First and last time flying Alaska

Old Oct 18, 17, 12:15 am
Original Poster

First and last time flying Alaska

Flew MKE-SEA on Alaska (SkyWestAlaska or whatever they call themselves). Embrarer 175 with 4 rows in FC. I paid for the upgrade from coach to FC ($107...not bad).

FA seemed to have little clue how to run a FC cabin. When meals were passed out, she passed by me in row 2 and continued to serve the rows behind me (she started with row 1). My tray table was open and I asked her why she was skipping me. She apologized and delivered a meal.

Now, I realize that this was an RJ and a feeder airline. But, for cripes sake, can you have a little better food? The service started with a drink and warm nuts after a hot towel. Ok, good start. Im not expecting Singapore Airlines service here. But, the meal consisted of dry rice (about 1/3 of what I ate was crunchy), with some bits of cilantro in there. About 6 1 chunks of dry beef was on top of the rice, with about 2 slivers of sliced cooked onion and 2 slivers of sliced cooked green pepper.

Accompanying this entree delight was a salad consisting of mesclun greens, 1/8 slice small tomato, and about 10 shards of 1 long julienne carrot. A tub of dressing was provided as well as salt and pepper. I was shocked that there was no bread or cracker and no cookie, chocolate, or dessert of any kind. Jeez, how meager can you serve it?!?!

No thanks Alaska....you can keep your flights. I have other options....now I know better.
Old Oct 18, 17, 12:35 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
Yeah. That's pretty typical for a Skywest Mid con. Sorry you're so miffed. Happy flying.

Last edited by ryandc99; Oct 19, 17 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 18, 17, 1:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
I want to hear your feedback when you fly a route that is E175 Alaska by Horizon. I've finally done it. And it was awesome.
Old Oct 18, 17, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the OP wants a non-stop MKE-SEA he also has a Delta flight: another E170 or E175 operated by SkyWest! Maybe the catering will be better. I don't think any knowledgeable flyers look forward to 'dining' on regional carriers in the U.S.
Old Oct 18, 17, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I flew STL-PDX on a OO E175 in F. Both the food and service were fine. I am really not expecting an elaborate meal service on a E175. Likewise, I recently flew QX E175 SEA-SFO and their F service and meal was every bit as good as what I get on AS.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I flew Skywest on the E175 in first class on Monday from New York LGA to Dallas Love, then on to Seattle (same plane, same crew on both legs).

The food was fine, but the service was awful. The FA argued with the gate agents before getting on the plane (claiming they were lining people up to board too early), then complained about his schedule every time a boarding passenger asked "How are you?" His response was "The scheduling gods are mad at me so they're only letting me fly back and forth from New York to Dallas this month." A strange thing to say, since he went on to Seattle with us.

I was in seat 1A and overheard yet another kerfuffle with the gate agents when they brought the paperwork to the plane (again, the FA complaining about how early boarding had started, even though it was at exactly the time it was supposed to start, according to the Alaska app).

No refills on drinks, no matter how many times the FA passed someone's empty glass through the flight (each person had to specifically ask). And once the trays were collected, he stood in the galley just out of sight from most folks, texting on his phone (I guess the FAs are allowed to use the texting feature on Gogo?) for the rest of the flight.

The only complaint about the food is that the EXACT same meal was catered on both legs. I counted 5 people in first class who were on both legs, so why Skywest would do that when folks tend to continue on to Seattle from Dallas is beyond me.

Not a good experience.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:34 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Originally Posted by Red L View Post
I flew Skywest on the E175 in first class on Monday from New York LGA to Dallas Love, then on to Seattle (same plane, same crew on both legs).

The food was fine, but the service was awful.....Not a good experience.
I'll be flying this in December. Thanks for the review. I should have known, just because the aircraft indicate the Alaska name, the culture and service isn't always greener within.

Jiburi

OP: I'm curious on the comparison reviews of Skywest operated Delta flight vs. Alaska.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:44 am

While I understand some of the frustrations, flying an RJ and complaining about AS as a whole is akin to flying ASA and thinking that's how DL operates.

(This got me thinking, that AS should resurrect ASA, claim that it is a DL subsidiary, force SEA people to fly on it, and declare that that's how DL rolls)
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Flew OO on PDX - AUS earlier this year. It was fine, nothing special. I was more excited to have an A seat in F. That by itself is worth the upgrade.

Last edited by ryandc99; Oct 19, 17 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, you are basing you decision to never fly AS again based on one subpar experience on a contract regional jet flight? Try mainline first before you make your decision. And if your routes are only on RJ's maybe another airline is your best option.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Red L View Post

The food was fine, but the service was awful. The FA argued with the gate agents before getting on the plane (claiming they were lining people up to board too early), then complained about his schedule every time a boarding passenger asked "How are you?" His response was "The scheduling gods are mad at me so they're only letting me fly back and forth from New York to Dallas this month." A strange thing to say, since he went on to Seattle with us.

I was in seat 1A and overheard yet another kerfuffle with the gate agents when they brought the paperwork to the plane (again, the FA complaining about how early boarding had started, even though it was at exactly the time it was supposed to start, according to the Alaska app).
Sounds like the lead actor in my high school plays. Nobody could do anything right -- except him!
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
While I understand some of the frustrations, flying an RJ and complaining about AS as a whole is akin to flying ASA and thinking that's how DL operates.
The problem is that AS has branded these flights as AS, and are increasingly using Skywest to fuel its race to have lots of destinations. Folks who aren't frequent AS flyers aren't going to know that this isn't representative of AS (although from what I've seen of the mainline meals on the F meal thread, I don't think the food is much better mainline).

The sad thing is that the meal OP is describing is one of the BETTER meals that you'll get on the E175s. Try one of the terrible chicken dishes, or heaven forbid, the Costco tortellini, and you'll really be disappointed.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If a flight like this caused me to have a "never flying again" rant, there wouldn't be any airlines left to fly!
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:58 am

The problem isnt with OP. It is with how Alaska and other majors brand these regionals.
How do you know it is Skywest? Cause the plane doesnt have the Alaska
logo? Cause you checkin at a different airline's desk?
Oh, you mean the small print that says operated by Skywest that may show up on your boarding info sheet?
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
The problem isnt with OP. It is with how Alaska and other majors brand these regionals.
How do you know it is Skywest? Cause the plane doesnt have the Alaska
logo? Cause you checkin at a different airline's desk?
Oh, you mean the small print that says operated by Skywest that may show up on your boarding info sheet?
The plane literally says SkyWest on it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: