Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any Premium International uses for AS miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Premium International uses for AS miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I AM finding AA FC to Europe using AS miles next Summer. ^
NO, in fact I am NOT.

It turns out that the AS site will list a combination flight as "First Class", when in fact only the first domestic flight is in F, then the connecting International flight is in economy. The only way to tell this is they put a very tiny symbol (is it a picture of someone in a airplane seat?) next to the listing. Then when you go to select it you see in large letters "mixed class".

So now in a little over one day I've gone from frustrated, to ecstatic, to very disappointed. What a roller coaster.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
In the past year I've booked and/or flown with AS miles:

CX F
JL F
QF F
BA F
KL J
AF J

and

7H Y

There is space. It's not always easy to find however, and being flexible is key.
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Not AA specifically, but i did book a couple AF awards next summer for family.
Is the fuel surcharge for KL and AF flight the same as in FB, when you redeem via Alaska Mileage Plan?

Does the award space availability match what you see via FB?

My impression seems to be that it's harder to find ex-West Coast KL/AF flights, vs other dep airports

Last edited by gnomey; Sep 29, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gnomey
Is the fuel surcharge for KL and AF flight the same as in FB, when you redeem via Alaska Mileage Plan?

Does the award space availability match what you see via FB?

My impression seems to be that it's harder to find ex-West Coast KL/AF flights, vs other dep airports
No fuel surcharge that I'm aware of. Space is very spotty- best to find at 330 for these carriers.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:54 pm

No fuel surcharge that I'm aware of. Space is very spotty- best to find at 330 for these carriers.
great, thanks for the tip. in this case, AS MP is better than FB then.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No I'm not.

Check out my post history. I've got over 1200 posts on various threads here, many of which were helping out others. Sometimes answering basic questions no one else could be bothered with, other times adding little known technical data I've gotten thru decades of playing this game. There are several quotes from my posts that others have even added to the wiki of the thread I posted it on.

I was specifically looking for DPs like the one you posted. Although it would be more useful if you had mentioned which airline you flew, how long ago that happened (a month ago, a year ago, or 10 years ago?). And how hard it was to obtain. I'm asking the last one as we flew AA FC to Europe in 2015, 2016. and 2017, all on Saver awards with AA miles. But in all 3 cases I took one of the only (in 2017 the absolutely only date) that AA offered for the entire Summer, flying into the only city they offered it for, and only found that by searching for availability every single days for many months each time.

Ironic you mention HGK-SIN, as what triggered my OP was looking for HKG-SIN thru the AS site, and all they were offering was HKG-NRT-SIN, in angled J, with a travel time of 13+ hours, instead of the direct 3 hour flights that CX offers several times a day. Forget lie-flat for a 3 hour flight, I just wanted to go N/S.
I am surprised you do not know CX flights are NOT searchable online on AS site.
The only way to book CX with AS (or with AA for that matter) is by CALLING.

There actually is a dedicated CX award thread in both AS and AA forum just for that partner.

HKG-SIN has very very very good availability in J but it would NOT be searchable on AS website!

You really do need to venture to other forums to gain more knowledge despite you complain about the need to do so but hey, if that is how things are presented, either adapt or be staying in the dark. The choice is yours.

Last Sept we flew LAX-HKG (stop) HKG-JNB, JNB-HKG-(stop) LAX. The LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX in CX F. No F service between HKG and JNB.

This Sept we flew JNB-HKG (stop) LAX. Again HKG-LAX in F.

As many posters show, there are many ways to use AS miles. The only worry is, the current AS partner charts are quite generous comparing to other airlines charts. So enjoy them while they last.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:19 pm

In the past year I've booked and/or flown with AS miles:

CX F
JL F
QF F
BA F
KL J
AF J

and

7H Y

There is space. It's not always easy to find however, and being flexible is key.
btw redemption for 7H doesnt work anymore, right? wanted to do that but couldnt
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gnomey
btw redemption for 7H doesnt work anymore, right? wanted to do that but couldnt
7H is bookable, but on restricted routes. I flew CDV-ANC//ANC-PDX-MCI.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
NO, in fact I am NOT.

It turns out that the AS site will list a combination flight as "First Class", when in fact only the first domestic flight is in F, then the connecting International flight is in economy. The only way to tell this is they put a very tiny symbol (is it a picture of someone in a airplane seat?) next to the listing. Then when you go to select it you see in large letters "mixed class".

So now in a little over one day I've gone from frustrated, to ecstatic, to very disappointed. What a roller coaster.
That's unfortunately fairly common when searching for awards on the AA website. You go from "Woo Hoo, found an F award!" to "Oh, that's F from SFO-LAX, LAX-xxx is in Y" pretty frequently.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:20 pm

I mostly only fly to a select few international destinations (TYO, KIX, HKG). Even then, I see tons of AS saver award availability in J all the time on select routes. Specifically JL's YVR-NRT and SAN-NRT, back in the day DL's SEA-HND also. After DL's SEA-HND was discontinued and until JL came along, though, it is true that it was impossible to find any saver award premium class seats to Jpn using AS miles. I don't know about Europe. All the AA stuff to TYO that comes up on search are almost always mixed cabin with TPAC Y.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:18 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I recently booked JNB-HKG-LAX and couldn't be happier with that award. If it weren't so darn far to get from So Cal to So Africa, I'd be going much more often with my Alaska miles.

I think, as always, booking 330 days ahead of time, using the award chart sweet spots, and being flexible, are, as usual, the key ingredients to amazing award bookings. My strategy is to go where the miles take you. I tend to bank my miles until a good award redemption plan comes to mind. Alaska miles seem very valuable to me, and only moderately easy to come by. My "plan a year ahead" doesn't work for everybody, but it really helps reduce frustration about award availability. These programs all have their strengths and weaknesses. I've been frustrated recently with Lufthansa rewards and those ridiculous fuel surcharges, but, just yesterday found a route that works for me... LAX to WAW nonstop on LOT. I flew that route last week using Air Canada miles, now I see another option. I just had to make a mental note--Go to Poland using those someday-to-be expiring Lufthansa miles. In fact, add to the miles stash so I can go in Biz both directions, with my husband. Going to Poland is on my list, but now I've got the beginnings of a plan.

Perhaps there's a routing using Alaska miles that will work for you, and you can just keep a hawk eye on the award seats, perhaps on their release date, until you snag what you want. Some of the bloggers keep an updated list of award sweet spots. Maybe you could start there and see if there's anything on list that looks interesting to you. Let us know what you find. Good luck!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by evergrn
I mostly only fly to a select few international destinations (TYO, KIX, HKG). Even then, I see tons of AS saver award availability in J all the time on select routes. Specifically JL's YVR-NRT and SAN-NRT, back in the day DL's SEA-HND also.
That SAN-NRT in J is/was not a top product. I've seen availability when I've looked, it was wide open. If I remember correctly, the seats don't fully recline. It's worth checking to see if this is still the case.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
That SAN-NRT in J is/was not a top product. I've seen availability when I've looked, it was wide open. If I remember correctly, the seats don't fully recline. It's worth checking to see if this is still the case.
The SAN<>NRT and YVR<>NRT routes seem to have good availability in J, but as you mentioned they are JAL's Neo seat which is an inclined lie flat , not one of their Sky Suite's which are superior and true lie flat. I did manage to score a BKK-NRT-LAX which is a Sky Suite to LAX (Neo from BKK) so it is possible, but availability is much rarer.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Well, to me 60k each way is very reasonable for TPAC biz class no matter what the seats are (esp with JAL's soft product). The equivalent thing on NH costs 75k with UA miles. And the fact that SAN & YVR flights always seem to have AS saver award availability in J is a big plus.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1
The SAN<>NRT and YVR<>NRT routes seem to have good availability in J
No to go off-topic, but I really wonder if JL's YVR flight will last. I don't think there's enough demand for 3 daily nonstops on TYO-YVR. At least AC and NH have tons of domestic/US flights to feed.

I usually fly coach. The AC flight was always packed in the past if my memory serves. But NH then JL started serving YVR. This year I've flown both NH and AC on that route. Tons of free seats every time. In July, I laid across 3 seats on the way to Jpn for an excellent lie-flat experience.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
No to go off-topic, but I really wonder if JL's YVR flight will last. I don't think there's enough demand for 3 daily nonstops on TYO-YVR. At least AC and NH have tons of domestic/US flights to feed.

I usually fly coach. The AC flight was always packed in the past if my memory serves. But NH then JL started serving YVR. This year I've flown both NH and AC on that route. Tons of free seats every time. In July, I laid across 3 seats on the way to Jpn for an excellent lie-flat experience.
Well JL does offer downline connections to the Far East

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.