Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SF Bay Area Fire Waiver expanded / extended

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

Santa Rosa (STS)
Sacramento (SMF)
San Francisco (SFO)
San Jose (SJC)
Oakland (OAK)

Original Travel Dates
October 9 - October 13, 2017
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:07 pm

Was planning to SDC an SFO flight tonight at 10 but able to do that now without waiting
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Sitting in SFO waiting for VX1816 to PDX and AS387 (to PDX) at the next gate have been cancelled due to ATC is now operating from SJC and there is a shuttle bus from SFO to SJC.

Edit: Not sure what's going on with AS315 (to SEA) can't tell if it's canceled or now operating from OAK.

Last edited by rustykettel; Oct 11, 2017 at 5:47 pm Reason: updated info
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:04 pm

If there are three hour SFO delays again tomorrow night, hopefully I can switch to OAK-PDX. That flight is currently full however.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Sitting in SFO waiting for VX1816 to PDX and AS387 (to PDX) at the next gate have been cancelled due to ATC is now operating from SJC and there is a shuttle bus from SFO to SJC.
Gah! I am on AS 387 on Friday and really need to get home (PDX is connection to QX). What time did the shuttle bus leave SFO? Any idea if passengers received notification early enough to head to SJC on their own? Could presumably change the rental car return if needed.

(and yes, very minor problems in the big picture, compared to the residents of the North Bay)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Conditions are supposed to be worse tomorrow. Some ash was falling at home this afternoon (Berkeley).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Gah! I am on AS 387 on Friday and really need to get home (PDX is connection to QX). What time did the shuttle bus leave SFO? Any idea if passengers received notification early enough to head to SJC on their own? Could presumably change the rental car return if needed.

(and yes, very minor problems in the big picture, compared to the residents of the North Bay)
Why not call AS and ask to be changed to a SJC flight now? Then you'll know when and where you have to be.

Neil
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Why not call AS and ask to be changed to a SJC flight now? Then you'll know when and where you have to be.

Neil
You should be able to do it online as well
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Not sure since I was just sitting next to it. SFO was bad today for AS/VX operations imo. The lack of a single everything really hampers irrops but the employees have been very good with trying to paper over company differences as best they can to serve customers. None of that "not my company" mentality evident in any employees I've interacted with.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
On DFW - SFO, was delayed 3.5 hours.

Terrible. Hopefully it's cleared up by Sat...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Terrible. Hopefully it's cleared up by Sat...
Unlikely. The north wind is expected to be much stronger on Saturday than it was yesterday/last night. The Atlas fire is spreading southward and could reach I-80 between Fairfield and Vallejo today, with the smoke plumes inundating the SFBA. It isn't clear to me where CalFire is trying to reinforce the southern line, which was compromised overnight due to the active north wind.

SMF is operating very normally and I am surprised to see the waiver include that airport. For those who need to get into/out of northern CA and are impatient with delays, I would consider taking advantage and re-booking into SMF or maybe OAK.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SMF to the Bay Area is a long drive, especially to SF and Silicon Valley. Are the roads along this route at risk?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:27 am

Inbound 3 hour delays at SFO today. No delays at OAK or SJC.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SMF to the Bay Area is a long drive, especially to SF and Silicon Valley. Are the roads along this route at risk?
I don't know if I-80 at Fairfield is at risk of closure (there are apparently evacs in Fairfield) but there are other routes further south to get to Sacto. I used to weekend-commute between the peninsula and Sacramento and I often took I-580/I-5 via Tracy/Stockton simply because the traffic looked better (this was in the early days of Google Maps showing red/yellow/green road conditions).

Originally Posted by missamo80
I took a quick look and there don't seem to be any viable (for me) flights from SJC/OAK to PDX. Haven't had time to look at routing via SEA. Also doesn't help that I am 5 miles south of SFO, which would make for a really sucky drive to OAK or SJC on a Friday afternoon.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, not really. There is a potential the fire could reach I-80 near Fairfield, but I doubt CalFire is going to allow that to happen without a serious intervention effort.

I'm just conveying the info that SMF is operating 100% normally (well, absent the potential QX issues which are unrelated).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.