Wiki Posts
Search

AS LAX Connection: T-6 <-> TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
AS LAX Connection: T-6 <-> TBIT

It has been ages since I made this connection (last time AS was T-3), and in searching, it looks that you can now remain airside using a tunnel from T-6 to T-4, and another tunnel to TBIT. Is this correct?

What is approx time to make the walk from T-6 all the way to TBIT.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I did it last night to kill time as the AS lounge at LAX is pretty pitiful. It takes at least 20 minutes to walk. There are a few ups and downs. You go downstairs and through the tunnel to terminal 5 and then through to terminal 4. Then go up through the AA gates and it directs you to TBIT. There are quite a few restaurant options over there and depending on the time of day, the other terminals can be a bit less crazy than Terminal 6.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:22 am

It depends how quickly you walk, but I'd say the average person can make it in 20 minutes. Four stretches: 6 to 5; 5 to 4; length of 4; 4 to TBIT.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:36 am
vgc

Why, I just made that walk yesterday as well. It took me about 20 minutes too. The tunnels were not that crowded and I'm sure if you're in a hurry you can make it in 10. The tunnels were pretty warm though.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:39 am

Also, there are often people with carts hanging out in the tunnels asking people if they want a ride. I did that two weeks ago on my way back from the showers in TBIT, and it was wonderful. Not only is it very convenient (they take you right to the escalator in front of the Alaska Lounge), but it's faster than walking and the breeze helps keep you cool.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
I too made the tunnel trip from the AS Lounge in 6 to TBIT (on Friday around midday) in about 20 minutes, and I wasn't in a particular hurry.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I done this many times on long layovers because I love to walk and I like checking out the Intl Airplanes.

20 minutes sounds like a fair average.
Note that from T4 to TBIT it isn't a tunnel ... at least not in the sense of being underground. It's actually one level up from "gate level" with a glass wall overlooking the ramp. As you enter T4 from the T6-T5-T4 tunnel, turn right as if you want to exit T4. Just before getting to the end of the concourse (where passengers just finished with TSA processing are entering the concourse) turn left. The escalator up is a short distance. There are a few turns as you join TBIT, but just keep following the hallway, it will drop you into the main lobby .... all airside.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Connection from CX to AS

Hi All,

I'll be flying from Hong Kong to LAX arriving at 11:10 AM and continuing on to DCA on AS 6 at 12:30. I know I'm really cutting it short time wise, but hopefully since I'm flying J and have global entry I can make it. At a brisk pace, does anyone think you can make it in 10 minutes from TBIT to Terminal 6? Hopefully I can get a lift on one of the carts mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jason
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by jasongc87
Hi All,

I'll be flying from Hong Kong to LAX arriving at 11:10 AM and continuing on to DCA on AS 6 at 12:30. I know I'm really cutting it short time wise, but hopefully since I'm flying J and have global entry I can make it. At a brisk pace, does anyone think you can make it in 10 minutes from TBIT to Terminal 6? Hopefully I can get a lift on one of the carts mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jason
All of the above conversations is about people arriving domestically, thus never leaving the TSA secured area as they pass thru terminals.
Arriving internationally, when you exit immigration/customs, you will be outside the TSA security, so must re-clear.

I'll leave it up to others (who are more familiar with intl connections) to discuss your best options as to where you should re-clear TSA. It can be done in TBIT and you can use the connectors and tunnels to get to T6. Personally, I'd exit TBIT out to the sidewalk, turn right and keep walking till I get to Alaska check-in (use the upper level sidewalk) and clear TSA at T6. The walk would be a little bit shorter and you don't have to worry about finding the tunnel, escalators up/down etc. If you don't have your AS boarding pass, then this is probably your only option. Otherwise, your best option depends on which TSA area is going to be the least busy as you pass by.

The carts you mention are in the T4-T5-T6 tunnel only. That tunnel is narrow, so they don't have a lot of carts running back-n-forth. I don't think I'd wait for one ... if you're not lucky with one waiting I'd start walking.
If you use the outside sidewalk option, there are buses between terminals (I think on the lower level sidewalk). DON'T use the bus, it will at least triple the travel time vs walking.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:29 pm

Don't try and re-clear security in TBIT. Walk outside and hike down to T6 to go through that way. With Global Entry you'll have plenty of time. T4 precheck security is often slow, but you can try and get back in there to see if you get lucky with a cart.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:35 pm

Hi All,

Thanks,
Jason
Yes, if your flight is on time. But what a buzz kill to go from CX biz to AS (first?) while stressing out whether you'll miss your connection.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Yes, if your flight is on time. But what a buzz kill to go from CX biz to AS (first?) while stressing out whether you'll miss your connection.
Sadly its AS Y, but you gotta do what cha gotta do! Still having my fingers crossed for C opening up on CX HKG-JFK!

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll walk about of TBIT, thankfully my luggage will be tagged through (I'll re-check it at LAX customs) and I'll have boarding passes on AS on my phone. I'll let you know if I make it, though it seems CX884 has been a real crap shoot lately and been getting in late almost everyday!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:35 am

Morning Everyone,
Quick update, I successfully was able to make the connection from my CX884 to AS 6 with about 10 minutes to spare. I cleared customs in about 4 minutes (using global entry), got my bags by 11:30, rechecked them at the transfer desk near the TBIT exit, and walked to terminal 6 and re-cleared TSA 11:50. The Cathay Staff was great and tagged my bag from HKG to DCA even though it was under the min. legal connection time and gave me "Express Connect" passes.

Hope this helps to anyone who is in a similar situation in the future,
Jason
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Morning Everyone,
Quick update, I successfully was able to make the connection from my CX884 to AS 6 with about 10 minutes to spare. I cleared customs in about 4 minutes (using global entry), got my bags by 11:30, rechecked them at the transfer desk near the TBIT exit, and walked to terminal 6 and re-cleared TSA 11:50. The Cathay Staff was great and tagged my bag from HKG to DCA even though it was under the min. legal connection time and gave me "Express Connect" passes.

Hope this helps to anyone who is in a similar situation in the future,
Jason
Thanks for reporting back ^

Sounds like things worked out well for you today.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold
LAX connection time from AS at T6 to CX at TBIT

Do you people think it's realistic to get from Terminal 6 to TBIT?

AS PDX-LAX flight coming in at 9:11 connecting with CX LAX-HKG flight leaving at 10:55 with a passenger in a wheelchair.

In the past, people operating the wheelchair transport at LAX wouldn't use the underground airside connector and went outside in a van and then back through security at TBIT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.