Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did Alaska stop PSC to PDX direct service??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Alaska stop PSC to PDX direct service??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Keep in mind Amtrak is an option on the PDX-PSC route. Perhaps not absolutely ideal--but an option.

Fares start at $35 each way.

Times:
PSC-PDX: 5:35am-10:10am
PDX-PSC: 4:45pm-8:47pm

It's a shave over four hours, so assuming your goal is to get to downtown PDX, it's actually not that much longer than a flight would be, once you account for arriving in time to clear security and transport from the airport to downtown in Portland (and vice versa). It's also quite a scenic ride through the Columbia Gorge.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by acarney
Looks like the drive is about 1 Hr and 15 Min for me... not terrible. The cost is awesome though, about $100 round trip isn't bad! I wish the return to Pendleton was a little later, like 8pm or 8:30pm... but 6:30pm might be able to work for me...

Less convenient then PDX since you have to take a shuttle, but again might not be a deal breaker... still would be possible to go do the zoo and only spend about 2.5 hours actively driving and the rest of the time either on a plane or light rail in PDX.

Man, I wish they would come up here to PSC and fill in for Alaska. Though I suspect their flights would be totally booked all the time and they would jump to like $100 a seat or something. The Alaska flight never seemed packed, but routinely 40 or more people.
It's 3.5 hours to drive from Tri Cities to Portland on a day when I-84 isn't closed due to idiots with fireworks. I think I'd just drive...by the time you get to PDT, fly PDT-PDX on a vomit comet, then get out of PDX to wherever you are going in Portland, you wouldn't be saving more than an hour, at the most.

I still cringe at the Pendleton city council running AS/QX out of town in favor of Seaport. Idiots. Although the chances of PDT surviving long-term on Q400 service wouldn't have been great anyway, I really miss the AS service to that airport. Was very convenient for me.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
It's 3.5 hours to drive from Tri Cities to Portland on a day when I-84 isn't closed due to idiots with fireworks. I think I'd just drive...by the time you get to PDT, fly PDT-PDX on a vomit comet, then get out of PDX to wherever you are going in Portland, you wouldn't be saving more than an hour, at the most.

I still cringe at the Pendleton city council running AS/QX out of town in favor of Seaport. Idiots. Although the chances of PDT surviving long-term on Q400 service wouldn't have been great anyway, I really miss the AS service to that airport. Was very convenient for me.
I remember flying PDX-PSC-PDT....I think if they included PDT as a tag-on flight from one of the central WA cities, it might work.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I remember flying PDX-PSC-PDT....I think if they included PDT as a tag-on flight from one of the central WA cities, it might work.
Part of the beef between PDT and AS back in the day was PDT wanted multiple daily flights to PDX. AS wanted to move the PDT flights to SEA as the connecting opportunities are/were so much greater in order to try and make the service profitable. When the EAS contract came up for renewal, Seaport proposed PDT-PDX and AS proposed PDT-SEA. City council supported PDX despite Seaport not offering any onward connections at PDX or even being based at the main PDX terminal. The other issue is that when AS left town, so did TSA. As Penair recently learned with its brief foray to LMT, once TSA is gone it is hard to get it back.

Tl;dr as far as the EAS contract goes don't expect the Pendleton city council to back service that's not to PDX.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
Part of the beef between PDT and AS back in the day was PDT wanted multiple daily flights to PDX. AS wanted to move the PDT flights to SEA as the connecting opportunities are/were so much greater in order to try and make the service profitable. When the EAS contract came up for renewal, Seaport proposed PDT-PDX and AS proposed PDT-SEA. City council supported PDX despite Seaport not offering any onward connections at PDX or even being based at the main PDX terminal. The other issue is that when AS left town, so did TSA. As Penair recently learned with its brief foray to LMT, once TSA is gone it is hard to get it back.

Tl;dr as far as the EAS contract goes don't expect the Pendleton city council to back service that's not to PDX.
They used to do it with smaller planes. Horizon bailed out of the smaller planes years ago....and this is what led to this. The service does not work for Horizon anymore because the planes are too big to fill for these communities.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I remember the fun PSC-PDT segment Never did deplane in PDT though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.