Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Old May 13, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: Nectar Card
No AS elite benefits on SQ, yes? (Though is it possible to use a Star Alliance Gold number to do things like pick seats, but then swap it back to Mileage Plan? Or if that's too risky, it should work to use the Star Alliance card for things like priority check in and lounge access while an AS number is on the ticket?)
Old May 13, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is this a redemption or a cash booking? I don’t see what the risk would be on an award booking.

For a cash booking, are you trying to get bulkhead or something?
Old May 13, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is this a redemption or a cash booking? I dont see what the risk would be on an award booking.

On an award booking there's no reason to swap it back.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 4:25 pm

Is this a redemption or a cash booking? I dont see what the risk would be on an award booking.

Apologies, I should have specified. A cash booking, yes.

Sure, a bulkhead would be nice. Since SQ's flights tend to be long, I think seat choice makes a difference and I hope to optimize it. (If it were a short haul, I wouldn't be fussed.)
Old May 13, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama

Sure, a bulkhead would be nice. Since SQ's flights tend to be long, I think seat choice makes a difference and I hope to optimize it. (If it were a short haul, I wouldn't be fussed.)
I think SQ supports FQTV and FQTS (two programs in the record), so maybe its not particularly risky?
Old May 13, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would attach your *A number when you book and then change to AS at check in. An airport agent can do this if it's not doable as part of the OLCI flow. And double check your BPs to make sure that the AS number stuck.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On an award booking there's no reason to swap it back.
Does AS' award booking flow support entering a different FF# than the AS#? For instance, it's obvious and possible on UA's flow.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I would attach your *A number when you book and then change to AS at check in. An airport agent can do this if it's not doable as part of the OLCI flow. And double check your BPs to make sure that the AS number stuck.
Thanks!

I think SQ supports FQTV and FQTS (two programs in the record), so maybe its not particularly risky?
Interesting... is it possible to specify at some point, a different number for each of these (whatever benefits each conveys)?
Old May 14, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
SQ does, but support for it is limited even across *A carriers. Most airline staff I've talked to aren't even aware it's a thing anymore. I suspect it's mainly used for tracking PPS spend nowadays. I'd be amazed if the system even accepts entering a MileagePlan number into the FQTS field.

Interesting... is it possible to specify at some point, a different number for each of these (whatever benefits each conveys)?
You can call to have the numbers added in. Under ordinary *A rules, you could theoretically call SQ and have them put a Krisflyer number into FQTS (e.g. if you'd previously earned Gold via their transfer bonus) and then credit the spend towards say, UA or AC by entering that in the FQTV field.

FQTV -- the program you wish to credit miles toward
FQTS -- the program indicating your level of status
Old May 15, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm finding plenty of availability LAX-NRT, but when I try to add SEA-LAX on the front end the SQ flights don't show. Flight SEA-LAX do appear for flights on JL and AA, but those flights don't have J availability. Are these awards only available without an AS positioning flight?
Old May 15, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I'm finding plenty of availability LAX-NRT, but when I try to add SEA-LAX on the front end the SQ flights don't show. Flight SEA-LAX do appear for flights on JL and AA, but those flights don't have J availability. Are these awards only available without an AS positioning flight?
It shows AS-->SQ flights for SEA-LAX-SIN and SEA-LAX-SIN-BKK, so it looks like LAX-NRT may be restricted. I would call AS to see if the agent can do it manually.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by alfrie
It shows AS-->SQ flights for SEA-LAX-SIN and SEA-LAX-SIN-BKK, so it looks like LAX-NRT may be restricted. I would call AS to see if the agent can do it manually.
Understood. But it doesn't explain, or does it and I'm just not understanding your explanation, why SEA-LAX-NRT is blocked while LAX-NRT is showing available. The AS flight SEA-LAX is showing available for the same routing where the LAX-NRT leg is on JL. This is simply adding an AS flight on the front end of the routing. I understand the concept of married segments, but the LAX-NRT segment is showing available as a stand alone segment. It's when adding an AS segment that it doesn't work.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:05 pm

Just book the partner portion, then call to add the AS segment (or try to add it after booking).
Old May 16, 2022, 1:39 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
All

I have two SQ business AS mileage award round trip on SQ from California to Phuket and back June 1-16.

On the SingaporeAir website when pulling up our reservations, one of the four legs (SQ740 SIN-HKT) is showing reserved, not confirmed. All other legs are showing as confirmed. Ill try to add a screenshot below.

Initially, this presented as an issue where we could not select our business class seats. Now that we are closer to flight time, we cannot book meals. And on day of departure, per SQ, they say we will not be able to fly this leg as we are not confirmed. They added that AS did not ticket properly and nothing they can do to assist as its Alaska 027 ticket stock and not theirs. While we have space allocation, AS hasnt yet issued the ticket properly and we wont make it past Singapore.

After hours of phone calls with both Singapore and Alaska, AS continues to say nothing is wrong, reissues the ticket (again, now up to the 5th time) and Singapore says we only have valid ticket to Singapore.

Sorry, Im probably not explaining this effectively and not sure Ive posted in best thread, but have any of you experienced this when redeeming AS miles on SQ flights? Any thoughts on how I can get AS to correct? Or is it SQ to correct?

Thanks, DUT

Showing SIN -HKT reserved 👎

Showing LAX - SIN confirmed 👍

Last edited by DUT; May 16, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 5:04 pm

Understood. But it doesn't explain, or does it and I'm just not understanding your explanation, why SEA-LAX-NRT is blocked while LAX-NRT is showing available. The AS flight SEA-LAX is showing available for the same routing where the LAX-NRT leg is on JL. This is simply adding an AS flight on the front end of the routing. I understand the concept of married segments, but the LAX-NRT segment is showing available as a stand alone segment. It's when adding an AS segment that it doesn't work.

AS shows the itinerary above, but not SJC-LAX-NRT. Maybe it requires touching down in SIN in order to add AS segment. Just a wild thought.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by DUT
All

After hours of phone calls with both Singapore and Alaska, AS continues to say nothing is wrong, reissues the ticket (again, now up to the 5th time) and Singapore says we only have valid ticket to Singapore.
I suggest you add the trip to 'CheckMyTrip' App. Then tap SIN-HKT segment to check if there is a ticket number? does it match the latest number that AS reissued? Since AS claimed it was issued properly, can you just give the 027 number to SQ and ask them to attach it to that segment? At least SQ should be able to see what's on that ticket thru GDS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.