Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold (75k) Same Day Standby - Consolidated Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

What are the rules/restrictions w/same-day standby (SEA-YVR) with luggage as a 75k?

Attempted to do this today and was met with multiple reasons why it is not possible....1) international flight (sea-yvr), standby not allowed with bags; 2) not enough time to transfer bag enough time being at least 90 mins (i was at gate 75 mins early) and 3) only certain airports allow this, seatac is too busy...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...y-standby.aspx

Did your flight meet this requirement:

You are an MVP® Gold Mileage Plan member (or traveling in the same reservation as one) and are eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.
Since it wasn't a shuttle market that appears to be the only way you could request same-day standby. The site doesn't list any of the exclusions you mentioned in your post.

Neil
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
For whatever reason AS won't allow you to do standby with checked bags. If your bags are checked, you're stuck on the flight that's printed on the tag. It's been this way forever and they used to love citing 9/11 as the reason.

SDC/SDS is no big deal on Canada flights (I'm assuming Mexico is the same). I just did SDC on SEA-YYC a few days ago and I've done plenty of same day standby on Vancouver flights, both on the app, at the gate or bored room. It sometimes messes with the Global Entry section about your inbound flight if you do last minute changes on the Canada-USA flights, but that's pretty easy to fix on the machine.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Not being able to do sdc/sds with checked bags can be quite frustrating. I understand why AS does it, but sometimes one just wants to make it home earlier (with cooler in tow).
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've done SDCs lots of times, if I have not checked my bags yet or only have carry-on it is easy, if my bags are checked I have not been able to make the change. It has always been at an airport other than SEA for a flight that returns home to SEA
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sounds like this was after an intl arrival ... the bags were checked on the booked flight; OP just dropped them on the belt after clearing customs/immigration, then went to the gate to see about SDS

from what I've read on the DL thread, the trick is to call in to process SDC as soon as you have your bags, then go up to the check-in counter to get them re-tagged for the earlier flight
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
sounds like this was after an intl arrival ... the bags were checked on the booked flight; OP just dropped them on the belt after clearing customs/immigration, then went to the gate to see about SDS

from what I've read on the DL thread, the trick is to call in to process SDC as soon as you have your bags, then go up to the check-in counter to get them re-tagged for the earlier flight
It was not an international arrival -- SNA-SEA-YVR. I ended up speaking with a supervisor and he said it can be done. But who knows...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jrl767

also YVR is pre-clearance so it's treated as a domestic arrival, but OP says he was flying the opposite direction anyways
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

a general consensus -- no clear rule on whether or not you can standby, as a 75k) on an earlier flight with a checked bag, right?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
How does one list for standby at AS? Can it be done over the phone, only at the airport, or only at the gate? Have an upcoming flight that had a schedule change that resulted in a 5-hour sit in SEA There is a 35-min connection, but that's 5 minutes below MCT... shouldn't be any problem physically making the connection, but obviously not a ton of time to mess around with ticket agents.

Reservations says there is nothing they can do, and will have to take it up with the GA in SEA. Is that really the case? Or can one list at another station?

Final issue, of course, is that this standby would not be on a full fare ticket, nor would it be because inventory was not available for SDC--it's not a legal connection, so SDC won't support it....
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by damieniz1
a general consensus -- no clear rule on whether or not you can standby, as a 75k) on an earlier flight with a checked bag, right?
SDC/SDS *is* possible, however your bags won't make the earlier flight (IME).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Always do SDC unless you are an hour prior to departure. I have found everytime I jump on the standby list ,starting at 10pm the night before, you will be skipped. If a seat opens and someone requests a SDC it will bump the SDS requester.
If the SDC/SDS is requested post checking bags, expect them to arrive on the originally booked flights. Sometimes I get lucky and they arrive on the earlier flight.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Erasmus
How does one list for standby at AS?
Since nobody answered my question, I'll (not) answer it for myself. Attempted to get on the list for connecting flight at departure airport of first segment. Agent cheerfully indicated they did so.

Upon arrival at SEA, not on standby list. As it turned out, the agent had actually CONFIRMED on the earlier flight. The bummer is they neglected to mention that, so was never checked in. Upon arrival at the gate in SEA (>20 minute before departure, but < 40 min check-in cutoff), confirmed seat was busted, and flight was now fully booked

So, I'll repeat my question for the future: how/where should one properly list for standby on AS? Thanks for any advice...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Since nobody answered my question, I'll (not) answer it for myself. Attempted to get on the list for connecting flight at departure airport of first segment. Agent cheerfully indicated they did so.

Upon arrival at SEA, not on standby list. As it turned out, the agent had actually CONFIRMED on the earlier flight. The bummer is they neglected to mention that, so was never checked in. Upon arrival at the gate in SEA (>20 minute before departure, but < 40 min check-in cutoff), confirmed seat was busted, and flight was now fully booked

So, I'll repeat my question for the future: how/where should one properly list for standby on AS? Thanks for any advice...
I go up to the gate agent for my flight and say "can I be on the standby list"?

Seems to work for me. But I am SEA-based or flying home to SEA on a nonstop 99.999999% of the time, I'm not trying to get on standby for flights at the CONNECTING airport.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I go up to the gate agent for my flight and say "can I be on the standby list"?

Seems to work for me. But I am SEA-based or flying home to SEA on a nonstop 99.999999% of the time, I'm not trying to get on standby for flights at the CONNECTING airport.
The gate agent must add you to the standby list or at least an agent at that airport; however, i have seen the standby option available at online check in once or twice. Whether or not you can bring your checked bag is up for debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.