Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No-Show Policy Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
No-Show Policy Update

as contained in today's E-Statement

If you're going to miss your flight, let us know.
Learn about our updated no-show policy.

We're dedicated to flying on time, minimizing any impacts of overbooking, and helping get seats for guests who need to travel at the last minute. To improve our ability to do these, we're updating our no-show policy.

Here's how our no-show policy will work starting on October 2, 2017.

If you think you'll miss your flight, let us know before your flight departs in order to receive the value of your ticket as credit to use on a future flight in your My Wallet (subject to change fees).

How do you cancel your ticket? Choose from one of three options:

Change or cancel your reservation here at alaskaair.com
Call our reservations team 1-800-252-7522. (Dial 711 for relay services)
Notify an agent at one of our airport ticket counters.

If you don't cancel your ticket before your flight departs, we'll apply our updated no-show policy to your reservation.

This means:

Like we do today, we'll cancel your flight reservation and all continuing and return flights.

The money and/or Mileage Plan™ miles spent on non-refundable fares will not be available as credit towards a future flight.

While we adjust to the updated policy, we are happy to allow an exception through the end of 2017 in case you forget to tell us in advance.

We'll continue to waive change and cancellation fees for MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K members. However, changes and cancellations must be made before your flight's departure time to be eligible for credit toward a future flight (unless you purchased a refundable fare).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Seems like a fair policy. I actually thought this is how it worked already.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Seems like a fair policy. I actually thought this is how it worked already.
I think it's been a hybrid between the CoC terms and the fare rules and now it's explicitly stated as a policy. Way Back Machine shows that the no show policy didn't exist at all before.

Mixed feelings on this, I've called in to reinstate/change a reservation after oversleeping in the past once. No more I guess.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I think it's been a hybrid between the CoC terms and the fare rules and now it's explicitly stated as a policy. Way Back Machine shows that the no show policy didn't exist at all before.

Mixed feelings on this, I've called in to reinstate/change a reservation after oversleeping in the past once. No more I guess.
You are possibly thinking of the "Failure to Occupy Space" provision in AS and other airline CoC's. This allows them to cancel your "reservation" for no-showing, but not the actual ticket validity which is still good for one year from issuance. I also find nothing in the fare rules which invalidates the ticket due to a no-show. So, no, existing tickets are not subject to this rule which is basically copying Southwest's policy. I would think they could not apply this policy to any tickets booked prior to updating the CoC.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LBJ
You are possibly thinking of the "Failure to Occupy Space" provision in AS and other airline CoC's. This allows them to cancel your "reservation" for no-showing, but not the actual ticket validity which is still good for one year from issuance. I also find nothing in the fare rules which invalidates the ticket due to a no-show. So, no, existing tickets are not subject to this rule which is basically copying Southwest's policy. I would think they could not apply this policy to any tickets booked prior to updating the CoC.
Ah yes, you're right. I was confusing the two.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Agree, no problems with this...it's fair and (as stated above) how I assumed it worked anyways.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was about to proudly state that in all my years of flying I've never no-showed for a flight, but then I remembered that time YEARS ago that I forgot my wallet...went back to pick it up...back to PDX....rush to the PDX-LAS flight only to barely miss it thanks to Alaska's great on-time (or early) percentage
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Remember when round trip tickets required just the booking fare class to be available when modifying the return, regardless of date of travel?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
I wonder how this affects non-MVP SDC. If the flight you want to SDC onto is more than six hours after the one you were originally on, can you just call and express that you are going to try and SDC? Or can you no longer SDC onto a later flight? I'm thinking about stations with two daily flights and the like? Is there a way to SDC from a 7am to a 5pm flight?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Remember when round trip tickets required just the booking fare class to be available when modifying the return, regardless of date of travel?
That's still the case on DL/UA/AA.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We are often on the 5 am or 5:30 am to make our connection (out of EUG, to either PDX or SEA).

We have never NOT woken up at 3-3:30 to make those flights. Electronic and wind up (yes we are old school) alarms.

If we are no-shows it is because we are dead on the road to the airport, and therefore we don't really care about the consequences.

Common courtesy.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:43 pm

Once I overslept and showed up at OAK 2 hr late for my flight. The ticket counter agent let me SDC on to the next flight for $25. I had a connection in Seattle which was unaffected since it was purchased as a separate ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:23 pm

I'd been under the impression this was how it worked all along - even WN doesn't allow you to no-show a (non-refundable) revenue ticket and then use those funds later. For reasons that I don't understand (and have only rarely taken advantage of) they do allow you to no-show a points booking and the points are (usually) automatically refunded.

If I weren't moving back to the east coast this winter, I'd certainly miss my AS MVPG status allowing last-minute cancellation, but I never realized that they allowed actual no-shows up until now. I can't think of many situations where I wouldn't be able to cancel with at least a little notice.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
The only time I ever missed a flight is when I woke up minutes after my SMF-SEA flight departed. I immediately (and sleepily) called and was given SDC to a later flight without issue. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't seem to care that I missed my flight.

I suppose it makes sense why they would change this though.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I would wish there was a 24 hr grace before cancelling the return. If you miss the outbound because you overslept or something you may still intend on getting to that destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.