Can you pre-purchase WiFi on AS flight?

Reply

Old Oct 19, 17, 3:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
Can you pre-purchase WiFi on AS flight?

I've got a flight next week and was wanting to use WiFi on it. It's a Virgin America flight, BUT, I think it's now "considered" an Alaska flight since I added the flight to my Alaska profile and it shows up as a purchased trip under "MyTrips" on the Alaska page. It also shows up on my Virgin America account but the trip extra's is grayed out on that page and when I click on print receipt/view itinerary it says I must be on the other airlines page to print details on this flight.

I've looked around my Alaska page and I see no area for trip extra's or purchasing WiFi. I mainly wanted to so I wouldn't have to fight with it on the flight and in case it was cheaper in doing so ahead of time...
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: OR,ID
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 225
Yes you can and it is cheaper.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ment/wifi.aspx

Also, if you have T-Mobile you get a hour for free on each flight.
Idaho Territory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:09 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,576
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory View Post
Yes you can and it is cheaper.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ment/wifi.aspx

Also, if you have T-Mobile you get a hour for free on each flight.
Is this true on VX metal too? OP stated bought on AS and is on an AS ticket but it is VX metal. For crediting to FF account VX is like AS and we get some bennies but for everything else VX is just like a partner airline. The page you link to only mentions AS metal flights, nothing about VX.
Baze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:16 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: OR,ID
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 225
https://www.gogoair.com/list-all-products


Virgin America uses Gogo internet.
Idaho Territory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:16 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,998
https://www.gogoair.com/list-all-products

Note the one hour pass. Works for both VX and AS.

https://content.gogoair.com/participating-airlines/
eponymous_coward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 479
Even though its cheaper, I don't think you should buy it beforehand.

You never know what might happen - you might miss the flight, the flight could be delayed, the wifi on the flight might not be working at all or way too slow, you might not need to use wifi between now and next week (all your wifi-related work is done, you're fired rendering work irrelevant etc etc).

Maybe just create a gogo account and have your credit card info saved in that account, so you can buy it faster, but don't actually buy it till you're on the plane.
nomiiiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 5:58 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
I always forget that these can also be managed through a GoGo account and just getting passes from them... interesting to note that they're more expensive ($19/day vs $16/day from that Alaska page...) though...

Anyone know how much the going rate is on a SEA to LAX flight on Virgin America if I buy in flight?

This will just be to kill time and not for work... or at least I don't anticipate it being for work.... Do they still have reduced prices for mobile access? (I would just be using an iPhone)
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 7:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 86
Not all VX flights use Gogo, I took SFO-MSY last week and it's viasat on that flight

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory View Post
https://www.gogoair.com/list-all-products


Virgin America uses Gogo internet.
Yu Zhong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 7:57 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
This will just be to kill time and not for work... or at least I don't anticipate it being for work.... Do they still have reduced prices for mobile access? (I would just be using an iPhone)
No, the cheaper smartphone pass went away. Free chat of course.
rustykettel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 9:41 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 178
deleted
Newbie2FT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 9:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG LT Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,024
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Even though its cheaper, I don't think you should buy it beforehand.

You never know what might happen - you might miss the flight, the flight could be delayed, the wifi on the flight might not be working at all or way too slow, you might not need to use wifi between now and next week (all your wifi-related work is done, you're fired rendering work irrelevant etc etc).

Maybe just create a gogo account and have your credit card info saved in that account, so you can buy it faster, but don't actually buy it till you're on the plane.
In my experience, purchased passes, at least those bought directly via Gogo, are good for a year.
mbluecpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by mbluecpa View Post
In my experience, purchased passes, at least those bought directly via Gogo, are good for a year.
The all day passes are, but the one hour ones expire in 30 days.
rustykettel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Posts: 7,004
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory View Post
Yes you can and it is cheaper.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ment/wifi.aspx

Also, if you have T-Mobile you get a hour for free on each flight.
and if your spousal unit has a plan with unlimited gogo - you can just type in their number and have it for the whole flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
lalala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
No, the cheaper smartphone pass went away. Free chat of course.
At least as of a few months ago you could still buy the smartphone pass with some old links on the gogo site, though they might have finally fixed that.
billatq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:16 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by lalala View Post
and if your spousal unit has a plan with unlimited gogo - you can just type in their number and have it for the whole flight.
Note that if you have unlimited access via T-Mobile, you can only use one MAC address with this trick within a 24 hour period. One of my co-workers used mine without asking and it was a bit frustrating to not have it work the next day. $60/year unlimited gogo on T-Mobile is an amazing deal, so I think it's worth just paying for it.
be_rettSEA likes this.
billatq is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread