Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plan International Redemption Sweet Spots ?

Mileage Plan International Redemption Sweet Spots ?

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Like I said, if you're an AA veteran, you have "free stopover in the international gateway/hub on one ways" back on awards now that you switched to AS. I find that tremendously useful, even if I take it in the USA as opposed to overseas in LHR/HKG/DXB. Free transcon/one way to Hawaii or Mexico out of SEA tacked on to an award? Don't mind if I do.
I can see that being a useful benefit for flyers living on the coasts or in a AA hub. Less useful for those of us in flyover country. I actually hadn't been aware of the AA redemption benefits continuing, so this little discussion has given me a lot of useful information, thanks everybody.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Ah, thanks for the info. I also was thinking HAV would not be eligible so didn't mention Cuba either.
HAV is not eligible for award bookings. Not even a simple LAX-HAV. Revenue tickets only.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it would be MORE HELPFUL that the thread puts more focus on the "bookable" sweet spots. Those look good in theory (on the chart) but practically near impossible to book, are worth mentioning but not really useful at the end because without availability, the charts mean nothing.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
I can see that being a useful benefit for flyers living on the coasts or in a AA hub. Less useful for those of us in flyover country. I actually hadn't been aware of the AA redemption benefits continuing, so this little discussion has given me a lot of useful information, thanks everybody.
You realize that AA does not have such benefit since long time ago, but AS in theory still allows gateway stopovers. Though an FTer friend who is also a moderator on one of the forums, had encountered great resistance and had to do many HUCAs to get the award routed with a free one way to HNL. That was Sept last year when he tried to book the flight for his girl friend flying back earlier than he. So it is not a "shoot in the barrel" thing. It requires a lot of tenacity to get the result wanted.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by drminn
I can see that being a useful benefit for flyers living on the coasts or in a AA hub. Less useful for those of us in flyover country.
I would argue AS is not a particularly useful airline for someone living in flyover country, unless you're spending most of your time flying to the West Coast/Hawaii (or the limited network in DAL appeals to you), or you're willing to forgo most meaningful benefits while flying AS international partners. The fact that AS does not allow mix/match of partners means AA availability in "flyover country" restricts you to AA longhaul.

I mean... I GUESS you can do the "buy miles cheap, cash in for CX/EK/what have you". But AS doesn't have a partner like AMEX/Chase to generate flexible RDM that can go into multiple programs.

Originally Posted by Happy
I believe it would be MORE HELPFUL that the thread puts more focus on the "bookable" sweet spots. Those look good in theory (on the chart) but practically near impossible to book, are worth mentioning but not really useful at the end because without availability, the charts mean nothing.
AS Hawaii and Mexico add-ons to awards are not particularly impossible in my experience. AA Y to Europe/Asia isn't difficult at all during low season. AA J/F and AF/KL J is definitely in the QF F/J class of "not QUITE a unicorn but hard and you need to be lucky or flexible, book early and keep an eagle eye out".

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Rich Boykin
If you want J travel to asia, I've been happy with redemptions and hard/soft product on Hainan the past year. I flew them with my wife to Shanghai as well as another trip to Bangkok. I'm booked to fly RT SEA-BKK-SEA again in december as well. They might not have the 'best' hard product out there, but the soft product (food, service, etc) is good, and I had one of the best transfer experiences EVER in PEK connecting to BKK. For the 2 J passengers that were transiting, they opened up a special VIP customs/immigration/security section just for us and shuttled us through in a very efficient and white glove manner.

Flights to/from south east asia are 50k each way, albeit not always at the best routing times. For example my upcoming return from BKK in december is a 130am (!!) flight, but I land in Seattle at 1030 am 'same day', so at least thats OK
What you didn't mention is the fees are very high. I looked at same itinerary as you, and the fees were more than $600 per J ticket on Hainan roundtrip.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If you can find availability, CX F/J to NZ is pretty good value IMO. 80k miles one-way and you can take a stopover in HKG. Minimal fees (~$100).

There's no F to NZ of course but you can at least get it on the TPAC segment.

I'm taking off on just such an award in two days.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
If you can find availability, CX F/J to NZ is pretty good value IMO. 80k miles one-way and you can take a stopover in HKG. Minimal fees (~$100).

There's no F to NZ of course but you can at least get it on the TPAC segment.

I'm taking off on just such an award in two days.
Enjoy!! Spring in the Southern Hemisphere. 😎 I am doing a RTW early January to late February.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hey guys, not sure I get this right, but for me HKG - New Zealand for 30k Miles in J / 45k Miles in F seems awesome...
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Seattle - Dubai (stopover) - Asia on emirates business is still good value for ~100k points I believe.

I need the dubai stopover since a lot of family lives in the middle east area.
I agree with this. F is too expensive but the J really isn't that badly priced.

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Hey guys, not sure I get this right, but for me HKG - New Zealand for 30k Miles in J / 45k Miles in F seems awesome...
I don't think there is any partner to F to NZ other than EK which will cost wayyyy more than 45K
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:33 am

According to the award chart it is 30k in J with CX.
Just found this announcement, seems like CX will start a service HKG - CHC from Dec onwards.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hk-and-nz.html
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
CX does not fly F to Aus/NZ. Its not extraordinarily easy to find J to that region, but it does exist.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:04 am

Yes, just checked HKG - CHC in March next year. Seems C award space is not an easy thing to find and F is only available in the redemption chart :-/ But still for 30k I find it pretty decent if you find space to NZ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.