Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How the upgrade works nowadays since premiums seats are introduced?

Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I am a MVP but I never know how the upgrade works nowadays. In the past, it is very straight-forward: you get the first class or not. But now, if you are no. 1 in the list, and you are upgraded to a premium seat, are you still eligible to first class upgrade or you are out completely? If so, some one after you might get the upgrade to first class while you don't? I don't understand it...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There are two waitlists, one for PE and one for F. One can be on either, both or neither. An upgrade can happen to either one, neither or both. AS seems to display a hybrid waitlist with components from each one, which can be confusing. I would like AS to display these separately so it makes more sense what is happening.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's just random gibberish at this point and I've long ago given up trying to predict/guess/understand where I am on the upgrade list and whether I have any chance of F, PE, or both. The list in the app is laughable and confusing as hell.

Neil
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
What's so confusing about the waitlist in the app?

It's pretty straightforward once you understand that it is showing F and PC together.

It is sorted by priority of who gets the F seat first. When there are no more F seats to allocate, it then allocates PC seats in the same exact order.

You may see people on the list who have a PC seat assigned; they are still eligible for F if it becomes available. You may see people with no PC seat assigned; they either have an exit row seat (which no longer gets auto-upgraded to PC) or have manually opted out of the PC upgrade. They too are still eligible for F if it becomes available.

And of course, as always, it only shows passengers who have checked in.
ctporter and AKCuisine like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It gets confusing when you see pax leapfrog you in the list getting an upgrade.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Can you give an example?

If you're a party of one and #1 on the app waitlist, you should get an F seat before anyone else below you, if U>0
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by beckoa
It gets confusing when you see pax leapfrog you in the list getting an upgrade.
Were they actually on the upgrade listed but BEHIND you on the list before it showed them getting an upgrade, or did they check in later than you did and thus "jump" you?

It is kind of odd that all of you can see what seat I selected upon booking (because it shows as a PE upgrade for me even though I was able to select that seat upon booking - for example: me as 2 on the list with an upgrade to 7D)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
What's so confusing about the waitlist in the app?
I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone in the list *after* me get a PC upgrade while I get skipped and left out. And no, I wasn't in an exit row.

Here's a picture of one instance: https://i.imgur.com/Y8Fd1ud.png?2. I'm position 23. How does that make sense?

Neil
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone in the list *after* me get a PC upgrade while I get skipped and left out. And no, I wasn't in an exit row.

Here's a picture of one instance: https://i.imgur.com/Y8Fd1ud.png?2. I'm position 23. How does that make sense?

Neil
They could have gone back and selected one at T-48
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by quemalo
They could have gone back and selected one at T-48
Either selected one at T-48, or if they are on a fare eligible for an "instant upgrade" to PC, I believe this is shown as "upgraded to PC" on the waitlist as well.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
In your screen shot, I would assume that MAL/A and DES/T were able to select seats 6B and 7E when they booked. And, that ENN/N and HAR/C are either sitting in an exit row and opted out of PE but ensured they were on the WL for FC, or they opted out of PE and are sitting in a non-PE seat and are on the WL for FC. I would be upset if I was Enn/N and HER/L got upgraded to FC since they are in a lower position on the WL than Enn/N is.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:16 am

A higher fare class that allows them to instantly choose a PC seat at purchase would have bumped them higher up on the upgrade list. The more I think about it, the more likely it is that they simply logged in at T-48 to grab a PC seat.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ctporter
In your screen shot, I would assume that MAL/A and DES/T were able to select seats 6B and 7E when they booked. And, that ENN/N and HAR/C are either sitting in an exit row and opted out of PE but ensured they were on the WL for FC, or they opted out of PE and are sitting in a non-PE seat and are on the WL for FC. I would be upset if I was Enn/N and HER/L got upgraded to FC since they are in a lower position on the WL than Enn/N is.
I'm ENN/N. I wasn't in an exit row. I was on the PE waitlist.

Neil
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quemalo
A higher fare class that allows them to instantly choose a PC seat at purchase would have bumped them higher up on the upgrade list. The more I think about it, the more likely it is that they simply logged in at T-48 to grab a PC seat.
You can't just log in and pick a PC seat at T-48. You have to actually be upgraded into PC to get to pick the seat. From https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...lass-upgrades:

Once you have reached the designated upgrade window, upgrades will be processed first by fare class, then by time of booking. If an upgrade is available on your flight, you will be upgraded immediately. If there are no upgrades available for your flight, you will remain on the waitlist until one is available.
This entire thread makes my core point: the app waitlist is hella confusing. We're all here trying to guess how someone could wind up getting skipped in the list and we're just tossing ideas out as to why it might happen. When you're the passenger and the list shows you skipped over for someone else below you that's does not leave you feeling happy or confident Alaska knows what they're doing.

Neil

Last edited by missamo80; Sep 6, 2017 at 11:57 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.