Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Press release (2022-1-18) announcing higher fee, benefit changes, and new requirement to spend $6000/year to receive companion fare

BAGGAGE BENEFIT EXPLAINED:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-visa-bag-free

As an additional resource for these cards see the thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...s-now-30k.html

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read
this post. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Consumer card offers sorted by value of SUB assuming $.01 per mile
Business card offer:Application Profile Must Exactly Match Alaska Profile: If you put your Mileage Plan number on the application, be sure that all personal information matches what's in your Alaska profile. If there's even a slight difference, Bank of America is known to assign a new Mileage Plan number. In that case you will likely need to contact AS to merge the 2 accounts and/or BOA to change their number of file. BOA might also send a new plastic credit card. For the business visa, BOA is known to create a new Mileage Plan number even if everything matches.

Expired offers:
Print Wikipost

AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I just edited my post above to add the link to the other thread, which has way more datapoints in general. But still, I'm not clear if there's enough recent data points from business card repeaters even there in that way more active thread.

I already cancelled my first AS business card (which I got almost half a year ago) in anticipation of applying for a second one in March (after I come back from a trip overseas for much of February). I had no real need to keep it so I decided not to risk having it open. So I won't able to provide the datapoint you're looking for, sorry.
Interesting.

So you think it is OK to cancel AS cards (whether personal or business) before it is 6 months old? I read before that it is usually not a good idea to cancel too early bc otherwise they might spot you as a churner.

I would be tempted to cancel way earlier than the 11-month mark if that's not as risky as I thought, or at least PC it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by gnomey
yeah. i agree applying for AS personal when already owning a personal card will no longer work based on recent DP
This is not universally true; I was approved for a second AS personal card (with the first one still open) ten days ago.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd
This is not universally true; I was approved for a second AS personal card (with the first one still open) ten days ago.
Thanks for the DP. When did you apply for the first AS personal card then?

The situation I am talking about is more re: those whose apps happen every 90 days
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
Interesting.

So you think it is OK to cancel AS cards (whether personal or business) before it is 6 months old? I read before that it is usually not a good idea to cancel too early bc otherwise they might spot you as a churner.

I would be tempted to cancel way earlier than the 11-month mark if that's not as risky as I thought, or at least PC it.
I've cancelled most of my AS cards after just a few months, typically not long after paying off my last statement from my last bit of minimum spend. There's only one AS card to date that I cancelled only after the 2nd year annual fee hit, and I've applied for more than half a dozen of them.

Gosh, they can spot as you as a churner if you apply for multiple cards of the exact same type a year, not matter what else you do, if they wish. But who even looks at your full AS card history at BofA?

(Ie, did you hear that, about "spotting you as a churner", specifically about BofA, or in another context? Chase, for example, seems to care about churners much more than BofA or even Citi or Amex the bank.)

When I cancelled my first business card recently, when the agent asked the reason I just mentioned I wasn't using it much right now (which was very true ), and the agent mentioned she understands because she sometimes has to consolidate her cards too. She made no mention of my history of applying for and cancelling other AS cards. (Nor have I seen anyone mention on FT anyone at BofA bringing that up with anyone calling to cancel, or anyone at application time.)

I am keeping two personal cards alive for now until each hits the annual fee, simply because I'm not applying for personal cards for a while (trying to get below 5/24 for Chase next year). But come July (when the second of those hits a year), I except I will be without AS personal cards and not always with an AS business card.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:25 pm

I've cancelled most of my AS cards after just a few months, typically not long after paying off my last statement from my last bit of minimum spend. There's only one AS card to date that I cancelled only after the 2nd year annual fee hit, and I've applied for more than half a dozen of them.

Gosh, they can spot as you as a churner if you apply for multiple cards of the exact same type a year, not matter what else you do, if they wish. But who even looks at your full AS card history at BofA?

(Ie, did you hear that, about "spotting you as a churner", specifically about BofA, or in another context? Chase, for example, seems to care about churners much more than BofA or even Citi or Amex the bank.)

When I cancelled my first business card recently, when the agent asked the reason I just mentioned I wasn't using it much right now (which was very true ), and the agent mentioned she understands because she sometimes has to consolidate her cards too. She made no mention of my history of applying for and cancelling other AS cards. (Nor have I seen anyone mention on FT anyone at BofA bringing that up with anyone calling to cancel, or anyone at application time.)

I am keeping two personal cards alive for now until each hits the annual fee, simply because I'm not applying for personal cards for a while (trying to get below 5/24 for Chase next year). But come July (when the second of those hits a year), I except I will be without AS personal cards and not always with an AS business card.
Well, good to know then. I was playing a little too cautiously. I have tried not to cancel any cards that are less than 6 months old, not only BOA but other banks as well.

I have 3 AS Personal cards now, one of which I will cancel or PC imminently bc AF is due in 3 weeks. I guess it's not appropriate to ask for retention offer then cancel it X weeks later, right? So far the retention offer I have seen reported is only like 5K AS points max.

As for the other 2 AS Personal, they are not due for AF until later. But perhaps I will be calling up to cull them not too long after the first one.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:25 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Hello,
This is a reconsideration question.
I have churned many BofA AS cc.
However in Dec I applied for

Merrill Lynch
Amtrack
Sig 30K
Per 15K
denied for all.
Told me that credit was not pulled and that 7 per cards is max you can have with BofA.
Is this true? ( I also have 2 AK biz)
regular churner but most cards are legacy cards.

So the questions are
Is there a limit to max number of BofA per or biz accts any product?
And I was just told that if you didn't get approved for the card that you applied for in the beginning then you will not get the bonus even if you move CL. Is this a new policy?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Quick question:

I recently applied for the BOA Alaska Airlines Visa Business and personal cards. I was approved for the Business card immediately, but not for the personal one.

A few days later, I received the personal card in the mail, but not the business card.

I need to make a large purchase by Monday on my business card (about 1k). What should I do?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Held 10 months. Cancelled 8 days ago. Reapply now or Virgin America cards?

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks everyone. Just applied and was instantly approved. Good luck to others out there.
I held my Alaska Airlines card for around 10 months. Cancelled it 8 days ago. If I applied for another today, what's the current likelihood of approval? If it's poor, how long should I wait?

Was going to apply for Virgin America cards since I've never had any before--and because it seems as though they'll disappear, and those Elevate points will become Mileage Plan miles. However, the Virgin America card offers don't look very lucrative.

I know people seem to have gotten additional Alaska Airlines cards and getting the bonus another time while having a current card, but I want to go on the conservative side. Who knows how long it will take for BOA to begin instituting restrictive card app bonus restrictions like 5/24, Citi's, or Amex's.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I held my Alaska Airlines card for around 10 months. Cancelled it 8 days ago. If I applied for another today, what's the current likelihood of approval? If it's poor, how long should I wait?

Was going to apply for Virgin America cards since I've never had any before--and because it seems as though they'll disappear, and those Elevate points will become Mileage Plan miles. However, the Virgin America card offers don't look very lucrative.

I know people seem to have gotten additional Alaska Airlines cards and getting the bonus another time while having a current card, but I want to go on the conservative side. Who knows how long it will take for BOA to begin instituting restrictive card app bonus restrictions like 5/24, Citi's, or Amex's.
Do you mean you had the Alaska personal card and just cancelled it? And don't currently have an Alaska business card?

In that case, you can certainly apply right now for the Alaska business card. You don't actually need to have a business. Just give you own name as the business name, your address as the business address, your phone as the business phone, minimum number of employees, no business income to date, no years in business, structure being a sole proprietorship.

Meanwhile, did you reduce the credit limit on your personal card before you closed it? That helps you apply for another personal card faster.

The Virgin America card gives (the equivalent of) way fewer miles for 2/3 of the annual fee, so it's a poorer value. So if you haven't gone for the Alaska business card yet, that would be a better value. And alternating between personal and business Alaska cards let you have longer gaps between each "naturally" (since while you're working on your minimum spend on your business card the personal card stays closed longer, and vice versa).

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 25, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:44 am

Thanks sdsearch. I was referring to the personal Alaska card, but thanks for recommending applying for the biz version. Sounds like a winner. I'll avoid the Virigin America cards. Any idea if there's a way to get the $100 statement credit on the Alaska biz card? Just checked and see they still offer the $100 statement credit on the personal card at some point doing a fake / test booking. Did not see any way to change that offer to the biz version.

Didn't realize it was so easy with BoA biz cards. Would this apply to their Travel Rewards cards? (assuming they have biz versions; wife and I have the personals).

Are there any other hotel / airline card issuing banks for which there isn't biz verification? I once had an LLC and believe Chase in particular was strong in following up on the details. Also remember applying for the CitiBiz AA card without having a business and it was easy. Anyone know if that's still the case? Would be great since Citi implemented its draconian 24 month "family / brand" rules. Although the wife and I recently earned an easy 80K AA miles by each getting the Barclay's AA Aviator card.

Do you mean you had the Alaska personal card and just cancelled it? And don't currently have an Alaska business card?

In that case, you can certainly apply right now for the Alaska business card. You don't actually need to have a business. Just give you own name as the business name, your address as the business address, your phone as the business phone, minimum number of employees, no business income to date, no years in business, structure being a sole proprietorship.

Meanwhile, did you reduce the credit limit on your personal card before you closed it? That helps you apply for another personal card faster.

The Virgin America card gives (the equivalent of) way fewer miles for 2/3 of the annual fee, so it's a poorer value. So if you haven't gone for the Alaska business card yet, that would be a better value. And alternating between personal and business Alaska cards let you have longer gaps between each "naturally" (since while you're working on your minimum spend on your business card the personal card stays closed longer, and vice versa).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks sdsearch. I was referring to the personal Alaska card, but thanks for recommending applying for the biz version. Sounds like a winner. I'll avoid the Virigin America cards. Any idea if there's a way to get the $100 statement credit on the Alaska biz card? Just checked and see they still offer the $100 statement credit on the personal card at some point doing a fake / test booking. Did not see any way to change that offer to the biz version.

Didn't realize it was so easy with BoA biz cards. Would this apply to their Travel Rewards cards? (assuming they have biz versions; wife and I have the personals).

Are there any other hotel / airline card issuing banks for which there isn't biz verification? I once had an LLC and believe Chase in particular was strong in following up on the details. Also remember applying for the CitiBiz AA card without having a business and it was easy. Anyone know if that's still the case? Would be great since Citi implemented its draconian 24 month "family / brand" rules. Although the wife and I recently earned an easy 80K AA miles by each getting the Barclay's AA Aviator card.
I've never heard of a $100 credit available for the Alaska business card. OTOH, with the Alaska business card you're guaranteed to be either approved for the version that gets the 30k bonus or denied, nothing in between. (With the Alaska personal card, if you are approved for a small credit limit you get the dreaded Platinum card that only gets a 5k bonus, and then if you try to convert that to the Signature card which gets the 30k bonus you may or may not be able to but if you can it still takes several months.)

Regarding your other questions, I suggest you start with this thread:
and this hotel/airline business card list:
Chase will ask you call and you have to resist the temptation to do so. In:
a number of people have mentioned being approved for Chase business cards by ignoring requests to call, while being grilled and all too often denied if they do call when asked.

With Amex, Citi, and BofA it seems much easier, as long as you give the information I previously mentioned. It's people who try to make up a business name, business income, etc, that doesn't exist that get into trouble, because any bank can ask for evidence in that case. But if you just give your name as the business name, your address as the business address, no business income yet to date, they can't ask for much other than evidence of your address, and since it's your normal address you have plenty of evidence.

If you have more questions about non-Alaska business cards, please ask in whichever of the linked threads above is most appropriate. Thanks.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 26, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:49 am

Approved.

Instantly approved for the biz card using your method. Thanks!

I've never heard of a $100 credit available for the Alaska business card. OTOH, with the Alaska business card you're guaranteed to be either approved for the version that gets the 30k bonus or denied, nothing in between. (With the Alaska personal card, if you are approved for a small credit limit you get the dreaded Platinum card that only gets a 5k bonus, and then if you try to convert that to the Signature card which gets the 30k bonus you may or may not be able to but if you can it still takes several months.)

Regarding your other questions, I suggest you start with this thread:
and this hotel/airline business card list:
Chase will ask you call and you have to resist the temptation to do so. In:
a number of people have mentioned being approved for Chase business cards by ignoring requests to call, while being grilled and all too often denied if they do call when asked.

With Amex, Citi, and BofA it seems much easier, as long as you give the information I previously mentioned. It's people who try to make up a business name, business income, etc, that doesn't exist that get into trouble, because any bank can ask for evidence in that case. But if you just give your name as the business name, your address as the business address, no business income yet to date, they can't ask for much other than evidence of your address, and since it's your normal address you have plenty of evidence.

If you have more questions about non-Alaska business cards, please ask in whichever of the linked threads above is most appropriate. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:24 am

Any datapoints on how quickly the points post and the CP? I only see comments a few years ago.

I applied today and really need them expedited if at all possible.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Approved today for a 3rd personal card without difficulty. I use several companion passes annually. Have a history of actually using cards and not churning so I am sure that helped.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by frairtuck
Any datapoints on how quickly the points post and the CP? I only see comments a few years ago.

I applied today and really need them expedited if at all possible.
See the other thread!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...s-now-30k.html

Miles and companion code should post shortly after the first statement reaching the minimum spend closes. Mine closed Friday, miles and code were in my account on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.