Wiki Posts
Search

Horizon FA'S Lying to Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Horizon FA'S Lying to Passengers?

I'm an AS MVPG who flies 50+ segments a year on the Q400's. Over the past year I've noticed a steady decline in the number of flights that offer drink service. The standard excuse is turbulence, yet my experience is that a very high percentage of the time when that excuse is used no turbulence occurs. I flew a couple of nights ago, absolutely perfect flying conditions, yet the crew from SEA to BOI stated a reduced service because of turbulence and a strong tail wind.

This is a real pet peeve of mine. Having flown Horizon for a couple of decades, I've noticed what used to be a rare occurrence is now frequent. It's obvious that this is either a cost cutting maneuver or laziness on the part of the FA's. Either way, why continually lie to passengers?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
I'm an AS MVPG who flies 50+ segments a year on the Q400's. Over the past year I've noticed a steady decline in the number of flights that offer drink service. The standard excuse is turbulence, yet my experience is that a very high percentage of the time when that excuse is used no turbulence occurs. I flew a couple of nights ago, absolutely perfect flying conditions, yet the crew from SEA to BOI stated a reduced service because of turbulence and a strong tail wind.

This is a real pet peeve of mine. Having flown Horizon for a couple of decades, I've noticed what used to be a rare occurrence is now frequent. It's obvious that this is either a cost cutting maneuver or laziness on the part of the FA's. Either way, why continually lie to passengers?
Always report this on Alaska Listens and mention the *no turbulence* issue....not sure why tail winds would be an issue since that's a long enough flight to offer at least limited beverages....but yeah, this is a frequent problem on QX flights, especially the PDX-SEA shuttle. I've got to say, there is none of the typical DL pressure to offer more service since their RJ flights offer nothing in Y.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
On two recent flights, I noticed that individual prepackaged water or juice was offered rather than the FA's serving from large container. Seemed to go a lot faster and actually had service on PDX-EUG for the first time this year.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
On two recent flights, I noticed that individual prepackaged water or juice was offered rather than the FA's serving from large container. Seemed to go a lot faster and actually had service on PDX-EUG for the first time this year.
The one time I flew DL PDX-SEA, they had mini Dasani bottles (and possibly snacks?) at the gate to make up for the lack of inflight service. This sounds like a nice compromise.
anitainwa likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
On the YKM-SEA (blocked at 41 min) flight they stopped all service about a year ago, "due to the short duration of the flight". On shuttle flights between SEA-PDX (blocked at 48 min) I have always had good service. On the shuttle flights between SEA-GEG at least 50% of the time its no service due to turbulence, which seems to be irrespective if there is actual turbulence or not.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
On the YKM-SEA (blocked at 41 min) flight they stopped all service about a year ago, "due to the short duration of the flight". On shuttle flights between SEA-PDX (blocked at 48 min) I have always had good service. On the shuttle flights between SEA-GEG at least 50% of the time its no service due to turbulence, which seems to be irrespective if there is actual turbulence or not.
I have become thoroughly unimpressed with Horizon over the past year. Whereas, from my perspective, they used to be an asset to Alaska, now because of flight cancellations, frequent ATC delays, and service inconsistencies they are now such a burden that I am strongly considering switching to Delta.

I'm surprised more don't take issue with how Horizon handles the frequent ATC delays. Horizon knows their wheels up time well in advance of boarding, yet boards under a normal schedule knowing full well passengers will just be stuck on the plane during the delay. PSC-SEA has frequently become a 1.5 hour ordeal. Frustrating.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:04 pm

No competition is highly correlated to no service. With QX problems, there's certainly an opportunity for DL to enter.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
I'm surprised more don't take issue with how Horizon handles the frequent ATC delays. Horizon knows their wheels up time well in advance of boarding, yet boards under a normal schedule knowing full well passengers will just be stuck on the plane during the delay. PSC-SEA has frequently become a 1.5 hour ordeal. Frustrating.
To be fair all airlines are impacted by the huge surge in traffic at SEA and ATC delays are not just a Horizon thing. As far as sitting on the plane...yes and no. They frequently board and sit on a taxiway hoping to get an early clearance. In my experience about 20% of the time we do get an earlier ATC hold release.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
Flown Horizon since 1985, MVP or better since '98. I fully agree! Hey Delta, Are you looking for some regular customers? Give us a call.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I had a mainline SFO/PDX last month and the Y crew couldn't even complete a full drink service, and apologized on the PA for those they couldn't get to. No turbulence, no issues, nothing. Just slow.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I cannot count the number of times this occurs. My flights are either BOI>SEA>PDX or BOI>PDX. If they look young, I know I am going to get fed BS in lieu of a drink. If they appear more seasoned, I know there is going to be turbulence throwing passengers and bags around with a drink in hand.
Sure it gets reported through "Alaska Listens" but usually I get "Tough luck bud"
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I had a mainline SFO/PDX last month and the Y crew couldn't even complete a full drink service, and apologized on the PA for those they couldn't get to. No turbulence, no issues, nothing. Just slow.
Wow!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Happens more than half the time on GEG - SEA flights, and rarely any actual turbulence. Laziness, and they obviously don't care like they used to. But hey, I'm just happy that they didn't cancel the flight. (I've had 4 cancelled recently).

Yeah, I'll bet Delta is drooling over this mess.... and they are getting my business from now on.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LaneW
Yeah, I'll bet Delta is drooling over this mess.... and they are getting my business from now on.
I was on a DL commuter/express (whatever they are called) yesterday in F, OAK/LAX and if one wanted to, it could have been a "I could barely roll off the flight" experiences. PDB (full bar) offered before I even sat down, plus a few offers of more during the flight. Plus a snack basket. FA even offered little water bottles to go.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I used to fly a lot on the Q400, but thank goodness in the last couple years, I have begun flying more mainline routes to the Midwest and east coast and less QX regional route. I do notice more than 1/3 of my most recent shorter QX flights (SEA to GEG and PDX) did not have drink services, with the most excuse being turbulence. I think it is just laziness, but this trend doesn't help AS' image, especially among its most frequent flyers like us.

I am surprised I have yet to see the usual AS employees jumped out and defended AS's FAs in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.