Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What happens if you book with a discount code then cancel within 24 hours?

Old Sep 12, 17, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07

I asked this question in the Q&A thread but haven't gotten an answer.

If you have booked a ticket with a discount code (as the type issued by customer care) and then cancel within 24 hours, what happens to the discount code?

I've read and been told different things, and would like to know from direct experience and/or the FT hive mind.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
If it were me, I would request a new one and fully anticipate receiving it. Perhaps Cancel through a live agent
Old Sep 13, 17, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
If it were me, I would request a new one and fully anticipate receiving it. Perhaps Cancel through a live agent
During the 24 hours when I retrieved the reservation it told me I cannot cancel online. So I'm guessing that this is exactly for this reason, so that they can manually reissue the discount code or something like that.

The 24 hours has now passed which is a non-issue as those plans are set, but I have one more discount code to use.

I'll post a follow up if I find out more when I use that one.
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
This is one of those I'd ask in the evening to the AS Twitter rep (the A team seems to staff the Twitter desk in the evenings)
Old Sep 15, 17, 12:02 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Most of the language I've read regarding discount codes (especially the annual companion fare discount code) state that they are not returned in the event of cancellation. Once you use it, it's used for good.

There is one exception: You can change a ticket that was booked with a discount code, and assuming the new flight fits the same eligibility criteria you can apply the same discount. This is my recommendation.

If you are an MVP Gold member, this is pretty painless since there are no change fees. I've changed my trip to something far in the future I don't even plan to use, just as a placeholder so I can preserve the discount and change it again when I decide what I will really use it for.

If you are not a MVP Gold member, you can still avoid the change fee as long as you change it 60+ days before departure.
Old Sep 16, 17, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Also works for free if you change a flight within 24 hours after purchase, even if you're not an elite member.

Originally Posted by Scottrick View Post
Most of the language I've read regarding discount codes (especially the annual companion fare discount code) state that they are not returned in the event of cancellation. Once you use it, it's used for good.

There is one exception: You can change a ticket that was booked with a discount code, and assuming the new flight fits the same eligibility criteria you can apply the same discount. This is my recommendation.

If you are an MVP Gold member, this is pretty painless since there are no change fees. I've changed my trip to something far in the future I don't even plan to use, just as a placeholder so I can preserve the discount and change it again when I decide what I will really use it for.

If you are not a MVP Gold member, you can still avoid the change fee as long as you change it 60+ days before departure.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:00 am

Programs: AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver
It was a couple of years ago for me. They refunded my $, and told me if I called to change the flights with the ticket numbers I could re-use the 2:1.
Old Sep 17, 17, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I wish they would do some sort of cert reissue (at least for Golds/75Ks), as they can be difficult to manage.

I had one the other day where I needed to cancel a trip with a cert, but didn't want to lose the cert. I had another trip already booked (2 person PNR) where I had not used a cert, so I had to take that other, unrelated trip, divide me off to a new PNR, cancel that, then rebook the canceled trip to what I had just canceled but really wanted to keep.

Confusing, but it worked.
Old Sep 17, 17, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Scottrick View Post

OP's question is about the 24-hour cancellation required by US law. You are simply wrong.

In the event that you cancel within 24 hours and comply with the DOT rule, AS must refund the ticket in full to the original forms of payment. Thus, if you pay with a CC and discount code, AS must issue a credit to the CC and reissue or reinstate the discount code.

There is no requirement that AS make this available online and there is good reason for the reissuance of any "funny money" such as discount codes to be handled manually. But, there is absolutely no doubt as to what you are entitled to if you follow the rule.
Rut Dog likes this.
Old Sep 17, 17, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP's question is about the 24-hour cancellation required by US law. You are simply wrong.

. But, there is absolutely no doubt as to what you are entitled to if you follow the rule.
Very strong statements. Can you provide a link supporting that the DOT views discount codes as a "Form of Payment" and not a discount on the selling price?
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnp012001 View Post
Very strong statements. Can you provide a link supporting that the DOT views discount codes as a "Form of Payment" and not a discount on the selling price?
Often1 is 100% correct. Thanks for the heads up on this.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...al20130530.pdf

Emphasis added below:
the Department’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) considers the failure to notify such consumers of the 24-hour reservation requirement to be unfair and deceptive in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712. It also considers the failure to offer a passenger a full refund in the original form of payment in the event of a cancellation request covered by the 24-hour reservation requirement to be an unfair and deceptive practice.
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:00 am

Can you bold the portion that says a discount code is a form of payment and not just a discount off the selling price?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: