Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did Alaska stop PSC to PDX direct service??

Old Sep 8, 17, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

So did Alaska stop this service or is EVERYTHING booked? I looked on like five different dates that could work for a trip in October I'm booking and I can't find any direct service between PSC and PDX. They used to have once daily from PSC to PDX and then return that night. Usually like a 7am departure from PSC and a return around 9pm or something to PSC. It was perfect for getting into Portland for the day...
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
So did Alaska stop this service or is EVERYTHING booked? I looked on like five different dates that could work for a trip in October I'm booking and I can't find any direct service between PSC and PDX. They used to have once daily from PSC to PDX and then return that night. Usually like a 7am departure from PSC and a return around 9pm or something to PSC. It was perfect for getting into Portland for the day...
It has been discontinued, part of the ongoing pilot shortage issue.
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
It has been discontinued, part of the ongoing pilot shortage issue.
Well crap! Alaska needs to get their act together and hire some people! Our metro population here is 250k and we can't even keep a direct route to PDX! That's crazy, and really annoying for me since I loved flying that route... ~$160 round trip and a couple hours beat driving 7 to 8 hours roundtrip in a day!
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
In addition to cutting PSC-PDX due to pilot shortage they also cut one of the PSC-SEA frequencies.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Go to Pendleton and grab a flight to Portland on https://www.boutiqueair.com/

At least its shorter than the drive or the connection options.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Explorist
MFR-LAX appears to be gone too. This may need to become the Horizon October route cuts thread.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler View Post

And it's cheaper than PSC-PDX.....$48.99 from PDT-PDX ^
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver

+1 on Boutique Air. It's an unexpectedly nice experience. I flew MCE-OAK on the PC-12 and enjoyed it.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
And it's cheaper than PSC-PDX.....$48.99 from PDT-PDX ^
Yep, it is a subsidized route.

I still remember as a kid flying from Portland to Boise to see family members and we'd make a stop in Pendleton to drop off the mail. Boise was just about nothing back then when Pendleton was the stop over.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I thought I was missing an option. Flights got OO'd a week ago Saturday night... and the evening flight was axed a few weeks before that. Making the wine weekend more of a challenge
Old Sep 8, 17, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
In addition to cutting PSC-PDX due to pilot shortage they also cut one of the PSC-SEA frequencies.
I noticed that, do you know which one, or if it's shifting based on historical bookings? I used to take the very last flight home (11pm I think, or 11:15 or something) so I could get to Seattle by 7 or 8 in the morning, hang out all day, and come home and sleep in my own bed. Since I'm single the cost to fly vs the cost of gas/parking AND a hotel was always either cheaper, or the same price. Was so enjoyable since SEA connects to downtown via the light rail and it's usually quick through security at 9:30pm or so at night

I hope these routes come back as soon as they can bring in more pilots. I hate to feel like this area is "too small" for flights to PDX and SEA.
Old Sep 8, 17, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the drive is about 1 Hr and 15 Min for me... not terrible. The cost is awesome though, about $100 round trip isn't bad! I wish the return to Pendleton was a little later, like 8pm or 8:30pm... but 6:30pm might be able to work for me...

Less convenient then PDX since you have to take a shuttle, but again might not be a deal breaker... still would be possible to go do the zoo and only spend about 2.5 hours actively driving and the rest of the time either on a plane or light rail in PDX.

Man, I wish they would come up here to PSC and fill in for Alaska. Though I suspect their flights would be totally booked all the time and they would jump to like $100 a seat or something. The Alaska flight never seemed packed, but routinely 40 or more people.
Old Sep 8, 17, 10:49 pm

Looks like the drive is about 1 Hr and 15 Min for me... not terrible. The cost is awesome though, about $100 round trip isn't bad! I wish the return to Pendleton was a little later, like 8pm or 8:30pm... but 6:30pm might be able to work for me...

Less convenient then PDX since you have to take a shuttle, but again might not be a deal breaker... still would be possible to go do the zoo and only spend about 2.5 hours actively driving and the rest of the time either on a plane or light rail in PDX.

Man, I wish they would come up here to PSC and fill in for Alaska. Though I suspect their flights would be totally booked all the time and they would jump to like $100 a seat or something. The Alaska flight never seemed packed, but routinely 40 or more people.

Keep in mind this flight is subsidized by Uncle Sam, so this is why it exists and has the fares it does. Its part of the Essential Air Service (EAS).
Old Sep 10, 17, 10:21 am

Looks like PSC-PDX is back. I see flights available starting tomorrow. Of course that comes at the expense of PSC-SEA being essentially taken over by OO on CRJ200's. Ugh.
Old Sep 10, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cruisezone View Post
Looks like PSC-PDX is back.
It still looks like it's on hiatus from October 1 - March 11.

Sort of amazing that there are 8-9 PSC-SEA flights (AS and DL) and 0 PSC-PDX flights daily during that time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: