Wiki Posts
Search

Coat closet "completely full"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Coat closet "completely full"

Just boarded the PDX-DAL flight this morning. Was in F, so boarded pretty early (probably third or fourth person on the plane). I had a suit jacket with me that I didn't want to get wrinkled up, so I asked the FA to put it in the closet. I've done this many times on AS flights. Never a question. This time, the annoyed FA says she can't do it and the closet is completely full...very strange considering that there was almost no one else on the plane yet. Catering guy in fluorescent jacket comes in, opens the closet to put some cups and munchies in. I see that the closet is far from "completely full". In fact, only two small bags that can easily fit in any of the overheads (see picture). Why the need to lie to a customer? I'm confused by this. Alaska cabin crew is usually very friendly and the service has been excellent so far and maybe this was having a bad day, but leave the attitude at home, don't lie, and do your job.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I believe that is a SkyWest operated E175 flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SkyWest explains everything.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Yeah, that seems to be the excuse that a lot of airlines use. "It's not us, we only take your money and put our name in huge letters across the plane"
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Raise it with AS. It is the AS brand at stake, Skywest is a contractor to AS and your entire arrangement is with AS. Make sure you include the photo.

Using loaded terms such as "lie" never gets you far, but I would have gone back at the FA noting that the closet apparently is not full and thus please hang the jacket.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Quite common for FAs to put their bags in the coat closet. Their needs to be a separate compartment for them in the back of the plane on all narrowbody aircrafts
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Using loaded terms such as "lie" never gets you far
What other term is there for what occurred? I've always found it odd when people are offended by the truth. If you don't like being called out on lying, don't lie.

In my opinion, we should call a spade a spade. The more this is brought to the forefront, the less often it will occur.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
What other term is there for what occurred? I've always found it odd when people are offended by the truth. If you don't like being called out on lying, don't lie.

In my opinion, we should call a spade a spade. The more this is brought to the forefront, the less often it will occur.
The OP can and should write to AS and call out the lie. Pointing it out to a clearly lazy and unmotivated FA who just lied to you will most likely get you thrown off the plane.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
People, are you all blind? The answer is simple, and the flight attendant was honest. The closet was full ... of hot air. The FA's own hot air.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by formeraa
The OP can and should write to AS and call out the lie. Pointing it out to a clearly lazy and unmotivated FA who just lied to you will most likely get you thrown off the plane.
While I agree it would be bad form to call out the flight attendant on the plane, my point was that using the term "lie" when reporting the FA to AS is completely reasonable in my eyes.

Beyond that, if you and others honestly feel calling out an FA will most likely get you thrown off the plane, then we as passengers have a serious disconnect between reasonable expectations of customer service at AS and that of other industries. I would fire any one of my employees who responded to a customer complaint in that manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.