FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Quick question on if I can better maximize my miles earning... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1866769-quick-question-if-i-can-better-maximize-my-miles-earning.html)

acarney Sep 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Quick question on if I can better maximize my miles earning...

I just booked a first class Virgin America flight between SEA and LAX for October. I used Chase points and booked via their portal... I believe they said you can cancel within 24 hours without any fees...

I totally spaced out and booked it as a Virgin America flight (D fare code I believe) when the same flight was offered as Alaska Airlines but operated as a Virgin America flight.

Would booking the same flight but the one showing AS be better for me on earning miles/segments compared to the Virgin flight? I don't have any miles or points with Virgin America and will transfer them over to AS anyway, but I'm wondering if it would have been better just to have them already dump into my AS MP account....

Edit: Actually also, would booking the Alaska flight but operated by Virgin America get me into the Alaska Lounge? It shows as "Alaska Airlines AS1798* * Flight AS1798 Operated by VIRGIN AMERICA" that I could book....

jinglish Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 28812397)
Would booking the same flight but the one showing AS be better for me on earning miles/segments compared to the Virgin flight? I don't have any miles or points with Virgin America and will transfer them over to AS anyway, but I'm wondering if it would have been better just to have them already dump into my AS MP account....

Wha... huh? Do you mean you're thinking of crediting the flight to a VX account? Because that's entirely unnecessary. You'll earn 1.75x EQMs and an EQS whether you booked with an AS or VX flight number, and they count as AS flights for elite qualification purposes. There's a chance, depending on how much you paid, that you could wind up with higher RDM earnings if you credited the VX-ticketed flight to VX and then transferred the points over at the 1.3x rate, but it sounds like that's not your concern.

acarney Sep 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 28812473)
Wha... huh? Do you mean you're thinking of crediting the flight to a VX account? Because that's entirely unnecessary. You'll earn 1.75x EQMs and an EQS whether you booked with an AS or VX flight number, and they count as AS flights for elite qualification purposes. There's a chance, depending on how much you paid, that you could wind up with higher RDM earnings if you credited the VX-ticketed flight to VX and then transferred the points over at the 1.3x rate, but it sounds like that's not your concern.

That's what I was wondering... Chase only gave me the option for putting in an Elevate number and the flight was $200. So I wasn't sure if that means I would have got 1000 points (5 points per dollar) and then when transferring that to Alaska I would have got 1300 miles. When I think I should get more like 1,670 miles when factoring in Alaska's 175% earning (for paid F ticket)...

370 miles isn't huge, but I don't want to short change myself...

tonei Sep 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Just go to the Virgin site and put in your AS number there.

rustykettel Sep 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 28812485)
That's what I was wondering... Chase only gave me the option for putting in an Elevate number and the flight was $200. So I wasn't sure if that means I would have got 1000 points (5 points per dollar) and then when transferring that to Alaska I would have got 1300 miles. When I think I should get more like 1,670 miles when factoring in Alaska's 175% earning (for paid F ticket)...

370 miles isn't huge, but I don't want to short change myself...

Just tweet or call VX to have your MP number in place of your Elevate number & just make sure your BP has it when you check in (or have the counter agent change it).

VX paid/award F will give access to the Alaska Lounge, doesn't have to be AS flight number - https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/fl.../alaska-lounge