Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Blogger on thinly-veiled AS/WN Battle for California

Blogger on thinly-veiled AS/WN Battle for California

Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA1K
small sample size...but everytime i have flown WN in the evening within california, the flight is always delayed.

AS fits my needs, has a better soft product, and i love the 20 minute bag guarantee. if they could add a few more options out of SNA i'd be elated, but i can handle the connection via SFO for now.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by haddon90
small sample size...but everytime i have flown WN in the evening within california, the flight is always delayed.

AS fits my needs, has a better soft product, and i love the 20 minute bag guarantee. if they could add a few more options out of SNA i'd be elated, but i can handle the connection via SFO for now.
I agree. I like flying the E175s...faster boarding, deplaning and no middle seats. In my experience, AS is more punctual than WN (as long as you avoid QX flights!). Unlike WN, AS offers free same day standby on some (all?) intra-California routes (website just says SJC-SNA and SJC-SAN, although I wonder if the website just hasn't been updated in a while).

So, plenty of reasons to fly WN, but also plenty of reasons to fly AS...
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not surprising to see all the love for AS in the AS forum. A biased group to say the least. The SW forum probably has the same bias there but towards SW.

AS has a lot of growing to do in CA before it can really be considered a statewide competitor to SW. The blog is really just comparing apples to oranges at this point.

Last edited by Baze; Sep 1, 2017 at 8:35 pm Reason: Fixed an oops.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:11 am

I just don't want to fly WN because then I need to worry about getting a decent boarding position and being ready to stand in line at that time. I want to assign a seat and have it as long as I show up before the door closes.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
AS also has a form of no change fees, offers refunds if their price goes down.
For Golds and 75Ks only up to departure. This does not apply to most people. Sure, if it's beyond sixty days out you can keep the credit in your account, but a lot of people don't have any guarantee that they'll be flying with the airline again in the next year.
Want no bag fees - get the AS credit card (20k miles). Alaska recently waived fees, relaxed oversized and overweight restrictions on sporting goods (bicycles, golf clubs, etc) - still $75 on WN.
A lot of people don't fly frequently enough to bother with an airline affinity credit card. And a lot don't need to drag golf clubs or bikes them them.
The AS award program has a HUGE number of INTERNATIONAL partners, offering award flights to most any destination worldwide. For those who rack up miles flying for business, the last thing you want is to fly the same lousy coach seat to another US destination.
A lot of people don't rack up miles for business or don't even think once about vacationing on another continent!

Look, I'm no WN cheerleader; I flew them a bit between PDX and ONT as a kid, but a few months ago I decided to, for the first time in ten years, try them getting home from PIT because the schedule worked a bit better than taking AA, and the experience was fairly miserable. I am actively going to avoid them in the future. But they're mostly filling those planes with people who don't fly terribly often, and for them it makes a lot of sense.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love AS, but will always chose a nonstop WN flight over an AS connection. This explains why Southwest sent me a targeted offer today for their A-list status thru yearend, offering me priority boarding and a few other perks.
Hmmmm. Maybe my offer is coming soon!

I'll take the WN nonstop v a connection on shorter hops, and for more convenient city pairs (also, on shorter hops).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Unlike WN, AS offers free same day standby on some (all?) intra-California routes (website just says SJC-SNA and SJC-SAN, although I wonder if the website just hasn't been updated in a while).
Never quite understood the allure of free same day standby when there are three flights a day (or less), all spaced about six hours apart.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love AS, but will always chose a nonstop WN flight over an AS connection. This explains why Southwest sent me a targeted offer today for their A-list status thru yearend, offering me priority boarding and a few other perks.
I may be in the minority, but I'm just the opposite....I'd pick a connection on AS over a nonstop on WN any day especially since AS has a traditional mileage-based program which means more EQMs with connections. This IS Flyertalk, right??
spamman808 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Never quite understood the allure of free same day standby when there are three flights a day (or less), all spaced about six hours apart.
in DL parlance, it's called being a "gamer" ... pay maybe half the price of the flight you really want for a flight you're willing to take (clearly most applicable to non-status or MVP-level pax who don't get free SDC)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767
in DL parlance, it's called being a "gamer" ... pay maybe half the price of the flight you really want for a flight you're willing to take (clearly most applicable to non-status or MVP-level pax who don't get free SDC)
I gambled and lost last week... really didn't want to wake up at 4 AM the day after the eclipse ex-MCI
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I may be in the minority, but I'm just the opposite....I'd pick a connection on AS over a nonstop on WN any day especially since AS has a traditional mileage-based program which means more EQMs with connections. This IS Flyertalk, right??
Yes, but sometimes you just don't have 6 hours to get from Oakland to Burbank
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
AS still has a very small footprint at many large CA airports. OAK (4th), ONT (8th), LGB (10th) have seen none of this expansion, while SMF (7th) and BUR (9th) have seen just a touch. AS is not really competitive with WN at those airports, which serve a very large chunk of the state's regional passenger traffic.
Not to mention that they (AS+VX) are a distant 5th at LAX as well (and behind WN there, too). WN just announced a lot of new service starting in the spring at airports like SAN and SJC. They're out for the kill. And they have the capital to do it.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:58 pm

I am happy if you are happy - the of the mysteries of life.

With that said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would choose a shinny new OO E75 over an uncomfortable WN 737, with pre-reserved seats, premium economy is often priced about the same as WN.

AS also has a form of no change fees, offers refunds if their price goes down. WN may not charge a fee to change, but you are required to pay the new fare.
Want no bag fees - get the AS credit card (20k miles). Alaska recently waived fees, relaxed oversized and overweight restrictions on sporting goods (bicycles, golf clubs, etc) - still $75 on WN.

AS has free streaming video and music, I can live without TV for a few hours

Meets all of my needs out of SAN

The AS award program has a HUGE number of INTERNATIONAL partners, offering award flights to most any destination worldwide. For those who rack up miles flying for business, the last thing you want is to fly the same lousy coach seat to another US destination.
As people above have mentioned, these mostly have qualifiers that explain why way more people fly WN for their intra-CA and intra-west flying (most people don't want an AS credit card; most people don't want to have to study for hours and religiously watch award space to be able to use their points/miles; great it works for you out of SAN but at other large airports it's a much smaller network than WN; E175 amenities are not helpful if you're on a Q400, etc)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
WN going to Hawaii?

WN marketing has apparently been working overtime, getting the media excited about the POSSIBILITY of offering flights to Hawaii, visions of sugar-plums fairies are dancing in the heads of the WN faithful WN going to Hawaii

This could be interpreted at least in part as a response to the subject growing competition, I find it hard to believe that WN could offer serious competition to well established AS service out of most West Coast gateways. As indicated in the latest thread in the WN forum, many of the FT faithful are focused on the ability to use companion passes, use RR points, will be interesting to see what kind of restrictions / redemption premiums WN imposes.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:38 am

WN marketing has apparently been working overtime, getting the media excited about the POSSIBILITY of offering flights to Hawaii, visions of sugar-plums fairies are dancing in the heads of the WN faithful WN going to Hawaii

This could be interpreted at least in part as a response to the subject growing competition, I find it hard to believe that WN could offer serious competition to well established AS service out of most West Coast gateways. As indicated in the latest thread in the WN forum, many of the FT faithful are focused on the ability to use companion passes, use RR points, will be interesting to see what kind of restrictions / redemption premiums WN imposes.
WN has built in demand by way of a huge FF base in California, so I think they'll be just fine. AS has benefited by not having WN competition to Hawaii but once WN starts they'll likely take very large chunks of AS business from SMF, OAK, SJC, and SAN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.