Turns out my assigned seat wasn't!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Turns out my assigned seat wasn't!?

This is a new one for me.

I'm flying tomorrow and when I checked in discovered I was in seat 7E. What? I groom my reservations regularly, and as recently as yesterday I was shown as in seat 6F on the Alaska site. Contacted Alaska via Twitter and they said "I see you're in 6F".

Clearly not what my boarding card said, so I forwarded them a screenshot of the boarding card showing 7E.

Response back? "I see it was booked through a travel agency. They put in a request for 6F but it was not available". The travel agency was everyone's favourite: Concur.

Has anyone seen this before? Why would the Alaska site show me as actually being in a seat in the days leading up to check-in time that I'm not actually assigned?

Neil
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

It gets better: now they're saying there was an aircraft swap after I checked in which is why the seat assignment got changed.

Neil
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Twitter customer care reverted back to saying it's because Concur requested the seat but it was never confirmed, therefore I never had it. Called in to the MVP line and an agent put me on a 15 minute (!!!) hold to look into it.

Came back and said "oh, it was an aircraft swap, and when that happens everyone gets booted out of their seat and it all gets jumbled up".

Seriously???

Neil
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Lol. This just keeps getting better and better. The app shows me as "Waitlisted for first class" but I'm nowhere on the upgrade requests list. And yet... I was upgraded to first.

Twitter response? "The app doesn't necessarily have the most accurate wait list. For up to date wait list information you would need to wait till you got to the airport, boarding gate."

Good grief.

Neil
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yes. I had this same problem a few weeks ago.

In an aircraft swap, it indeed re-seats many, even those people in seats that exist on the new seat map. I got booted out of the exit row aisle to a non-reclining window seat right before check in and someone else took my old seat at check in so I couldn't get it back, even though I picked up on it 30 minutes after it happened.

All I could do was complain and get some miles sent my way. GA was able to get me to non-reclining aisle after boarding.

Yet another instance of bad logic in their systems that has probably been there awhile.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Its always easier to blame the travel agent instead of looking to see what really happened.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
The seat swap dance was really, really bad last winter. It's soooooooo much better. I'm so sorry you got hit...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Its always easier to blame the travel agent instead of looking to see what really happened.
Well, Concur sucks so they deserve blame for even things not their fault
My corp's Concur portal won't even price out Alaska economy fares at all. It shows Y available but then prices F. I haven't been able to get them to fix it. That's ok, gives me an excuse to book direct.
I know elite seat assigning on Concur is kludgy so I always go back in to airline site to pick my seat as a general practice to be safe.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Gold
I'd say it's a best practice to always use airline sites to update and confirm seat assignments. I have seen seat assignment issues with a number of TA sites. Once I have booked I tend to ignore whatever the TA sites says and rely on the airline. Of course, not much you can do if it was an actual equipment swap.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For clarity, Concur isn't a travel agent - it merely is a customizable compliance solution which interfaces with your company's travel agent. For example, my company's travel agent is CWT, which fulfills all bookings I make through Concur.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Asquared1
I'd say it's a best practice to always use airline sites to update and confirm seat assignments. I have seen seat assignment issues with a number of TA sites. Once I have booked I tend to ignore whatever the TA sites says and rely on the airline. Of course, not much you can do if it was an actual equipment swap.
Agreed, and I regularly groom my reservations on the Alaska Air site to ensure I actually have the seat assignment I want. As recently as the day before checking in the Alaska site showed me in 6F.

Anyway, it appears it was indeed due to an aircraft swap. I got upgraded to FC though so now I'm not cranky. Although the waitlist in the app still shows no sign of me at all. Sigh.

Neil
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Anyway, it appears it was indeed due to an aircraft swap. I got upgraded to FC though so now I'm not cranky.
...unless you are in row 4 and another swap puts you back to economy where the only seat left is middle last row
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dmodemd
...unless you are in row 4 and another swap puts you back to economy where the only seat left is middle last row
My recurring nightmare. I always try to get changed to 💺 closer to front.
makfan likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dmodemd
You know I picked 1A as fast as I could!

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.