Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
My guess is that KLM/AF is next to go.
i hope not. I like their j class. That is how I get nice miles into my account
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
Standard post VX, delusional we don't need our partners message.
What other message could Alaska PR give? Spin is their job. They're never going to say that losing a partner is a bad thing.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by agurg
That was expected. With the presence of AS in Mexico; not sure how much value did this partnership had. I would rather fly LAN to South America than have another stop over in between.
That is all well and good if you live in a LATAM city, or a city where AS can get you on the same ticket. LAN suspended SFO a few years ago, and AS won't even put you on VX metal to connect to a LATAM award at this point, so I've been on my own to get to LAX. At least with AM (not my favorite airline by any means), it is the most direct SFO/EZE routing after the SFO/LIM/EZE (LA) routing vanished. Later this month, I'm flying DL (OAK/LAX - separate ticket) to connect to my LA trip.

I've now lost DL, AA (because w/o the domestic leg included, it is worthless), and AM to/from South America in relatively short order, and I've got at least 3 paid premium tickets down there each year. My only remaining way, earning AS miles, is a 3 segment trip.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this was inevitable and frankly i'm surprised AF and KL continue to persist.
My guess is it's just a matter of time.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Hopefully this will prompt AS/VX to expand into Mexico secondaries. MTY is an obvious one. Lots of business travel to MTY so it could/might be economic from say SEA or LAX.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Unfortunate, but not surprising. Have done two OW awards on AM before, one with quite the stopover ^

And earned a few miles on them too.

Have had decent service, and rather surely service as well before, even in J.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Hopefully this will prompt AS/VX to expand into Mexico secondaries. MTY is an obvious one. Lots of business travel to MTY so it could/might be economic from say SEA or LAX.
Not sure if it's the right time to expand too much (although it would be nice to have additional options).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
MTY has long struggled to support flights to the States. It didn't even have LAX service until the past few years.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by davistev
Title says it all.

see https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/aeromexico

Darn - I have two long distance AeroMexico flights for this January.
Can't even react the SQ partnership yet then this?

DL, then AA, then AM?
It's getting a little volatile don't you think?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Can't even react the SQ partnership yet then this?

DL, then AA, then AM?
It's getting a little volatile don't you think?
I agree. AS chooses not to join an airline alliance and this is likely the result.
If it had, partner roster will be reasonably stable. DL also owns 36.2% of AeroMexico and this year launched a joint venture. Makes logical sense....

FYI, DL also owns 10% of AirFrance-KLM and 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Air France-KLM also owns 31% of Virgin Atlantic. No wonder VS is not an AS partner. Not sure how much DL influence in AS partnership with AirFrance-KLM but AF/KL/DL effectively owns 80% of VS.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Sep 7, 2017 at 11:19 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
And KE - DL and KE have made up and have applied for codesharing and antitrust immunity for its Pacific Partnership.

I'd would be just as (not) surprised to see KE go next.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
One change that would help a bit is AS/LATAM allowing earnings on ex-TAM (JJ) flights to be the same as the rest of LATAM (ex-LAN, LA) - I believe those are still excluded by flight number. That would at least open up all of South America to earning. (I'd also love to see AS service to PTY and partnership with Copa, but I imagine they are too tightly tied to UA/*A for that to happen.)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
I agree. AS chooses not to join an airline alliance and this is likely the result.
If it had, partner roster will be reasonably stable. DL also owns 36.2% of AeroMexico and this year launched a joint venture. Makes logical sense....

FYI, DL also owns 10% of AirFrance-KLM and 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Air France-KLM also owns 31% of Virgin Atlantic. No wonder VS is not an AS partner. Not sure how much DL influence in AS partnership with AirFrance-KLM but AF/KL/DL effectively owns 80% of VS.

Jiburi
VS not being a partner probably has more to do with AS being a BA partner...I maybe missing someone, but I don't know of anyone with a partnership with both VS and BA.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Wow, this hurts. AM accounted for quite a bit of my AS flight activity...

I guess now they will never fix the issue where "I" class business tickets don't earn mileage on AS. :P
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BenA
Wow, this hurts. AM accounted for quite a bit of my AS flight activity...

I guess now they will never fix the issue where "I" class business tickets don't earn mileage on AS. :P
Oh it is plenty fixed, kind of like when you take your dog to have his balls cut off.
jimmygottfredson likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.