Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm sure the vast market of people wanting to fly BOI-SIN will make it work...

I am thinking ANC/SEA/PDX/FAI/SAN/SLC/FCA/HNL-SIN to maximize geographic coverage. With A380s doing fifth freedom routes to NRT/KIX/PEK/YEG/MEX/LIR...
LOL. Is BOI-SIN the AS version of LIT-NRT? (the long running joke on the AA forum)

Originally Posted by beckoa
This should be ANC-SIN.

And AS would of course choose the 787... "If it ain't Boeing"
To be sure, it is possible to fly from the East Coast of USA to HKG on UA B737 (yes, 737) all the way (e.g., BOS - LAX - HNL - Island Hop - GUM - HKG). With ANC and ADK on its route map, AS could pull off something like this if they really tried! (Needs all kinds of 5th freedom, but JL, CX and SQ are partners, right?)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Another odd (if technically not yet relevant) omission? FLL-JFK, which would be Zone 4-Zone 4. I will say, the amount of hair-splitting in there over 500-1000 miles between zones amuses me.
VX cancelled JFK-FLL. AS is very unlikely to reinstate it.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Ah...I hadn't recalled whether that was a seasonal cancellation (the route came and went from what I remember) or a full-on cancellation.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Barely a month after Alaska and Singapore announces a solid partnership, Singapore's award space is back on United. Am I reading too much into this?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
Barely a month after Alaska and Singapore announces a solid partnership, Singapore's award space is back on United. Am I reading too much into this?
Don't know - what are you reading into it?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Don't know - what are you reading into it?
That Singapore and UA were not in best terms for the past three years. Singapore partners up with AS and now UA does not have much of a choice.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I realize it says it can take up to 14 days for partner miles to post, but generally, what is the experience? I'm relatively new to AS Mileage Plan and took an SQ flight over a week ago & credited to AS, but nothing's posted as yet. I've saved my boarding pass & the receipt just in case - but was curious what other's experiences have been so far?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I realize it says it can take up to 14 days for partner miles to post, but generally, what is the experience? I'm relatively new to AS Mileage Plan and took an SQ flight over a week ago & credited to AS, but nothing's posted as yet. I've saved my boarding pass & the receipt just in case - but was curious what other's experiences have been so far?
they quote two weeks and they really can take up to two weeks. I recently had a bunch of LATAM, AA- and even Alaska flights take a week and a half.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
VX cancelled JFK-FLL. AS is very unlikely to reinstate it.
True, though AS should try to have a greater presence in the East Coast
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
True, though AS should try to have a greater presence in the East Coast
It’s extremely unlikely that AS is going to go into a market (NYC-Florida) that has a ton of competition when they have very obviously chosen to concentrate on competing in a market where they have LOTS of room to grow (California), as well as serious competition (WN, UA plus everyone and their uncle at LAX).

I would expect a certain amount of growth to the East Coast out of California, but there’s just no reason for them to try assaulting NYC, Florida AND California at the same time.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
If I can get intra-Asia/Asia-Australia or India J redemptions on midhaul equipment at reasonable rates and SIN stopovers on one ways for redemptions (something like what JL offers) I'll call it good.
I'd call that good too. I'd call it wonderful. I'd also call it ludicrously wishful thinking.

JL flies intra-Asia/Asia-Australia and to India and AS has never included any of that on their JL award chart except for intra-Asia. If they follow this pattern with SQ, they'll only give us North America-Asia and intra-Asia. North America-Asia will be worthless for premium cabins, as there will never be any availability, leaving it as effectively just an intra-Asia table. (In that case, you might as well use UA miles to fly to Asia and the "excursionist perk" to book a free intra-Asia flight as part of that.)

I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but everything points to this being the most useless partnership AS has ever announced.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'd call that good too. I'd call it wonderful. I'd also call it ludicrously wishful thinking.
OK. Your opinion is noted.

JL flies intra-Asia/Asia-Australia and to India and AS has never included any of that on their JL award chart except for intra-Asia. If they follow this pattern with SQ
First off, JL is bookable to India on AS miles.

Secondly AS DOES have a partner for whom they have an intra-Asia and Asian city-Australia chart... CX.

So it's not a given as to what "pattern" will be followed.

In that case, you might as well use UA miles to fly to Asia and the "excursionist perk" to book a free intra-Asia flight as part of that.
Not interested, thanks. I'm waiting to burn out the last of my UA miles and then be done with them.

PQDs and Basic Economy plus the joy of SFO ATC ground holds for most of my flying patterns? I'd rather fly NK. At least they don't pretend they're anything but an ULCC when they shove you in the back and charge you for everything. I'd have to strain considerably just to make Silver with them, so it's rotten seats, board last, no carryon, and upcharges for anything better if I choose UA. UA is completely unattractive to me as a program and as an airline. Maybe if I was hub captive in someplace like IAD and had no choice...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 22, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
First off, JL is bookable to India on AS miles.

Secondly AS DOES have a partner for whom they have an intra-Asia and Asian city-Australia chart... CX.
I didn't realise they had added an undocumented award option. Asia-India on alaskaair.com's chart lookup only lists CX and no other partners. Good to know.

The latter is exactly my point. AS has one single partner for Asia-Australia, CX, and has not added any of the other three Asian partners that have joined since.
Not JAL.
Not Hainan Airlines.
Not Korean. (They do have USA-Australia awards, but if they did that with SQ, it would be useless due to lack of availability on the USA-Asia part.)
That is the pattern.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:15 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat

Actually, CX is not intra-Asia and Asian City - Australia - it's ONLY HKG to Asia/Australia...

And I'm afraid, SQ will be the same - flights from the US to SIN and connect to other destinations in Asia/Australia/ME from SIN

AS MileagePlan is the most restrictive program I've seen when it comes to using partner flights...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
DEL is consider Asia for JL awards. Its considered Asia even with using JL miles. Its the only Indian city with JL service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.