Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
IMO the best and only non-ripoff use of AS miles is for international business class partner awards.
I was pretty happy this summer with multiple west coast leg-SEA/PDX stopover-transcon F awards for 25k miles, especially in VX F. Easy to get $500+ of value for your 25k miles there.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Unfortunately OP's experience is the same as mine - this is SOP for AS if you are looking for seats to Hawaii or peak-date seats to Mexico, etc.

IMO the best and only non-ripoff use of AS miles is for international business class partners.
I don’t agree at all. This summer I redeemed 12.5k AS miles for a one way ticket that would have cost several hundred dollars at the last minute so my daughter could join me for what is literally a once in a lifetime event. I’ve done that for a stranger at the time I made a redemption, too (daughter of a deceased friend despairing about not having money to fly back to her job in Anchorage from the funeral in Seattle).

It’s not as snazzy as CX F but hundreds of dollars saved is well worth it to me.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don’t agree at all. This summer I redeemed 12.5k AS miles for a one way ticket that would have cost several hundred dollars at the last minute ... hundreds of dollars saved is well worth it to me.
concur 100%

25k each for a SEA-JNU round-trip four days in advance (cash price well over $800, and surprise UGs on the return); 25k for TCON F on VX (one booked about 10 days out, one booked a month or so out; I’ve seen ‘em inside a week) ... yeah, I think my wife and I will really enjoy CX J or F, but those trips aren’t on the radar for another couple years
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I was pretty happy this summer with multiple west coast leg-SEA/PDX stopover-transcon F awards for 25k miles, especially in VX F. Easy to get $500+ of value for your 25k miles there.
Or get a good travel agent (COUGH).

I just saved a Juneauite a lot of miles AND some significant dough. They are going to San Diego this weekend -- AS wants $680. I got them to LA for $181 YES, this Saturday) and then the train is only $35 down to Oceanside.

I also recommend folks buy tickets out of Anchorage to, I dunno, almost anywhere. And use 5k MP miles to fly JNU-ANC and just give some time for a connection.

+1 for retail travel agents who also happen to be former airline pricing executives.

(ok moderators, I'll go back to my corner and not push my agency....)
Yoshi212 and pbelmore like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Your opinion & experience, while entirely valid, does not prove anything. When you look at standards & experiences across the broad spectrum you'll find examples that prove and disprove your statement but more so than not you'll find they disprove your and the OP's statements. Both my own experience and your own are anecdotal but when combined with the multitude of expressed results of use of the AS system your limited experience falls by the wayside.

Limited results on on a limited network to get to specific places at variable times does not mean the desired result does not or has not existed. Being outside the standard alliance network further limits results especially with the now more limited domestic network with the departure of DL. Hawaii & Mexico are considerably easier to get to via award travel when compared to numerous destinations across the globe due to limited connectivity. I can find 4 tickets to Hawaii from SFO or LAX on 9 different randomly selected days over 240 days in advance via general airline (beyond just AS) searches but can only find 3 tickets total to an exotic destination such as MLE at the 200 day mark as there is considerably less lift to the destination. This stays relevant as partner awards are generally restricted to saver level awards especially in premium cabins.

To add my own anecdotal yet still relevant experience, as it proves the ability to use the system in various ways over a period of time vs the inability to use in specified limited ways, I was able to use AS via their own award program and via partner award programs to book 8 award tickets over 5 routes for 6 different people (some one ways and others RT with some traveling solo and others as a couple) for family & friends during the past two years. Was it easy? Nope. Was it worth it? Yes as the savings was rather a great return.

Comparing AS to UA is futile as they are in no way equal in ability to offer such a result.

I do agree that the general best use of AS miles is on international premium cabin travel.
Unfortunately OP's experience is the same as mine - this is SOP for AS if you are looking for seats to Hawaii or peak-date seats to Mexico, etc.

IMO the best and only non-ripoff use of AS miles is for international business class partner awards.

With all due respect, this is true for AS but FALSE for other airlines. I have often found saver award economy seats on UA to Hawaii, Mexico etc. - sometimes at schedule open, sometimes 6 months, etc. But NEVER on AS. Now saver F seats are another matter...

Again, with all due respect this is simply not true. For some routes AS does not release any saver inventory at schedule open and for others it may only release within a few days of travel (if at all). And it is an AS problem though not entirely unique to AS as DL does the same thing.

So it has nothing to do with OP's timing - the seats were never there. Contrast to BA, which has made a public commitment to opening a certain # of seats on EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT when schedule is loaded. And yes some of those seats go fast...

Good luck with that. I agree that "saver awards" are in fact a fraud for some routes (on all airlines) but you will not see any transparency from any of the airlines absent new legislation from Congress. Excepting of course airlines like WN that use a fare-based redemption program.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Nov 2, 2017 at 12:28 am Reason: Change US to UA
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Your opinion & experience, while entirely valid, does not prove anything. When you look at standards & experiences across the broad spectrum you'll find examples that prove and disprove your statement but more so than not you'll find they disprove your and the OP's statements. Both my own experience and your own are anecdotal but when combined with the multitude of expressed results of use of the AS system your limited experience falls by the wayside.

Limited results on on a limited network to get to specific places at variable times does not mean the desired result does not or has not existed. Being outside the standard alliance network further limits results especially with the now more limited domestic network with the departure of DL. Hawaii & Mexico are considerably easier to get to via award travel when compared to numerous destinations across the globe due to limited connectivity. I can find 4 tickets to Hawaii from SFO or LAX on 9 different randomly selected days over 240 days in advance via general airline (beyond just AS) searches but can only find 3 tickets total to an exotic destination such as MLE at the 200 day mark as there is considerably less lift to the destination. This stays relevant as partner awards are generally restricted to saver level awards especially in premium cabins.

To add my own anecdotal yet still relevant experience, as it proves the ability to use the system in various ways over a period of time vs the inability to use in specified limited ways, I was able to use AS via their own award program and via partner award programs to book 8 award tickets over 5 routes for 6 different people (some one ways and others RT with some traveling solo and others as a couple) for family & friends during the past two years. Was it easy? Nope. Was it worth it? Yes as the savings was rather a great return.

Comparing AS to US is futile as they are in no way equal in ability to offer such a result.

I do agree that the general best use of AS miles is on international premium cabin travel.
Beautifully stated and in full agreeance! I have had great success in booking the premium cabins internationally; 2 J or F from British Columbia to Europe return the last 5 summers for Mediterranean cruises and not one booked at T-330 or T-14. I have also booked EK, QS and CX premium flights in the last month for January & February during Southern Hemisphere Summer. They are there, just need to be a little tenacious and flexibility is your friend. I am also not adverse to an open jaw and hopping on a LCC for a short regional flight to reposition for an excellent award. I certainly don't say I want to go from here to there on this day at that time and when award space isn't available cry foul.

James
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This new pricing for awards has my head totally upside down, and I don’t know what’s going on. What price is now a saver award one way in the US on AS? Example: SEA-PHX, 20,000 miles?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
This new pricing for awards has my head totally upside down, and I don’t know what’s going on. What price is now a saver award one way in the US on AS? Example: SEA-PHX, 20,000 miles?
Alaska's web site has your answer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Price varies from 7500 to 30000 in the economy for SEA-PHX, a flight approximately 1100 miles in length.

For context, the award changes were discussed very thoroughly here.

Last edited by Calculon; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:09 am Reason: Add thread link
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Calculon
Alaska's web site has your answer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Price varies from 7500 to 30000 in the economy for SEA-PHX, a flight approximately 1100 miles in length.

For context, the award changes were discussed very thoroughly here.
I’m still extremely confused for what I specially need to know, sorry. So if I want to piece together a F award on BA to take AS, SEA-LAS, BALAS-LHR, LHR-AMS, how much does F on Alaska have to be to piece it together? Or to piece together an EK award, etc etc? What is the award “price” for F space on AS to get the saver award?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite

I’m still extremely confused for what I specially need to know, sorry. So if I want to piece together a F award on BA to take AS, SEA-LAS, BALAS-LHR, LHR-AMS, how much does F on Alaska have to be to piece it together? Or to piece together an EK award, etc etc? What is the award “price” for F space on AS to get the saver award?
You'd be looking to book into A fare (first saver award). For SEA-LAS (866 miles), that should be at 25k redemption level per the chart linked above, though if you're booking as a single award the SEA-LAS routing should be included/able to be added to your BA F redemption without additional miles used if I'm understanding your question correctly.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Your opinion & experience, while entirely valid, does not prove anything.
I wasn't trying to "prove" anything but rather just validating OP's comments based on my own admittedly limited experience. Of course you are free to provide your own data points. In my view that is the whole point of FT - to share and learn because the airlines are not transparent about award inventory.

Hawaii & Mexico are considerably easier to get to via award travel when compared to numerous destinations across the globe due to limited connectivity. I can find 4 tickets to Hawaii from SFO or LAX on 9 different randomly selected days over 240 days in advance via general airline (beyond just AS) searches
Happy to have your data points but they are not relevant to me. I am only concerned with finding saver nonstop inventory on specific dates and have been unable to do so over a number of years for SJD,CUN and OGG. YMMV.

Comparing AS to UA is futile as they are in no way equal in ability to offer such a result.
It may not be relevant to you but is relevant to someone who is trying to determine which program will best meet their particular needs. For saver award inventory (the subject of this thread) my results have been better on UA for peak dates/destinations. Of course, YMMV.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Beautifully stated and in full agreeance! I have had great success in booking the premium cabins internationally; 2 J or F from British Columbia to Europe return the last 5 summers for Mediterranean cruises and not one booked at T-330 or T-14. I have also booked EK, QS and CX premium flights in the last month for January & February during Southern Hemisphere Summer. They are there, just need to be a little tenacious and flexibility is your friend. I am also not adverse to an open jaw and hopping on a LCC for a short regional flight to reposition for an excellent award. I certainly don't say I want to go from here to there on this day at that time and when award space isn't available cry foul.
As noted in my prior response, I concur that premium cabin saver award travel is the best use of miles, and glad to have data points indicating that it is possible to find inventory (which is not often the case on other legacy carriers). However that data is not relevant to AS saver award inventory for its own metal.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Since the latest deval almost every single seat SFO-WAS is 70K each way for F. That is a 40% premium over UA First Everyday at 50K each way. Paid F is often 2-3x the competition. For SFO-NYC the only way to get cheaper F is if there is a $400 MVP75 upgrade fare.. which is really what they should just be selling their seats for vs. lieflat competition at $600. This program is starting to feel like DL SkyPesos! But I'm still gonna stick with it for a while and see what happens...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It may not be relevant to you but is relevant to someone who is trying to determine which program will best meet their particular needs. For saver award inventory (the subject of this thread) my results have been better on UA for peak dates/destinations. Of course, YMMV.

As noted in my prior response, I concur that premium cabin saver award travel is the best use of miles, and glad to have data points indicating that it is possible to find inventory (which is not often the case on other legacy carriers). However that data is not relevant to AS saver award inventory for its own metal.
Completely understandable. With saver availability and Partner awards you can book online, many many possibilities so they have some relevance to me too as connections to gateways.

James
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 12, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
You'd be looking to book into A fare (first saver award). For SEA-LAS (866 miles), that should be at 25k redemption level per the chart linked above, though if you're booking as a single award the SEA-LAS routing should be included/able to be added to your BA F redemption without additional miles used if I'm understanding your question correctly.
I’m really confused and kind of annoyed because I cannot find any space for huge lengths of time to match up an AS domestic saver award in first class (or Coach I don’t care) to match with EK, BA, CX or another carrier. All I see is 20 and 30k in coach and 50k for F for months and months going to AUS/PHX/LAS/DFW/IAH so it makes it impossible to get a saver award without buying a ticket to those cities. Or those the new saver prices to match up? Above is the new chart and I’m just confused what is now considered “saver space” in any cabin for the condition of matching it up to an EK, BA CX, or JL award. Are those the saver prices now? I am more than happy to fly coach on the short segments to meet the long first class segments on EK or BA or CX

Last edited by NWplatinum; Jul 12, 2018 at 2:25 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

I’m really confused and kind of annoyed because I cannot find any space for huge lengths of time to match up an AS domestic saver award in first class (or Coach I don’t care) to match with EK, BA, CX or another carrier. All I see is 20 and 30k in coach and 50k for F for months and months going to AUS/PHX/LAS/DFW/IAH so it makes it impossible to get a saver award without buying a ticket to those cities. Or those the new saver prices to match up? Above is the new chart and I’m just confused what is now considered “saver space” in any cabin for the condition of matching it up to an EK, BA CX, or JL award. Are those the saver prices now? I am more than happy to fly coach on the short segments to meet the long first class segments on EK or BA or CX
Anything Y over 12.5K is not saver
Anything over 25K/(30K for 2101+ mi) is not saver F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.