Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Who should be the next AS partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Who should be the next AS partner?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:10 am

I think it'll be either AM or AF/KL. Maybe both at once.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
How about the counterpart- which AS partner will be the next to bolt?

1) AA cuts ties entirely
2) KL/AF
3) AM
4) KE
5) ??

My money's on AM.
AM it is
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by quemalo
Wow. Sorry everyone, I forgot to knock on wood!

I was thinking about it in terms of DL now owning 49% along with their combined MX-US operations agreement and AS starting service to more and more Mexican destinations. Actually kind of shocked that it happened this quickly.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
How about the counterpart- which AS partner will be the next to bolt?

1) AA cuts ties entirely
2) KL/AF
3) AM
4) KE
5) ??
Tongue firmly in cheek
6) QX
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I agree. With Delta's buildup on the west coast, I'm not sure what AS brings to the table for AF/KL anymore.
I agree. DL has filled-in most of the holes it had along the west coast. KL/AF/AM and possibly even KE no longer needs AS.

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Also - I think the days of AS having domestic partners have passed. The VX merger killed that.
B6 comes to mind, with a stock swap of sort, but both B6 and AS have to smooth over their past dealings.

AA?
AA still has holes along West Coast. It makes sense AA is still a semi-partner.

Jiburi
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
B6 and AS should be able to work out some sort of selective codeshare arrangement. B6 could use the AS PNW and Hawaii stuff, and AS could use the NE connections out of JFK/BOS and the Caribbean network.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
I agree. DL has filled-in most of the holes it had along the west coast. KL/AF/AM and possibly even KE no longer needs AS.
Continuing with this point, geographically, KE makes even more sense and persuasive argument, with respect to DL's west coast presence and the need (or lack there of) for AS.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
JetBlue please. That would be a complimentary fit as they have a strong presence on the East Coast. JetBlue's other airline partners include Singapore Airlines, Icelandair and Emirates. Seems like a good fit to me.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
B6 and AS should be able to work out some sort of selective codeshare arrangement. B6 could use the AS PNW and Hawaii stuff, and AS could use the NE connections out of JFK/BOS and the Caribbean network.
B6 already has HA for Hawaii and the PNW outside of focus cities to SEA and PDX is just not that important to B6. B6 can also add more seasonal service to smaller cities through JetsuiteX which offers BZN service already.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
How about Boutique Air (4B)? With the issues faced by PenAir, it would be nice to have a new ESA partner.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
B6 already has HA for Hawaii and the PNW outside of focus cities to SEA and PDX is just not that important to B6. B6 can also add more seasonal service to smaller cities through JetsuiteX which offers BZN service already.
I have to agree. Transcon traffic flow outside of NYC-SFO/LAX is pretty small. The weak spot for BOTH airlines is the middle of the country off the coasts, and a hookup doesn't really help with that. US execs could tell you that a dumbbell shaped network doesn't do a lot for you.

As it stands, both B6 and AS will have to do what WN did: grow and serve markets through organic growth, not partners.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have to agree. Transcon traffic flow outside of NYC-SFO/LAX is pretty small. The weak spot for BOTH airlines is the middle of the country off the coasts, and a hookup doesn't really help with that. US execs could tell you that a dumbbell shaped network doesn't do a lot for you.

As it stands, both B6 and AS will have to do what WN did: grow and serve markets through organic growth, not partners.
It really depends what is defined as a weakness. If adding flights to MiddleOfNowhereVille, USA is not going to be profitable, it is actually a strength that flights to those cities are not offered. Any company has to be strategic as to where they deploy assets to maximize profits and to serve those cities that are going to keep its best customers happy. Despite its small footprint in the West, B6 actually serves my needs just fine. I prefer a better/reasonably priced premium product when I go to or transit through JFK/BOS/FLL from California. Intra-West flights are not long so I don't care which carrier I use. AS/WN or even a legacy would be Ok. On the rare occasion I enter flyover territory, I will take whatever carrier offers the best value.

Does any one airline and their partners completely serve my needs? No, but I am fine with that.

As for organic growth, I only care about growth in city pairs I actually fly.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Does any one airline and their partners completely serve my needs? No, but I am fine with that.
The other question that can be asked:

Does a thread like this make any difference to what the airline actually does?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Wondering if Hong Kong Airlines would be a good match, or whether it might alienate Cathay. Hong Kong Airlines starts LAX service in December and has committed to SFO next year. They started Vancouver service over the summer.
http://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/homepage
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Wondering if Hong Kong Airlines would be a good match, or whether it might alienate Cathay. Hong Kong Airlines starts LAX service in December and has committed to SFO next year. They started Vancouver service over the summer.
http://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/homepage
It's been brought up before, because HX is actually owned by HU... but yeah, not going to happen with the CX relationship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.