AS10 SEA-MCO 30SEP diversion

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FREEquentflyerJake
I was on that flight in row 1 of First.

About an hour into the flight the first officer fell ill. One of the pax was a doctor and saw to him at the forward FA jump seats with two FAs helping and guarding, while the flight continued to MCO. Around BHM, the doctor decided the FO needed additional care and ordered the flight to divert.

Upon landing at ATL the flight was met by an ambulance.

We did get a replacement FO from the SEA-ATL flight as that pilot only had 4 of 15 hours. When we landed in MCO, the FO was to be flown back to ATL.

According to the Captain, OPS organized the backup pilot and he volunteered.

The crew did an incredible job.
Thanks for the first hand report. One of the things that makes FT so special @:-)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:51 pm
vgc

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the first hand report. One of the things that makes FT so special @:-)
2nd'ed!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
And further hair-splitting: the final authority is always the Captain's; the FAR (Federal Air Regulation) that both guides and chastens every pilot:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.3

Of course, that doesn't mean AS doesn't have internal procedures and consultative process set up (and procedures when a pilot deviates from those), but, in the end, the Pilot-in-Command is the only one responsible for the final decision - for better or worse.

yup to all of it. MedLink is a medical service on the ground that assumes all risk in medical situations on board when they are consulted, as long as their instructions are followed. They make the call to divert or not. Obviously, the Captain has final authority over decisions about what a plane does or not, but the company has policies that dictate what the Pilots do with regards to these decisions. I can't think of a scenario where a Pilot would refuse to divert if MedLink made that decision. In my experience, MedLink is usually fairly conservative when it comes to advising a diversion.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 2, 2017 at 9:22 am Reason: Add link.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Is there a reaaon the Medlink communication ports are over Row 4 on the 737-900s and not somewhere closer to the forward galley?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Is there a reaaon the Medlink communication ports are over Row 4 on the 737-900s and not somewhere closer to the forward galley?
they're not just over row 4, but also near the exit rows and at the back of the plane. The idea is that you would be on the headset with Medlink as you are tending to the passenger, or someone else... In either case, you aren't often going to be in the galley talking to Medlink, unless that's where the passenger is as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.