Club 49 "Freight For Less"

Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Club 49 "Freight For Less"

A new benefit announced via email this morning:

Starting today when traveling within the state of Alaska, Club 49 members can book up to 100 pounds of freight through Alaska Air Cargo for a flat rate of $10. Individual shipments dropped off at Alaska Air Cargo within 24 hours of arrival or departure are eligible for the deeply discounted rate. Additionally, the airline is adding an every day cargo benefit, where members can ship up to 100 pounds of cargo to 17 Alaska communities for a flat rate of $40.

"We know that air travel and freight are a way of life in our great state, especially in rural Alaska," said Marilyn Romano, Alaska Airlines' regional vice president. "By adding Freight for Less to our lineup of Club 49 benefits, Alaskans can save money when they travel with or ship their gear and their groceries all on Alaska Airlines."

Freight for Less marks the fourth tier of Alaska Airlines' Club 49 program, which includes two free checked bags, access to weekly fare sales and two "Travel Now" discounts, valid for 30 percent off last-minute travel.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
I wish they offered it interstate as well, but still a great deal!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
The inside 24 hours 100lbs for $10 is a smoking deal
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
I wish they offered it interstate as well, but still a great deal!

There's a reason the "Club 49" benefits are limited to Alaska residents - this type of deal is not a convenience, it's a necessity.

Within the state of Alaska there are many communities that are not located on the road system. Air freight or postal shipping are the typical ways that people can get supplies to their home location.

People often stock up on supplies at the Big Box stores when they visit Anchorage. This new perk will allow them to get their necessary purchases home at a lower cost than in the past.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
FYI, I live in Anchorage and often work in remote communities, so I understand those challenges.

That being said, Anchorage has its supply chain challenges and we SUFFER from missing out on a lot of niceties as well! So, while I understand that people in Kotzebue will be able to more affordably ship their Costco pallet up, it would also be nice for people in Anchorage to be able to ship their [Ikea, west elm, crawfish, family heirlooms, super cub parts, etc] from the L48.

I often purchase things in Seattle (or New Orleans or ... or ...) that I would like to have in AK and air freight them up if practical (known shipper). So - I would be an Alaska resident who could benefit from having this be interstate as well. Some things just don't make it here by regular channels.

In any case, it is a smoking deal and thanks for the splanation!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.