Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you are 75K and W is open, and AS is reliably opening U on those routes, you are only behind other 75Ks on paid fares... so book award coach, enjoy the upgrade, and laugh at AS because you would have spent for saver A (award F), but if they would rather take LESS miles and give F seats as upgrades... I would probably live without the soup in the Alaska Lounge you get for an A award.

Lower elites and non elites probably get hit harder by this, I think. Also, AS maybe isn’t getting P (advance F) pricing right out of SFO if transcons routinely upgrade most of the cabin, or there are empty seats all the time.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also, AS maybe isn’t getting P (advance F) pricing right out of SFO if transcons routinely upgrade most of the cabin, or there are empty seats all the time.

I think this will be management's excuse for Q3. Just look at SFO-JFK/EWR for tonight. One seat taken in F to EWR and 2 to JFK. Meanwhile both B6 redeyes are sold out in Mint, 3 UA flights to EWR are sold out in business, AA business is sold out, DL's 1st red eye is sold out. With just a couple hours left until flight time, has AS completely lost all their elites from SFO or is revenue management completely messed up and just leaving the F cabins empty on a prime flight in the middle of the summer? LAX is not that much better either. Tonight's flight to BOS has zero F seats booked. Getting really hard to believe AS management's story that lower revenue from award booking hurts earnings when now they are flying empty F cabins. Who in their right mind would pay $1999 to fly on AS SFO to JFK which is the price they are offering? Some revenue > no revenue. Thus they either need to offer a fare people will be willing to pay, up the product to meet the price, or give the seats away for upgrades and awards to keep loyal passengers happy. At this point, they have chosen none of the above for the transcon F seats from California.
NWplatinum, jjmadison and SFOPeter like this.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jul 29, 2018 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I think this will be management's excuse for Q3. Just look at SFO-JFK/EWR for tonight. One seat taken in F to EWR and 2 to JFK. Meanwhile both B6 redeyes are sold out in Mint, 3 UA flights to EWR are sold out in business, AA business is sold out, DL's 1st red eye is sold out. With just a couple hours left until flight time, has AS completely lost all their elites from SFO or is revenue management completely messed up and just leaving the F cabins empty on a prime flight in the middle of the summer? LAX is not that much better either. Tonight's flight to BOS has zero F seats booked. Getting really hard to believe AS management's story that lower revenue from award booking hurts earnings when now they are flying empty F cabins. Who in their right mind would pay $1999 to fly on AS SFO to JFK which is the price they are offering? Some revenue > no revenue. Thus they either need to offer a fare people will be willing to pay, up the product to meet the price, or give the seats away for upgrades and awards to keep loyal passengers happy. At this point, they have chosen none of the above for the transcon F seats from California.
and unfortunately it is not just transcons...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Clarification? Are you saying the seats are going out empty? Or are they upgrading gateside? If the latter, isn't AS is (sort of) rewarding loyalty, but just making elites sweat it out while AS attempts lamely to squeeze every last drop of revenue out of the F cabin? (BTW, wasn't this kind of bean counting shenanigans what many pundits predicted when they elevated Tilden to CEO?) I read the transcript of the Q2 earnings call and was struck with the extent to which AS is now pandering to the Wall Street crowd relative to restricting saver award inventory (not to mention the other "enhancements" adopted by AS in recent years).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Clarification? Are you saying the seats are going out empty? Or are they upgrading gateside? If the latter, isn't AS is (sort of) rewarding loyalty, but just making elites sweat it out while AS attempts lamely to squeeze every last drop of revenue out of the F cabin? (BTW, wasn't this kind of bean counting shenanigans what many pundits predicted when they elevated Tilden to CEO?) I read the transcript of the Q2 earnings call and was struck with the extent to which AS is now pandering to the Wall Street crowd relative to restricting saver award inventory (not to mention the other "enhancements" adopted by AS in recent years).
If there were ever a domestic flight where a premium seat should be in demand, it would be on an overnight flight as otherwise, it can be quite a miserable experience. If the flight is leaving in less than 2 hours and zero F seats are sold and nobody has been upgraded, that would mean that nobody got upgraded or bought an F ticket in advance. Who knows if at the gate some people were given last minute upgrades but if the cabin is empty and there are high level elites booked, would it really be necessary to wait until right before flight time? Will be interesting to see the current and next quarters financial results with the raising of close in F award seats to ridiculous point levels. I would expect it would do more to drive people to other carriers than to get people to use up 70,000 points one way to get to from one coast to the other.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I***if the cabin is empty and there are high level elites booked, would it really be necessary to wait until right before flight time?***
Agree with this. But obviously AS does not...and I'd conjecture that the decision to do it this way is being made above the level of the revenue managers. Once again reflecting on the Q2 earnings call, I'd suggest that:
(1) It's all about enhancing shareholder value, meaning growth of top and bottom lines.
(2) Satisfaction of elites is primarily a marketing problem. It's not something that's likely to percolate to the top unless traditional measures of financial success turn down. As Q2 illustrates, concerns in the executive suite focus on reducing giveaways, not providing more.
(3) The big wigs also know that complaining elites don't have much in the way of realistic alternatives. Sure, you can cherry pick a route here or there on which you can choose another carrier, but in terms of an airline that consistently rewards loyalty in a meaningful way, does one exist any more?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:17 pm

I’m completely confused about what constitutes saver space, and what does not constitute saver space?

So I just got a 10k award from SEA-IAH in the main cabin. F was 60k.

But I can’t find anything for less than 30k on days I want to travel to LAX.

Similarly on my BA return award I just flew I couldn’t find anything for less than 20-30k from PHX to Seattle, and just ended up purchasing a ticket. It use to be, as many of you are aware, that the main cabin was 12.5 for saver and 25k for non-saver. First class awards were 25k for saver, and 50k for non-saver. Easy.

But the new system which can range from 10k-70k has me completely confused and scratching my head. I’m never sure if an award is saver or non-saver. I’m not complaining as that’s old news, I just want to understand the new system. Can someone just elaborate and make this easy for me so I know what to look for when trying to piece together saver F awards and tacking on an AS segment on JL, BA, EK, CX, and AA?

Thank you
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I can say is you must be really bad at using the AS award view by calendar.

I stopped following this thread because of work I had to do. This was shown to be booked well in advance. I was referring to flights to LAX that you could always find saver space in both cabins a few days before. That is impossible now.

In any event, I’m past the complaining part because it is what it is. I just want to understand what constitutes “saver” space and what doesn’t when combining them with partner awards?
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mczlaw
(2) Satisfaction of elites is primarily a marketing problem. It's not something that's likely to percolate to the top unless traditional measures of financial success turn down. As Q2 illustrates, concerns in the executive suite focus on reducing giveaways, not providing more.
(3) The big wigs also know that complaining elites don't have much in the way of realistic alternatives. Sure, you can cherry pick a route here or there on which you can choose another carrier, but in terms of an airline that consistently rewards loyalty in a meaningful way, does one exist any more?
Redeeming miles on partners is likely more costly for them than redeeming on home metal. The $25 partner booking fee doesn't come close to their costs, I would imagine. If people book more domestic/Mexico/Hawaii awards on AA as a result of this, and/or fewer connecting legs on AS, that could theoretically hurt AS in the pocketbook.

I agree they're probably just following orders from the top. Their revenue management doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in many cases. It seems they have little ability to predict what's going to happen, so they don't know how to release correctly.

I had a SFO-ORD-Europe award in J. SFO-ORD was in Y (W) on a VX 320, everything else was in J. A week before the flight, the A320 is showing F7 with all 8 seats unassigned. U is 0 the whole time, A never was released. 2 hours and 1 minute before departure, same condition. F7 U0, all 8 seats unassigned. At the 2-hour mark, they dump the whole cabin to upgrades. Yes, 8 upgrades including us.

Sure it worked out in the end, but dumping an entire cabin like that shows they really have no clue about what's going on and likely left money on the table.

The other part it's not clear they realize is that by at least having U ahead of time, it encourages people to buy up. I had a recent NYC transcon where I was on a $129 or so cheapie. Saw the U open up and I up-fared to K + GGU. I have paid up many times because of the availability of upgrade space.
jjmadison and SFOPeter like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
But the new system which can range from 10k-70k has me completely confused and scratching my head. I’m never sure if an award is saver or non-saver. I’m not complaining as that’s old news, I just want to understand the new system. Can someone just elaborate and make this easy for me so I know what to look for when trying to piece together saver F awards and tacking on an AS segment on JL, BA, EK, CX, and AA?

Thank you
If its 12.5K or less saver is available. The cheaper awards are not available because they have advance purchase restriction, further out they need not only W award space but revenue buckets R/G/T to become available. If its over 12.5K there is no saver W at all. Here is example (and shockingly has saver space the day of a 3 day holiday):

Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
If its 12.5K or less saver is available. The cheaper awards are not available because they have advance purchase restriction, further out they need not only W award space but revenue buckets R/G/T to become available. If its over 12.5K there is no saver W at all. Here is example (and shockingly has saver space the day of a 3 day holiday):

thank you. So we’re playing by the old rules (sort of). If it’s 12.5 or less for coach and 25k or less for F, then it’s saver?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by channa
Redeeming miles on partners is likely more costly for them than redeeming on home metal. The $25 partner booking fee doesn't come close to their costs, I would imagine. If people book more domestic/Mexico/Hawaii awards on AA as a result of this, and/or fewer connecting legs on AS, that could theoretically hurt AS in the pocketbook.

I agree they're probably just following orders from the top. Their revenue management doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in many cases. It seems they have little ability to predict what's going to happen, so they don't know how to release correctly.

I had a SFO-ORD-Europe award in J. SFO-ORD was in Y (W) on a VX 320, everything else was in J. A week before the flight, the A320 is showing F7 with all 8 seats unassigned. U is 0 the whole time, A never was released. 2 hours and 1 minute before departure, same condition. F7 U0, all 8 seats unassigned. At the 2-hour mark, they dump the whole cabin to upgrades. Yes, 8 upgrades including us.

Sure it worked out in the end, but dumping an entire cabin like that shows they really have no clue about what's going on and likely left money on the table.

The other part it's not clear they realize is that by at least having U ahead of time, it encourages people to buy up. I had a recent NYC transcon where I was on a $129 or so cheapie. Saw the U open up and I up-fared to K + GGU. I have paid up many times because of the availability of upgrade space.
Yes, it’s stupid and annoying stuff like this that has ruined the program when it comes to tacking on an AS segment. If they aren’t going to release space, at least let us combine AA with the rest of their partners for domestic repositioning.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:04 pm

Stop counting beans

The bean counting as AS within the past year has gotten absurd. I used to book direct with AS and never even price compare.

No more. Throwing out all the good from their award program and the silly 60 day change....congrats you're now any other airline!

Half of my upcoming travel is now on Delta. Good luck to you Alaska. Poor job throwing billions at Virgin America only to dispose of it.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
The bean counting as AS within the past year has gotten absurd. I used to book direct with AS and never even price compare.

No more. Throwing out all the good from their award program and the silly 60 day change....congrats you're now any other airline!

Half of my upcoming travel is now on Delta. Good luck to you Alaska. Poor job throwing billions at Virgin America only to dispose of it.
It’s a real shame. AS also makes your username true now.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:57 am

I find AS award space a bit bizarre. I know summer is peak season to HI but they are selling $184 one way saver fares on OAK-LIH in May but don't have any saver award space open. Zero! On both AS and through AA.com on AS. (Yes, I know AA just gets access to saver award space on AS but mentioning it as it seems there are some posts about how AS is upcharging for close-in award bookings while still passing on saver space to partners.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.