Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
Press release (2022-1-18) announcing higher fee, benefit changes, and new requirement to spend $6000/year to receive companion fare

BAGGAGE BENEFIT EXPLAINED:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-visa-bag-free

As an additional resource for these cards see the thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...s-now-30k.html

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read
this post. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Consumer card offers sorted by value of SUB assuming $.01 per mile
  • 50K miles:
    • https://www.alaskaair.com/content/credit-card/visa-small-business-caApplication Profile Must Exactly Match Alaska Profile: If you put your Mileage Plan number on the application, be sure that all personal information matches what's in your Alaska profile. If there's even a slight difference, Bank of America is known to assign a new Mileage Plan number. In that case you will likely need to contact AS to merge the 2 accounts and/or BOA to change their number of file. BOA might also send a new plastic credit card. For the business visa, BOA is known to create a new Mileage Plan number even if everything matches.

Expired offers:
Print Wikipost

AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
If using the AS signature visa to purchase AS miles, do you get 3x bonus on the mileage purchase cost?

My guess is not, since the vendor is technically points.com and not Alaska Air, but I figured it was a "maybe" situation that was worth asking about...
Originally Posted by Calculon
You do not.
Sorry no "loophole" points.com merchant category is not Alaska airlines
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
If using the AS signature visa to purchase AS miles, do you get 3x bonus on the mileage purchase cost?

My guess is not, since the vendor is technically points.com and not Alaska Air, but I figured it was a "maybe" situation that was worth asking about...
I wonder, would the same be true if you purchased points as part of the checkout process when buying a ticket? I've thought of using my Amex Plat airline incidentals for this too...

I'm not sure if those miles are handled by points.com or not.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChurningMan
A friend of mine was recently declined for Opening his 3rd AS card. He had 2 existing and has not opened a CC since June. Reason was Too many inquiries in the past 12 months....
I've had a similar experience with B of A....they are definitely clamping down a bit on churning...it's not the easy churn it use to be.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

You think AS/BofA will ever let you make a choice: Companion Ticket or Bonus Miles?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
today I received a promotional snail-mailer offering 2 miles per $ spent on hotels, ride-sharing, taxis, rental cars, and a couple other travel related categories. unfortunately, the maximum bonus miles is capped at 2500 and the promo period only runs until 3/31/17. i successfully registered my card on the BoA website.

i probably will not get a lot of use out of the promo and likely to only earn about 500 extra miles over that period versus what i would earn otherwise, but that's better than zero.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
You think AS/BofA will ever let you make a choice: Companion Ticket or Bonus Miles?
No way, Jose. You can hope though.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Does anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post? BOA sent them over a week ago, but they still haven't posted to my Alaska account.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveH
I'm not sure if those miles are handled by points.com or not.
Did you try "almost" purchasing miles? Ie, going through the whole process until the final purchase confirmation?

If so, do you stay on the Alaska site the whole time?

In my experience with other airlines who outsource buying points to points.com, you're thrown to the points.com website well before the final purchase confirmation, so it's easy to see without actually completing the purchase.

And this thread implies that you do indeed get thrown to points.com during that process:
(And if you're thrown to points.com, the vendor is points.com.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 28, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Nope because the miles are more of a liability since they are more likely to redeemed or kept active and on the books for years to come. I bet a ton of the companion certs go unredeemed. I know I've had 6 earned so far between accounts and have only used 1.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:53 pm

Any ideas?

Have three current BofA Alaska cards, basically apply for a new one every 3-4 months.

Usually drop all credit lines to 2k so I can keep getting the visa sig, but this time I left one card at 10k credit.

Applied two days ago, said it's in review, but the online application status check says "denied". What's the best option? Do I call in and try to have it reconsidered, even though I already have 3 other Alaska cards? No idea what I'd use for the excuse here.

Or do I just wait it out, eventually cancel one of these cards in the next few months when AF hits, drop the other credit line, and apply again in 2 months?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Companion Code Available?

Is it possible to share companion codes with someone who has already utilized their code?

Anyone have an extra companion code?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by silver02accord
Is it possible to share companion codes with someone who has already utilized their code?

Anyone have an extra companion code?
The rules governing the use of companion codes can be found in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-fare-faq.html

In short, you do not need to be the owner of the code in order to use it (i.e. the owner doesn't need to fly), but the last name attached to the code much match the last name on the credit card used for purchase.

Last edited by Calculon; Jan 31, 2017 at 5:29 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurch10
Have three current BofA Alaska cards, basically apply for a new one every 3-4 months.

Usually drop all credit lines to 2k so I can keep getting the visa sig, but this time I left one card at 10k credit.

Applied two days ago, said it's in review, but the online application status check says "denied". What's the best option? Do I call in and try to have it reconsidered, even though I already have 3 other Alaska cards? No idea what I'd use for the excuse here.

Or do I just wait it out, eventually cancel one of these cards in the next few months when AF hits, drop the other credit line, and apply again in 2 months?
No, cancel all of your existing cards (of the same type), after dropping the credit line on each of them. It's all changed recently. In recent months, most people with an open AS personal card (yes, even just one) are being denied when they apply for another AS personal card.

If you have 3 personal AS cards, you still should, however, be able to be approved for a business AS card. (Though once you have that, it may or may not have the same "no new approvals until after closing old card".) Thus to maintain an active AS card at all times while continuing to churn it, you may have to alternate back and forth between personal and business AS cards, I dunno, but that seems like it might be the only way now.

For more on the recent changes, review the last few posts of this much bigger thread about AS credit cards:
If you don't have a real business, you can still apply, just give your name as the business name, sole proprietorship, 0 years in business, $0 business income, etc. (Ie, you don't want to give a fake answer that they'll then ask for evidence about .) See here for more (general) guidance if you've not applied for business cards before:

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 31, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, cancel all of your existing cards (of the same type), after dropping the credit line on each of them. It's all changed recently. In recent months, most people with an open AS personal card (yes, even just one) are being denied when they apply for another AS personal card.

If you have 3 personal AS cards, you still should, however, be able to be approved for a business AS card. (Though once you have that, it may or may not have the same "no new approvals until after closing old card".) Thus to maintain an active AS card at all times while continuing to churn it, you may have to alternate back and forth between personal and business AS cards, I dunno, but that seems like it might be the only way now.

If you don't have a real business, you can still apply, just give your name as the business name, sole proprietorship, 0 years in business, $0 business income, etc. See here for more (general) guidance if you've not applied for business cards before:
yeah. i agree applying for AS personal when already owning a personal card will no longer work based on recent DP

do you think this also applies to business card? possible to apply for second business while owning a business card? wondering what's the DP on this.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
yeah. i agree applying for AS personal when already owning a personal card will no longer work based on recent DP

do you think this also applies to business card? possible to apply for second business while owning a business card? wondering what's the DP on this.
I just edited my post above to add the link to the other thread, which has way more datapoints in general. But still, I'm not clear if there's enough recent data points from business card repeaters even there in that way more active thread.

I already cancelled my first AS business card (which I got almost half a year ago) in anticipation of applying for a second one in March (after I come back from a trip overseas for much of February). I had no real need to keep it so I decided not to risk having it open. So I won't able to provide the datapoint you're looking for, sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.