Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I was never put on upgrade list until i checked in at airport counter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:27 am
Original Poster

I am MVP Gold 75k.

My reservation status shows i (and another companion) were "waitlisted" for first class. I got a little suspicious when my upgrade didn't clear T-72 (even though normally T-120) even though some of the empty first class seats were filled, and I got even more suspicious when I didn't see my name on the upgrade list T-24 check-in time. Then, when I went to print a BP at Alaska counter at airport, I was informed that I was never on the upgrade list. The agent manually put me in the standby waitlist for upgrade (I was #1 on the list as 75K) but it's kinda too late since all seats were filled at that time... I am suspecting that I would've been upgraded, had I been on the list since the booking.

so i kept my originally booked economy seat, but they never offered me the complimentary premium drink onboard as elite benefit. is this a big deal?

is this something i should complain to Alaska? or this happens almost all the time (i.e. people with elite status failed to get on first class waitlist quite frequently)??
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I am MVP Gold 75k.

My reservation status shows i (and another companion) were "waitlisted" for first class. I got a little suspicious when my upgrade didn't clear T-72 (even though normally T-120) even though some of the empty first class seats were filled, and I got even more suspicious when I didn't see my name on the upgrade list T-24 check-in time. Then, when I went to print a BP at Alaska counter at airport, I was informed that I was never on the upgrade list. The agent manually put me in the standby waitlist for upgrade (I was #1 on the list as 75K) but it's kinda too late since all seats were filled at that time... I am suspecting that I would've been upgraded, had I been on the list since the booking.

so i kept my originally booked economy seat, but they never offered me the complimentary premium drink onboard as elite benefit. is this a big deal?

is this something i should complain to Alaska? or this happens almost all the time (i.e. people with elite status failed to get on first class waitlist quite frequently)??
I would say this is rare, it does happen but only about once in a blue moon IME. If the FAs do not offer a complimentary cocktail during service it is ok to ask for one, if needed your BP will show your status.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by ctporter
I would say this is rare, it does happen but only about once in a blue moon IME. If the FAs do not offer a complimentary cocktail during service it is ok to ask for one, if needed your BP will show your status.
Depending on where you're seated they may or may not be checking their phones before serving each row to validate who is MVPG and above. Its pretty common in row 6/exits, but they might not check each person in other rows. You can always ask.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I frequently am told that there is no liquor onboard the aircraft. Shortly after asking however the flight attendant checks the phone, sees that I am a 75k, then I am served. I just figure its because I sit in the back and don't look the part of frequent flyer.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
I frequently am told that there is no liquor onboard the aircraft. Shortly after asking however the flight attendant checks the phone, sees that I am a 75k, then I am served. I just figure its because I sit in the back and don't look the part of frequent flyer.
No liquor? Is this on QX?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Both QX and mainline. Now I will qualify my mainline experience is limited to BOI>SEA and SLC<>SEA/PDX. Never had any issues if I am in F.
Yes I do fill out Alaska Listens but after a while it gets old having the same comment.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Both QX and mainline. Now I will qualify my mainline experience is limited to BOI>SEA and SLC<>SEA/PDX. Never had any issues if I am in F.
Yes I do fill out Alaska Listens but after a while it gets old having the same comment.
True, however the moment you stop, AS thinks your satisfied with the status quo

Filled out another one regarding warmed nuts only on redeye flights. But I digress...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:49 pm
vgc

Originally Posted by ctporter
This. Just politely tell them you have status and the FA should be polite in serving you one. It's happened to me a few times, but I've never had a problem getting my drink in the end.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Definitely report the lack of upgrade listing to AS for them to investigate

Did you buy from a different channel than usual, or use a promo code or something else different than your other bookings?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
For the OP, I know this is a little too late now, but if you're within T-your upgrade window, do a dummy booking and check for U or through something like EF. If U is available, call in and have the agent process it manually. Upgrades have gotten stuck before and it sounds like this is still an occasional problem.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
As a habit, I always check the app waitlist after I check in and the waitlist at the gate to make sure myself (and companion) are listed. If I am on the "bubble" on the waitlist after boarding, I watch the waitlist on the app as well. Sometimes I see myself clear and my seat while I am sitting on the plane. If I get skipped, I make sure to catch the GA who comes on the plane to inquire.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Try airing your concerns on Twitter. Per a recent blog post, they (AS) are very proud of that team.

So give them a real-world matter to fix!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
As a habit, I always check the app waitlist after I check in and the waitlist at the gate to make sure myself (and companion) are listed. If I am on the "bubble" on the waitlist after boarding, I watch the waitlist on the app as well. Sometimes I see myself clear and my seat while I am sitting on the plane. If I get skipped, I make sure to catch the GA who comes on the plane to inquire.
Just curious - does the app auto-refresh when someone's seating changes, or do you have to force an update?

TIA
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dave1013
Just curious - does the app auto-refresh when someone's seating changes, or do you have to force an update?
Keep hitting the waitlist button
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
It does not auto-refresh, but there is a timestamp displayed so you can view how recent the info is and you can pull down to manually refresh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.