Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Reassigned Aisle to middle seat, minutes before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reassigned Aisle to middle seat, minutes before boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It was at that first moment when they told you about being reassigned that I would have said "oh, I understand the flight is full, we really prefer middle and aisle - can you please put the other person in the window?" and then let them call that person up to the podium to let them know they had been reassigned to the window, just as they called you up with the change.

And to those who really want the middle and aisle, and let a stranger in the middle - I hope you don't then talk over that poor middle person, or hand things back and forth.

Another question - would booking on separate PNR's solve the issue, or would they still notice the same names (if they are the same)?
My wife and I pick the window and aisle and if there is a middle person they always take the window when we offer it to them except for ONE time on Valentine's Day from SEA-PHL....the lady for whatever reason didn't want to move (as was her right) although it was still surprising....we talked over her and passed things back and forth, but not TOO much
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My wife and I pick the window and aisle and if there is a middle person they always take the window when we offer it to them except for ONE time on Valentine's Day from SEA-PHL....the lady for whatever reason didn't want to move (as was her right) although it was still surprising....we talked over her and passed things back and forth, but not TOO much
She wanted to stay warm with both of you on either side of her _
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I'm more than a little shocked at the number of people against the OP's position here. I'd be pissed if this happened to me. Gaming the system? Are you kidding?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thegingninj
I'm more than a little shocked at the number of people against the OP's position here. I'd be pissed if this happened to me. Gaming the system? Are you kidding?
+1 ^
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by channa
"Not responsible for loss or damage to vehicle" is also shown on your valet ticket. That doesn't mean they can treat your car poorly.

AS may have had the contractual or legal right to do what they did. That doesn't make it right.
but...sometimes the vehicle is lost or damaged and you have no claim, in this case I feel sorry for the OP, I would be pissed, however AS have the right even if many say they dont.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
My wife and I have been married a long time. We can spend 6 hours apart, not seated together, and survive (unlike some others but that's another thread). I like a window. She likes the aisle. Neither of us like the middle and are fine sitting apart to avoid it. I get the "no seat guaranteed" blah blah blah. But is it now Alaska Airlines' policy to FORCE one of us to sit in a middle seat if we are on the same PNR? We can't choose the seat each of us prefers anymore? Really???
No,not policy, but one instance where they decided for reasons not one person here is aware of, to act as per their rights and make an extremley minor change for one passenger.

Thats me done, I understand not best for PR but you would have to assume that they KNOW this and decided for operational reasons this was the best course of action
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
No,not policy, but one instance where they decided for reasons not one person here is aware of, to act as per their rights and make an extremley minor change for one passenger.

Thats me done, I understand not best for PR but you would have to assume that they KNOW this and decided for operational reasons this was the best course of action
No, I think they were full and randomly decided to move the aisle rather than the window, instead of asking the OP. Or...maybe when they assigned the new passenger, that person said "I'd prefer the aisle"...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Is it possible that the person assigned to that aisle seat had an aisle seat in another row and was moved in order for a family to sit together and they wanted to be able to keep her in an aisle seat?

I understand the concern of not being consulted but I do see it very busy right before boarding and all the shuffling around may not allow time to inform everyone of what is going on.

I was bumped out of exit row aisle to window no-recline a couple weeks ago the day before the flight with no notification. AS has problems in this area for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Where OP lost me was when OP seemingly decided in advance on behalf of the potential middle seat occupant that they would a) trade seats and b) exactly where they would trade to.
I don't see the problem with this at all. I see this exact same scenario play out on nearly every flight I'm on. Typically, the person that was given the middle seat is happy because they'd rather have a window than a middle. If the person that got the middle seat prefers to keep the middle seat there isn't much they could do. It's not as though they're inconveniencing anybody, they just tried to score a row alone together - which rarely happens these days.

To the OP - I would write AS. I don't think the agent should have relocated you simply to move another passenger without first consulting you. What happens if you simply wanted an aisle and a window? It's your prerogative.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:53 am

Having never flown AS before do you get to select your seats in basic economy when you book/pay for you tickets or do you have to wait to do that online at check in 24 hrs before you flight? Does this same procedure work if you pay extra for a preferred seat or F class seat? I don't know why but I assumed with all tickets you picked your seat when you buy your ticket and that is that...again just my assumption though and not knowing how this airline works.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Alaska doesn't have basic economy, one of may reasons why Alaska is better than the big three

All passengers can pre-select a seat at time of booking, although some premium seats may have an upcharge depending on your (lack of) status.

Neil
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Having never flown AS before do you get to select your seats in basic economy when you book/pay for you tickets or do you have to wait to do that online at check in 24 hrs before you flight? Does this same procedure work if you pay extra for a preferred seat or F class seat? I don't know why but I assumed with all tickets you picked your seat when you buy your ticket and that is that...again just my assumption though and not knowing how this airline works.
You can select a basic economy seat at the time of booking without having to have status or pay a fee to select a seat. If you opt to purchase a premium economy or first class seat you may also select your seat at the time of purchase. Alaska rarely moves passengers without calling them up to the podium to ask the passenger if they will move to accommodate a family or other need, either while at the airport or by phone ahead of time.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
Alaska doesn't have basic economy, one of may reasons why Alaska is better than the big three

All passengers can pre-select a seat at time of booking, although some premium seats may have an upcharge depending on your (lack of) status.

Neil
Ah. Sorry this is all new to me thank you for clarifying. So no matter what ticket class I purchase I will be able to select my seat at that time and it should stay my seat, with no additional seat selecting when I check in at 24 hrs....and no seat bumping for the most part? Thank you for answering my questions.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Ah. Sorry this is all new to me thank you for clarifying. So no matter what ticket class I purchase I will be able to select my seat at that time and it should stay my seat, with no additional seat selecting when I check in at 24 hrs....and no seat bumping for the most part? Thank you for answering my questions.
At booking you can pick any seat you want, except Premium Class or, on planes that don't have Premium yet, the seats from the front of coach to the exit row; they're reserved for elites and passengers on refundable fares. It's possible that at booking you can wind up with a completely full rear end of the cabin and won't actually be able to pick a seat. But those seats (i.e., "preferred" but not Premium) open to everyone at T-24, and before I had status I had a lot of success grabbing window seats in that part of the cabin at checkin time.

And yeah, you can generally expect seats choices to be honored--the complaints around here are mostly from elites who select row 6 or an exit row in the old config but get "upgraded" to a middle Premium seat when it turns out their plane has the new configuration.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
At booking you can pick any seat you want, except Premium Class or, on planes that don't have Premium yet, the seats from the front of coach to the exit row; they're reserved for elites and passengers on refundable fares. It's possible that at booking you can wind up with a completely full rear end of the cabin and won't actually be able to pick a seat. But those seats (i.e., "preferred" but not Premium) open to everyone at T-24, and before I had status I had a lot of success grabbing window seats in that part of the cabin at checkin time.

And yeah, you can generally expect seats choices to be honored--the complaints around here are mostly from elites who select row 6 or an exit row in the old config but get "upgraded" to a middle Premium seat when it turns out their plane has the new configuration.
Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure I understood. We normally fly Southwest so I was hoping there would be more confirmation on where I sit prior to 24 hours out (taking in consideration what you said about preferred/elite reserved) with Alaska as compared with Southwest, if that makes sense lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.