Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horizon FA'S Lying to Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Flew PDX - SEA tonight, and got the new message about "no drinks due to turbulence." The FA came on at the end of the flight and apologized for "less turbulence than we expected. Wish you would have gotten you those drinks." Seemed forced and full of crap to me.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
So there it is, company policy now. I expect this will just roll upwards as time goes on. There's nothing in print that outlines exactly what is supposed to be provided so as newer FAs come on board and see they can take seats and read, muck with their phone, or chat with their pal in the galley for a trip, why not on a slightly longer route? And so on.
Actual flight time on PDX-SEA and vice versa is consistently less than 10 minutes longer than PDX-EUG. If they can't do water-only on the latter, how long will the beer/wine/juice/water cart last on the shuttle?

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Flew PDX - SEA tonight, and got the new message about "no drinks due to turbulence." The FA came on at the end of the flight and apologized for "less turbulence than we expected. Wish you would have gotten you those drinks." Seemed forced and full of crap to me.
For clarity, this isn't new. I've heard it for years on this route, albeit with increasing frequency in the last year or two.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
This is what I was getting out earlier in the thread and people kind of dismissed me. I also agree what’s the big deal?
You’re missing the point. It’s the lack of honesty and effort that is ticking the majority of us off. Offer service, don’t offer service, just don’t lie about the reasons.

Similar to the on-time departure that suddenly flips to a delay once I check-in. Or as with my most recent experience the on-time departure that suddenly flips to a delay at the scheduled boarding time. Meanwhile I’m on flightaware and the inbound plane is still parked at the departing airport. I go to speak with Gate agent and FA and they dismiss me saying per Horizon operations our plane is in the air en route. So now I’m confused as to whether there is a swap. A couple of minutes prior to new departure time, they announce another delay. Turns out the plane still parked was my plane, and I disn’t get home until 3am. All Horizon had to do was be honest about the situation (Mechanical delay, plane still on the ground in Portland) and I would have booked a hotel at 10:45pm. Instead I worked Friday on 3 hours of sleep. Awesome job.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Actual flight time on PDX-SEA and vice versa is consistently less than 10 minutes longer than PDX-EUG. If they can't do water-only on the latter, how long will the beer/wine/juice/water cart last on the shuttle?
Exactly. Or it will be that QX/OO E175's (or mainline AS on QX heavy routes) don't offer complimentary beer/wine so it'll be eliminated from the Q400 for service consistency.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
It continues.

SEA GEG on Thursday. Seat 2D so I was right there. As boarding was almost done, the FA from the back came up front and asked the front FA "do you want to ask or should I?"

I'm pretty bold. And in the front row. I asked the front FA what it was about. She straight up said "she wanted to know who should ask the pilot if we can stay seated and not do service."

We had what was actually a fun visit after that, and the back FA DID ASK, I watched and heard, and the pilot said no. There was no turbulence expected.

We had service. And the front FA was fun and friendly. But the back made me mad as a passenger. She wanted a hall pass to do nothing but get paid. I'm glad the pilot said no.

I will I'll send this as a note to Customer Care.
Idaho Territory and pbelmore like this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have not flown horizon in quite a while. However years ago I recall one flight where the pilot announced before pulling back from the gate that everyone would be seated for the duration of the flight due to expected turbulence. There was absolutely none, the whole flight was completely calm. I was left wondering whether there hadn't been some sort of collusion between the pilot and flight attendants?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
However years ago I recall one flight where the pilot announced before pulling back from the gate that everyone would be seated for the duration of the flight due to expected turbulence.
You may have been one of the first to be warned about the labor turbulence at QX. Everybody in the company knew it was coming. They were just giving you an advanced warning.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tusphotog
What does VX do on the LAX-LAS flights? I know Delta and AA don’t serve, but WN serves if the weather allows. Full beverage run and peanuts. Heck, they even do the full drink service on DAL-AUS.
i haven't sat coach on AA LAX - LAS in quite some time, but up front they do the standard predeparture drinks, once in air, more drinks and a snack basket. I'm actually flying this in a few hours.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
For clarity, this isn't new. I've heard it for years on this route, albeit with increasing frequency in the last year or two.
I'm new to AS, but have flown the PDX-SEA route (both directions) several times since June. This is the first time that it's happened to me.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
You’re missing the point. It’s the lack of honesty and effort that is ticking the majority of us off. Offer service, don’t offer service, just don’t lie about the reasons.

Similar to the on-time departure that suddenly flips to a delay once I check-in. Or as with my most recent experience the on-time departure that suddenly flips to a delay at the scheduled boarding time. Meanwhile I’m on flightaware and the inbound plane is still parked at the departing airport. I go to speak with Gate agent and FA and they dismiss me saying per Horizon operations our plane is in the air en route. So now I’m confused as to whether there is a swap. A couple of minutes prior to new departure time, they announce another delay. Turns out the plane still parked was my plane, and I disn’t get home until 3am. All Horizon had to do was be honest about the situation (Mechanical delay, plane still on the ground in Portland) and I would have booked a hotel at 10:45pm. Instead I worked Friday on 3 hours of sleep. Awesome job.
Yes...It seems QX (and AS) don't seem to realize that as passengers we have access to FlightAware, FAA real time and FlightRadar24 and can actually see delays as soon as they do. I have been able to see delays coming and know it will be a hour delay, and AS/QX start posting delays in 15 min. increments up to the hour I knew was coming in the first place. Just stop and be honest!!!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Sounds like AS/VX could resolve this by offering sacked goodies consisting of small drink and snack during boarding. Featured brew/wine alcohol, sadly, will suffer the cut, except on a longer flight, or on a short flight where F cabin is available.

Jiburi
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
SEA-YVR smooth flight this morning. Flight attendant read magazine all the way. NO DRINKS again.

Seriously considering Air Canada
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davistev
SEA-YVR smooth flight this morning. Flight attendant read magazine all the way. NO DRINKS again.

Seriously considering Air Canada
Just flew yesterday from SEA-YLW on the last leg of a 15.5K 10 segment four country companion itinerary to reach MVPG75K. I reached it on a SEA-PVR segment while my partner reached it on an LAX-SEA segment on Sunday night prior to landing in Seattle at 90,008.

During the 50 minute in-air flight the beverage cart made a pass offering coffee or a selection of juices.

In conversation with the FA prior to departure I mentioned that we had just achieved 75K. During service she asked if we would like wine or beer and happily opened a celebratory bottle of PNW microbrew to enjoy with our chocolate bar.

We had an awesone time on all our flights and more than one FA that exceeded expectations.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:46 pm

Another no service EUG-PDX in clear skies. FA did have time to hawk the credit cards and pass out applications. It was the birthday for one of the FA's and the captain led the cabin over the PA in a round of Happy Birthday. Her dad flew down to meet and ride back on her flight wearing an inflatable Alaska Airlines balloon hat. It was very nice and homey, but given the decline in service reinforced the message that we're self loading cargo and the flights are operated for the benefit of Horizon employees.
I actually found out from Alaska that if they had no time for service, they also had no time to sell credit card. I flew SEA to YVR a few months ago and yes it was no service. However the F/A spent the whole 30 minutes selling credit cards in the air. Then I wrote to Alaska that first, they used to serve drinks on these flights, and second, if it is unsafe to serve drinks, why do they have time to sell credit cards? They wrote back telling me that they were not supposed to sell credit card if they don't provide service. I will urge you to write to AS.

Carfield
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Carfield
I will urge you to write to AS.
Already did.
Heard back from AlaskaListens on my comments about no water service but hawking credit card apps on EUG-PDX:
[...]Due to safety reasons we have discontinued our water service on some of our shortest routes. We have found through customer feedback that our water service was not offered on a consistent basis because of the possibility of turbulence. If a flight doesn’t offer a beverage service, our flight attendants should not be offering the VISA applications.[...]
Speaking of which, I wonder if it's like many employee referral programs where there's either an incentive/commission for the employee or a performance quota for a minimum number of sales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.