Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Warning: Flyers Who Booked AA Through AS Are in Boarding Group 7 [Resolved]

Old Aug 30, 17, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry

I booked an award ticket in F through AS which had the second leg on AA metal (SEA-PHL). Although seated in F, the gate agent said all passengers with AS boarding passes must board with Group 7. So much more my overhead space in Row 2. Just thought I would share in case any potential flyers expected to board with the first class pax in this situation.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Probably due to the AS boarding pass not showing a group number? The easy fix is to get an AA boarding pass either from AA's website, app or at the airport from an agent or kiosk.
DutchessPDX and OO-SLC-CR9 like this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:36 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Why didn't you board with F pax?
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:42 am
Original Poster

alphaeagle offered the solution. In PHL I asked for new AA boarding pass which read Zone 1.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lalala View Post
Why didn't you board with F pax?
They emphasized more than once to only board with your zone number, and that if you had AS boarding pass, to board with Zone 7. I wasn't looking to cause a scene.
Old Aug 30, 17, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
They emphasized more than once to only board with your zone number, and that if you had AS boarding pass, to board with Zone 7. I wasn't looking to cause a scene.
I don't think asking for an AA boarding pass would be "causing a scene."
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
I just flew an AS award on AA in F yesterday (CLT-SMF) and had no such experience. I checked in using the AA app and the AA confirmation number, and my BP reflected zone 1/priority/first class. My first segment (GSO-CLT) was in coach and my BP reflected zone 4/priority and I was able to select MCE at check in for free.

I thought the experience was perfectly acceptable. Wasn't happy about having to spend 32.5K, but being that I booked the ticket about 12 hours in advance, I wasn't in a position to negotiate when the alternative was $700 for a coach ticket on the cheapest routing.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
I booked an award ticket in F through AS which had the second leg on AA metal (SEA-PHL). Although seated in F, the gate agent said all passengers with AS boarding passes must board with Group 7. So much more my overhead space in Row 2. Just thought I would share in case any potential flyers expected to board with the first class pax in this situation.
Pretty sure the agent meant non-elite Alaska flyers. AS elites board in Group 4 and a F ticket is Group 1.

Regardless I would have boarded as soon as they called for FC.
ctporter likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
As noted above on AA F boards with Group 1. You can either get a number boarding pass or just board when Group 1 and First class is called.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
They're not going to turn you away from the F line if you have an F boarding pass. Alaska might not print all of the priority designations, but your seat number still makes it apparent that you are in F. Such announcements are for everyone else in Y who has an OAL BP and doesn't know when to board.
Old Aug 30, 17, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Sensationalist title...
Old Aug 30, 17, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Mod note: The thread title has been updated to be more informative and note an available workaround.

dayone, AS/VX Moderator.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that the GA was not thinking about F and the OP never asked (no need to create a scene, just ask).

The obvious workaround really is obvious.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I suspect that the GA was not thinking about F and the OP never asked (no need to create a scene, just ask).

The obvious workaround really is obvious.
In partial defense of the OP, perhaps the announcement was made as boarding was starting. It's hard to ask the GA a question once boarding has started. If the announcement was done before boarding started, then ask by all means.
ctporter likes this.
Old Aug 31, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I am 75K and flew AA AUS-DFW and AS DFW-SEA yesterday. I boarded AA with group four, and seemed to be low on the totem pole. Had to put my bag several rows aft.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: