AS10 SEA-MCO 30SEP diversion

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

AS10 SEA-MCO 30SEP diversion

AS10 diverted to ATL en route to MCO due to a flight deck medical emergency. Thanks to ops and crew scheduling, a new crew member was available and there was only a short delay for fueling and the swap out. Hoping for a swift and full recovery.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Indeed. Sounds like AS managed this quite well- hope the crewmember is ok.

Does AS staff extra crew somewhere on the East Coast, or was this person "borrowed" from another flight I wonder.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Indeed. Sounds like AS managed this quite well- hope the crewmember is ok.

Does AS staff extra crew somewhere on the East Coast, or was this person "borrowed" from another flight I wonder.
My guess is grabbed crew from arriving the SEA-ATL flight. AS750 landed in ATL at 4:17 this morning ~20 min before the diverted flight arrived. I assume the ATL crew doesn't normally work the return flight and its short enough that they don't go over max duty time.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
My guess is grabbed crew from arriving the SEA-ATL flight. AS750 landed in ATL at 4:17 this morning ~20 min before the diverted flight arrived. I assume the ATL crew doesn't normally work the return flight and its short enough that they don't go over max duty time.
"Flight deck" suggests a pilot. Not sure that SEA-ATL-SEA would be legal.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP*G, HH Dia, AA G 1Mil, MR Pltnm, former HHonors manager at a Hilton property in San Diego
I was on that flight in row 1 of First.

About an hour into the flight the first officer fell ill. One of the pax was a doctor and saw to him at the forward FA jump seats with two FAs helping and guarding, while the flight continued to MCO. Around BHM, the doctor decided the FO needed additional care and ordered the flight to divert.

Upon landing at ATL the flight was met by an ambulance.

We did get a replacement FO from the SEA-ATL flight as that pilot only had 4 of 15 hours. When we landed in MCO, the FO was to be flown back to ATL.

According to the Captain, OPS organized the backup pilot and he volunteered.

The crew did an incredible job.
bmvaughn and missamo80 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP*G, HH Dia, AA G 1Mil, MR Pltnm, former HHonors manager at a Hilton property in San Diego
Originally Posted by flytoeat
We found out that crew was laying over at ATL, not returning to SEA.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

But an ATL-MCO tag probably would be. Its also possible that there was a deadhead or jumpseat rider available.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if he had the fish or the lasagna . . .
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
I wonder if he had the fish or the lasagna . . .
Shirley you can't be serious??
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Sorry, misread as MCO-SEA. Certainly possible to add on a legal ATL-MCO leg to a SEA-ATL one, assuming pilot began in SEA.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
But an ATL-MCO tag probably would be. Its also possible that there was a deadhead or jumpseat rider available.
There would be more than enough time before hitting max duty time. I'm not sure about pilot but FA max duty time is ten hours and thirty minutes w/ some exceptions. With the extra leg pilot couldn't have been at more than 8 hours.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDKing
There would be more than enough time before hitting max duty time. I'm not sure about pilot but FA max duty time is ten hours and thirty minutes w/ some exceptions. With the extra leg pilot couldn't have been at more than 8 hours.
Pilot max duty time is lower than FAs.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text..._A_to_part_117

But still within scope on that trip because the plane landed at ATL so close to the original. So the total time remained under 8 hours.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Shirley you can't be serious??
I am serious, and quit calling me Shirley.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by FREEquentflyerJake
I was on that flight in row 1 of First.

About an hour into the flight the first officer fell ill. One of the pax was a doctor and saw to him at the forward FA jump seats with two FAs helping and guarding, while the flight continued to MCO. Around BHM, the doctor decided the FO needed additional care and ordered the flight to divert.

Upon landing at ATL the flight was met by an ambulance.

We did get a replacement FO from the SEA-ATL flight as that pilot only had 4 of 15 hours. When we landed in MCO, the FO was to be flown back to ATL.

According to the Captain, OPS organized the backup pilot and he volunteered.

The crew did an incredible job.
I'm really glad they made the decision to divert. One clarification, and I realize I'm splitting hairs, but an doctor onboard can't order a flight to divert - only Medlink doctors can do that. A doctor onboard can certainly convey the gravity of a situation to Medlink, but ultimately, the decision is between the Captain and Medlink. Medlink, being the contracted emergency medical service that Alaska works with when something goes awry on a flight, medically speaking.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
... an doctor onboard can't order a flight to divert - only Medlink doctors can do that. A doctor onboard can certainly convey the gravity of a situation to Medlink, but ultimately, the decision is between the Captain and Medlink....
And further hair-splitting: the final authority is always the Captain's; the FAR (Federal Air Regulation) that both guides and chastens every pilot:

91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.3

Of course, that doesn't mean AS doesn't have internal procedures and consultative process set up (and procedures when a pilot deviates from those), but, in the end, the Pilot-in-Command is the only one responsible for the final decision - for better or worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.