Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MKE-SEA Flight Bumped 20+ Passengers (10/22/17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MKE-SEA Flight Bumped 20+ Passengers (10/22/17)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Another example where loyalty, status DOES make a difference...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by diver858
Another example where loyalty, status DOES make a difference...
I was really, really, really happy to have qualified for MVP last week. I was dreading being one of those two people that was held off the flight.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, of course not, but as the day goes on, there are fewer options to rearrange crew schedules and/or delay or cancel other flights to obtain crew for a particular route. You can't undue what already happened early in the day. Early in the morning, most crew (unless they worked a late flight the day before) would be "fresh" and have the full amount of duty hours available, but as time progresses, this would be true for a smaller fraction of crew and those with only partial duty hours available would on average have the number of those hours drop.
I don't know what the actual terminology is, and I'm pretty sure that crew scheduling algorithms take this into account when looking for replacement crew members, but both pilots and cabin crew members on DL mainline can bid a dedicated "Reserve" line rather than an assigned rotation for the month ... for those individuals, it probably doesn't matter what time of day the phone rings (other than sleep schedules)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
...The process of reassigning seats and begging for more volunteers took roughly 45 minutes, in which time they didn't once increase the value of the voucher...which I found strange...
When our OAK-KOA flight had weight and balance issues last month they offered $400 cash in an attempt to get the 7 people they needed to get off. They made a big deal about how this was cash and not a voucher towards a future flight. Maybe that's their way of making it more tempting. The whole process took much too long in my humble opinion and I remember wondering why they didn't increase the offer to make the process move along.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
When our OAK-KOA flight had weight and balance issues last month they offered $400 cash in an attempt to get the 7 people they needed to get off. They made a big deal about how this was cash and not a voucher towards a future flight. Maybe that's their way of making it more tempting. The whole process took much too long in my humble opinion and I remember wondering why they didn't increase the offer to make the process move along.
AFAIK AS doesn't offer beyond $400 at a time, although talking with an agent a few weeks ago, they have offered a "CSR voucher" on top of the bump one before to add leverage. Just what AS does.

Have had situations like this before ex-PUW on a Q400 (everyone had lots of luggage going back from school- been nearly a decade though).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Fll-sea took 12 volunteers on Saturday, was a 737-800. Kinda surprised, but figured it was due to winds.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Fll-sea took 12 volunteers on Saturday, was a 737-800. Kinda surprised, but figured it was due to winds.
Wow.

This is a bit crazy. But not unprecedented. Guess AS can use the 73MAX
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Maybe this really doesn't hit SkyWest because they just chalk it up to "weather" and it is Alaska Air that suffers. I am not sure how this is handled from a contractual perspective. Ops can't handle resolve so it is put on the customers.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
While I rarely would believe anything a gate agent has to say about the "why" in a delay or other ops exception, I'd be thinking if I really wanted to get on the plane in the first place if fuel was such a concern that they had to leave luggage behind.

The FAA is very specific on fuel requirements, yet if the airline is concerned about "using every drop" I guess I'd be concerned too.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.167

91.167 Fuel requirements for flight in IFR conditions.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft in IFR conditions unless it carries enough fuel (considering weather reports and forecasts and weather conditions) to -

(1) Complete the flight to the first airport of intended landing;
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, fly from that airport to the alternate airport; and
(3) Fly after that for 45 minutes at normal cruising speed or, for helicopters, fly after that for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed.

(b) Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not apply if:

(1) Part 97 of this chapter prescribes a standard instrument approach procedure to, or a special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator for, the first airport of intended landing; and
(2) Appropriate weather reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, indicate the following:
(i)For aircraft other than helicopters. For at least 1 hour before and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 2,000 feet above the airport elevation and the visibility will be at least 3 statute miles.
(ii)For helicopters. At the estimated time of arrival and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 1,000 feet above the airport elevation, or at least 400 feet above the lowest applicable approach minima, whichever is higher, and the visibility will be at least 2 statute miles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by danbrew
The FAA is very specific on fuel requirements, yet if the airline is concerned about "using every drop" I guess I'd be concerned too.
I'd call using every drop a casual, wholly non-technical explanation -- not the operating plan.

Delta's MKE-SEA the same day - also a SkyWest E175 - had an even longer total departure-to-arrival time according to FlightStats.
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:22 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Heavy winds indeed:

Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:40 am

It's fairly rare that this happens. The 175 is a capable airplane. Yesterday MKE-SEA took a full load, all the bags and the flight time was 4:10 and there was room for nearly another 1,000lbs of payload. The fuel load was 90% of the maximum capacity of the airplane.

But, as the fuel load approaches the 95-97% range, the takeoff weight of the airplane goes down from 85,500lbs to about 83,000lbs. Embraer says this has to do with the wing loading of the airplane with the fuel out in the far outboard reaches of the fuel tanks. This leads to the situation encountered on Sunday where the fuel goes up only a little bit and suddenly the takeoff weight goes down 3,000lbs and you end up offloading a ton of pax. Personally I wonder if this isn't just an error in the math used to calculate the takeoff weight in the performance calculations but it's beyond my payscale to figure that out.

Finally the MKE station is really good about calculating weight restrictions in advance - they have always done the math before the inbound flight arrives - it's possible on Sunday they were taken by surprise with the obscure limitation cited above - possibly their planning software doesn't take account of the severe takeoff penalty at certain nearly full fuel loads.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts like the one above are why I love FlyerTalk.

Thanks for the fascinating, detailed info!
infinite97 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When were the 20 bumped pax told they would fly? On a DL flight leaving shortly thereafter? Or was there another AS flight that day?

$400 seems like a lowball offer unless there was another flight with a bunch of open seats 2-3 hours later.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
When were the 20 bumped pax told they would fly? On a DL flight leaving shortly thereafter? Or was there another AS flight that day?

$400 seems like a lowball offer unless there was another flight with a bunch of open seats 2-3 hours later.
$400 is AS' standard offer.

Maybe some routed thru ORD?

Thanks for the insight @Raymoland ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.