Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS LAX Connection: T-6 <-> TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...ns-thread.html
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It’s a legal connection, but MCT D-I for LAX is 90 minutes. You’re not much over that. It might work. Might not. Seems a bit tight for someone with mobility challenges.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
I recently did this in the reverse direction trying to make a 75 minute connection TBIT-T6.

From the moment that I stepped off the plane at TBIT to the moment I got to the AS gate in T6 was 28 minutes. That includes clearing customs (Global Entry) and not using the tunnel, but rather going outside and clearing security (PreCheck) in T6 again. Ended up sitting and grabbing a bite at the restaurant next to the gate with plenty of time to spare.

No wheelchairs were involved though I have to think it is still possible assuming no delays on the incoming. As always YMMV.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:00 pm

TBIT security lines are horribly long from 9pm to midnight. That security line alone might take 30 minutes.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:20 pm

You can do this without a problem through the tunnels, assuming inbound is not late. I usually can walk it in 20 minutes. Pushing a wheelchair, in even twice the time, you should be fine.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wouldn't have a problem doing this myself. A coworker did AS-->FJ with a two hour connection and someone in a wheelchair.

If they make you go outside (not sure why they would), you go to the front of the security line at TBIT.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
DL used to run carts in the tunnels for disabled passengers, don't know why AS wouldn't be willing to send a wheelchair down there.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Wiley
Do you people think it's realistic to get from Terminal 6 to TBIT?

AS PDX-LAX flight coming in at 9:11 connecting with CX LAX-HKG flight leaving at 10:55 with a passenger in a wheelchair.

In the past, people operating the wheelchair transport at LAX wouldn't use the underground airside connector and went outside in a van and then back through security at TBIT.
You can arrange for Alaska to have a cart in the connecting tunnel, and that will save a bunch of time. You don't need to reclear security, so even if you just end up rolling yourself in a wheelchair it won't take more than 45 minutes.

Whatever you do, don't let them take you outside. Not only is trying to drive in a van going to be slower (since not only do you have to deal with traffic, but you have to circle the entire airport to go from 6->T), but then you're going to need to deal with security.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
AS MEXLAX and then LAXSFO

If one is arriving on AS from Mexico, for example, flight status shows it arriving at T-6. Is there still Customs and Immigration there or are you bused to TBIT for Immigration and Customs? If yes, are there Global Entry kiosks at T-6?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by rosscali
If one is arriving on AS from Mexico, for example, flight status shows it arriving at T-6. Is there still Customs and Immigration there or are you bused to TBIT for Immigration and Customs? If yes, are there Global Entry kiosks at T-6?
Yes, there is a Immigration and Customs location in T6. It does have global entry and mobile passport. But it isn’t open all hours of the day; I don’t recall if any AS flights arrive outside of the opening window.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sturges

Yes, there is a Immigration and Customs location in T6. It does have global entry and mobile passport. But it isn’t open all hours of the day; I don’t recall if any AS flights arrive outside of the opening window.
AS flights can arrive outside it's hours of operation. It's not fun when it does...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Originally Posted by NomadNick
I recently did this in the reverse direction trying to make a 75 minute connection TBIT-T6.

From the moment that I stepped off the plane at TBIT to the moment I got to the AS gate in T6 was 28 minutes. That includes clearing customs (Global Entry) and not using the tunnel, but rather going outside and clearing security (PreCheck) in T6 again. Ended up sitting and grabbing a bite at the restaurant next to the gate with plenty of time to spare.

No wheelchairs were involved though I have to think it is still possible assuming no delays on the incoming. As always YMMV.
Thanks (very belatedly) for this information. My wife and I will be transferring from an SQ flight arriving 6:30 am to AS (to SFO) in November on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It will be two separate tickets. We have Global Entry, just carry-on bags and will be in a premium cabin, so should deplane pretty fast, plus we have Fast Track and will check in online. Two questions:

1. Given all of the above, I'm assuming that unless the SQ flight is delayed we should comfortably make the 8:30 am AS flight. But there is also a 9:30 am flight. Any advice on this would be welcome.

2 Also, if we need to kill time, is there a lounge we can use in-between? I have Priority Pass and Amex Plat, but not Alaska Lounge access.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS flights can arrive outside it's hours of operation. It's not fun when it does...
Not sure when the closing is for T-6 customs, but the AS GDL-LAX flight that lands after 9pm goes to the TBIT while the PVR-LAX that lands around 6pm goes to T-6 so my guess is that 7 or 8pm is about closing time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks (very belatedly) for this information. My wife and I will be transferring from an SQ flight arriving 6:30 am to AS (to SFO) in November on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It will be two separate tickets. We have Global Entry, just carry-on bags and will be in a premium cabin, so should deplane pretty fast, plus we have Fast Track and will check in online. Two questions:

1. Given all of the above, I'm assuming that unless the SQ flight is delayed we should comfortably make the 8:30 am AS flight. But there is also a 9:30 am flight. Any advice on this would be welcome.

2 Also, if we need to kill time, is there a lounge we can use in-between? I have Priority Pass and Amex Plat, but not Alaska Lounge access.

Thanks for any help.
1. That's two hours to enter, clear, walk, etc. I think you should be fine, but given that it's a weekend before a major holiday, you might just choose to book yourself some peace of mind, and go with the 0930 departure. Which would give you time for:
2. Can't you use the Star Alliance lounge after ARRIVING in business class on SQ? I BELIEVE you can... may be worth Googling. But, if you can, the Star Alliance lounge at TBIT is pretty nice. Very decent food spread, plus great shower suites. Then just use the connectors to get from TBIT to the Alaska LAX madhouse terminal. I don't recommend the Alaska Lounge at LAX, particularly if you can re-clear security at TBIT and use the Star Lounge there.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Thanks for any help.
Priority Pass should give you AS lounge access, if space is available. The lounge is nothing special, but the location is convenient. You’d also be able to use the VS Club House in T2, but that would be a trek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.