Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horizon FA'S Lying to Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was on a DL commuter/express (whatever they are called) yesterday in F, OAK/LAX and if one wanted to, it could have been a "I could barely roll off the flight" experiences. PDB (full bar) offered before I even sat down, plus a few offers of more during the flight. Plus a snack basket. FA even offered little water bottles to go.
If I'm the DL SEA station manager, I'm coaching my team to take advantage of the Horizon fiasco in any and every way possible - the "Battle for Seattle" is being waged against a very wounded AAG. If mainline can't get reliable feed for their flights, it's a great opportunity for DL.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was on a DL commuter/express (whatever they are called) yesterday in F, OAK/LAX and if one wanted to, it could have been a "I could barely roll off the flight" experiences. PDB (full bar) offered before I even sat down, plus a few offers of more during the flight. Plus a snack basket. FA even offered little water bottles to go.
Reminds me of a SFO-PDX in F on AS where we ran out of a certain beverage... sadly this is no longer carried on AS.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:00 am

Maybe the catering people were so shocked to see a scheduled Horizon flight actually operating that they forgot to stock the plane.
makfan and kevincrumbs like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
Horizon knows their wheels up time well in advance of boarding, yet boards under a normal schedule knowing full well passengers will just be stuck on the plane during the delay. PSC-SEA has frequently become a 1.5 hour ordeal. Frustrating.
This annoys me too and seems to happen on all my PDX-SEA flights but to be fair to QX, I think part of the issue is that they need the gate in PDX too. If the empty plane sits and the outbound passengers hang out in the terminal, then the inbound flight that needs the gate will have a plane load of passengers waiting onboard a flight that just landed.

Either way, a plane load of passengers will be stuck waiting on a plane, which sucks.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I will say I flew SEA-SFO on a QX E175 a few months ago in F and it was great, the food and beverage service was every bit as good as AS.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
I'm surprised more don't take issue with how Horizon handles the frequent ATC delays. Horizon knows their wheels up time well in advance of boarding, yet boards under a normal schedule knowing full well passengers will just be stuck on the plane during the delay.
Agreed. The worst is when the ramp crew is twiddling their thumbs and causes you to miss your W/U time.

Though in QX’s defense, the flow times into SEA have been going on for years (long before the DL/AS buildup), and they frequently moved forward. It wasn’t uncommon to hear a “we’ll have a W/U time of 8:05a” and then be released at 7:50a.

The lack of drink service has been going on ever since the Q200s left the fleet. If you’re flying a shuttle flight (or even the BOI flights) on a Q400 between the months of October and July, the crew sits more than they serve.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I think my frustration, and apparently that of others, goes above typical customer complaints. For years Alaska and Horizon's advantage over other carriers was their service and frequencies. Obviously the perception on both has taken a significant hit.

I think Alaska's in real trouble here. I don't think they can compete without a feeder service. I've heard complaints from frequent flyers and non, so if people start bailing on Horizon I can see the fall of a lot of dominoes to follow.

I know my opinion has changed substantially over the past few months. Outside of frequencies for my particular destinations, I really have no reason to stay with Alaska. Delta might be Delta, but they are an international carrier with significant frequencies throughout the US. If Horizon has to start cutting back flights because of loss of market share, I'm out.

When traveling outside of the West Coast, I find myself purchasing Delta F fares rather than sit in premium economy (for not that much less than F on Delta) as an Elite on AS. I've really begun asking myself what benefit am I getting by sticking with Alaska?

Last edited by formerstarQB16; Sep 29, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
On the YKM-SEA (blocked at 41 min) flight they stopped all service about a year ago, "due to the short duration of the flight". On shuttle flights between SEA-PDX (blocked at 48 min) I have always had good service. On the shuttle flights between SEA-GEG at least 50% of the time its no service due to turbulence, which seems to be irrespective if there is actual turbulence or not.
SEA-YVR used to offer glasses of water but now has absolutely nothing. This wouldn't be a big deal except when I wanted to take medication and had no liquid with me. It happened last week when we were delayed 50 minutes but were constantly told not to leave the gate because we would be boarding "any minute" so I didn't go buy a bottle of water.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I will say I flew SEA-SFO on a QX E175 a few months ago in F and it was great, the food and beverage service was every bit as good as AS.
I haven't flown a QX E175 but have taken two round trips SFO-SNA on the OO E175. Very nice option to avoid LAX and fine service. Upgraded 4/4 including one last minute change on a Friday!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
The lack of drink service has been going on ever since the Q200s left the fleet. If you’re flying a shuttle flight (or even the BOI flights) on a Q400 between the months of October and July, the crew sits more than they serve.
It is worse. On some flights I have taken, the crew has stated no drink service is scheduled where there had been limited service in the past. I finally got a full drink service on MFR-SEA last week.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I cannot comment on the longer flights as I’ve only taken SEA-PDX and SEA-YVR, but I’ve always had the pre-poured drinks that the FA’s announce over the PA and for every passenger to have their choice ready. Usually it’s coffee, orange juice, or water.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I share the OP's observation but I do not think it is the FA "lying" but instead it is usually the Captain that comes over the PA and says "Folks, we are expecting some bumps so we asked the flight crew to remain seated for this VERY short flight" then of course, it is smooth as can be. Usually this occurs on SEA/PDX more than any other flight, but outside of SBA I do not fly Horizon as much as others here. Although I enjoy a cup of coffee or even just water I would just accept that they do not serve anything on that flight, therefore no expectation. However, many times I have been on an ATC hold and from boarding to deplaning (including the trip to the airport) I wonder if it would have been faster just to drive. At those times, it would be nice to have some service but again, once in the air, it is the same thing. I also agree E-175 service is great and I always get the upgrade, but there was one time SEA-SBA I received my meal 35 minutes prior to landing. A very nice, but very inexperienced SkyWest FA in first; I just had to settle for my one drink and gave back the meal. Glad AS is on that route now.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Are people pissed that the choices are only OJ, water, or coffee? Or are they pissed they don’t do a full drink service?

I mean, what do people expect on 40-50 minute flights where you’re really only in the air 20 minutes anyway?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

I mean, what do people expect on 40-50 minute flights where you’re really only in the air 20 minutes anyway?
Chateaubriand cut in the aisle and mixed drinks served at the bar.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Are people pissed that the choices are only OJ, water, or coffee? Or are they pissed they don’t do a full drink service?

Pissed is a bit strong. I don’t care whether they offer or not. Just don’t lie to me as to the reasons why.

As to the other poster saying it’s the pilot not the FA. That certainly occurs when there is legitimate risk of turbulence, but it’s apparent that the FA’s have now hijacked it as an excuse. I fly enough to know the difference, they are absolutely lying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.