Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Reassigned Aisle to middle seat, minutes before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reassigned Aisle to middle seat, minutes before boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is not how it's done. If they need a seat, they page people and ask them. Maybe they preferred to relinquish the window, not the aisle. Maybe they preferred their seats and did not care about seating next to each other.
slopeboy40 likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 25, 2017 at 11:09 pm Reason: Remove OT reference.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Where OP lost me was when OP seemingly decided in advance on behalf of the potential middle seat occupant that they would a) trade seats and b) exactly where they would trade to.

He planned to trade if necessary so they'd be configured in the aisle and middle, not window and middle which is what happened. If he has a strong preference for an aisle then he has every right to be very upset. Alaska can and should do better than what happened here.
PDXPremier and slopeboy40 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
So you tried to take advantage and lost. One of you were going to end up in the middle anyways. Seems like a dumb complaint to me. Its not like both of you ended up in different rows. It say move on, you pressed your luck and you lost.
Agreed. Not to be rude, but that's a crappy strategy. I'd surmise the GA noticed it too. Leisure routes during peak travel are usually jammed and there are always families with small children. You either book seats next to one another or across the aisle...or you take your chances.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In this case I would definitely side with the OP...it boils down to AS changing someone's seat assignment at the last minute without permission from the passenger....at the very least the OP deserved to be given a reason...why wasn't the aisle seat passenger placed in the middle that was unoccupied? My wife and I do the window/aisle combo all the time....it's a smart seat selection strategy....this is not about playing a "game". I would drop a note to AS listens...I got moved to a different seat without my permission last month and they were never able to tell me why it happened....I didn't ask for anything but they still sent me a $75 ecert for the hassle and I eventually ended up in my original seat.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In this case I would definitely side with the OP...it boils down to AS changing someone's seat assignment at the last minute without permission from the passenger....at the very least the OP deserved to be given a reason...why wasn't the aisle seat passenger placed in the middle that was unoccupied? My wife and I do the window/aisle combo all the time....it's a smart seat selection strategy....this is not about playing a "game". I would drop a note to AS listens...I got moved to a different seat without my permission last month and they were never able to tell me why it happened....I didn't ask for anything but they still sent me a $75 ecert for the hassle and I eventually ended up in my original seat.
Agreed. My girlfriend and I do the same thing. In the end OP's motives were not a factor in the GA decision (how could they have known what the intention was), and they were moved aisle to middle without permission. OP, reaching out to AS probably won't hurt, and they've always done a great job (in my experience, can't speak for anyone else here) about rectifying situations where I've felt slighted.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by spamman808
Agreed. My girlfriend and I do the same thing. In the end OP's motives were not a factor in the GA decision (how could they have known what the intention was), and they were moved aisle to middle without permission. OP, reaching out to AS probably won't hurt, and they've always done a great job (in my experience, can't speak for anyone else here) about rectifying situations where I've felt slighted.
and..oner more time... Seat assignments are not guaranteed, nor does ANY airline need permission to change, maybe not great PR but, they have the 100% right to do as they please, argue at your peril, especially in the United States of Attorneys !
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by worldtravellerSEA
You are missing thr point. I am not pissed about "losing" the middle seat. I was anyways expecting that someone might show up on the middle seat and I make the switch with them. I am angry about my aisle seat replaced with middle without my consent, for no good reason at all. I don't find this acceptable!
I know what you mean but honestly, waste of time bringing it up here. You are going to get hammered by the usual suspects here about "you knew the game" and crap like that. You booked the aisle seat and are not happy you got moved to the middle seat.

Totally understand your fustrations and anger. But if you were expecting sympathy on here, don't bother. This mob would rather embarrass and make you look like a fool than actually try to understand the issue here.

This only happens on American flights...crap like this (re-assignment of seats) rarely happens anywhere else in the world because customer service is dead over in the states.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by wolf72
This mob would rather embarrass and make you look like a fool than actually try to understand the issue here.
We all understand the issue here. AS has every right to move him without asking him first. He wasn't moved to some seat back by the lavatory, just one seat over where he belonged in the first place. if it were a different row while they were reaccommodating families it would have been a $100 voucher.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Sounds like a bad GA.

the folks in the row behind me on ANCSEA were called to the podium by a GA and was asked about moving seats to accommodate a family and they said no. Problem was a family member was right there and protested. People said, rightfully, this is why they chose those seats when they booked.

so it goes both ways. At least AS *asked*.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:20 am

We all understand the issue here. AS has every right to move him without asking him first. He wasn't moved to some seat back by the lavatory, just one seat over where he belonged in the first place. if it were a different row while they were reaccommodating families it would have been a $100 voucher.
This is not about rights but about how AS treats its customers.

However, two things perplex me:

1. If the OP was generally expecting a likely move to a middle seat, then what is the complaint? I personally am more with those that choose window and aisle or two aisles as a couple and intend to keep them.

2. There didn't seem to be any point in particular for the GA to make the move. This particular move was not to the benefit of a family or other meaningful issue but just gratuitous seat shifting by the GA. What was up with that?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's not the most compelling complaint in the world, but what could the airline's rationale have been for putting the last minute solo non-status lady in occupied 11C instead of in empty 11B?

I can see no valid operational reason for doing that, except that this lady asked nicely for an aisle seat and the gate agent was sharp enough to notice a couple on the same reservation or with same name trying the split seats/empty middle seat gambit and she said "Oh screw them I'm giving this lady the aisle seat."
BenA and slopeboy40 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Fair enough but why wasn't the passenger seated in the middle seat which was empty and why was he (the OP) moved from his selected aisle seat to the middle?

He may well have been a larged size gentleman who needed more space with the advantage of an aisle seat rather than squeezed between two passengers in the middle, no?
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wolf72
Fair enough but why wasn't the passenger seated in the middle seat which was empty and why was he (the OP) moved from his selected aisle seat to the middle?
The gate agent realized exactly what this couple was doing and considered it to be bad form and violation of the unwritten rules of air travel seating courtesy. To her, splitting seats like this couple did and leaving an empty middle is an abhorrent practice, because it makes it harder for her to seat other passengers near each other (like aisle-aisle) and harder for her to accommodate other passengers' window/aisle seating preferences.

When couples do this it can lead to more passengers complaining and moaning to the gate agent about not getting seats they want.

So she torpedoed the couple's scheme and probably enjoyed doing it.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
The "old" Alaska would have paged up the OP & asked about it and if they want to keep the aisle or window.
slopeboy40 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The gate agent realized exactly what this couple was doing and considered it to be bad form and violation of the unwritten rules of air travel seating courtesy. To her, splitting seats like this couple did and leaving an empty middle is an abhorrent practice, because it makes it harder for her to seat other passengers near each other (like aisle-aisle) and harder for her to accommodate other passengers' window/aisle seating preferences..
Seating preferences are first-come, first served. Passengers who check in early shouldn't be expected to leave the window or aisle seats open for the late arrivals.

What would you say if your grocer asked you to buy the spoiled produce so later shoppers could have the fresh items?

The fact that the window and aisle passengers are traveling together, or even married, is not relevant.
slopeboy40 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.