Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Upcoming Flight for Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kattygirl
Story is traffic jams started today in the rural areas. Madras was bumper to bumper most of today and there are rumors of prineville gas stations running out of gas. Many businesses are closing in PDX. The eclipse is cool - but not excited about the chaos.
Yup, not only in Prineville.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/long-gas-li...ches/605684306

Also, for you out of staters visiting (welcome! Hope you have a great time!), please remember that Oregon gas stations are full service, by law. Remain in the car, pop the tank lid, hand your credit card to the attendant. No tip expected.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yup, not only in Prineville.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/long-gas-li...ches/605684306

Also, for you out of staters visiting (welcome! Hope you have a great time!), please remember that Oregon gas stations are full service, by law. Remain in the car, pop the tank lid, hand your credit card to the attendant. No tip expected.
About to change, at least in some rural counties. See http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._heads_to.html
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the advice. Alaska thankfully seem to have agreed to reimburse me the cost of the taxi (i've managed to pre-book one). Was tempted to just rent a car from Seattle but after a long flight i'm not sure I could face the prospect of potentially an 8+ hour drive through heavy traffic down into Oregon, if traffic predictions turn out to be correct.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by philemer
About to change, at least in some rural counties. See http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._heads_to.html
Yeah, Jan 1, 2018. Too late for the eclipse travelers unless the traffic is orders of magnitude beyond worst expectation
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how many people will be working on Monday.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
How long does it normally take to drive from downtown Portland to PDX?

Only asking in case I don't spend the whole day driving from Sublimity to Portland, so I can sightsee for a bit
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk

Only asking in case I don't spend the whole day driving from Sublimity to Portland, so I can sightsee for a bit
Without traffic, 15-20 min
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
On a normal day, you can expect to hit traffic from about 230p to 630p. It can take an hour to go from downtown to PDX at that time.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Originally Posted by tusphotog
On a normal day, you can expect to hit traffic from about 230p to 630p. It can take an hour to go from downtown to PDX at that time.
Thanks - my flight is not until 9pm, so I hope I'll get to have a bit of time in the city.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Thanks - my flight is not until 9pm, so I hope I'll get to have a bit of time in the city.
A good bet, then, is to drop your car off at a downtown rental location and take the MAX to the airport.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
On a "typical weekday," is taking I-205 at its start (from I-5) the most efficient way back to PDX?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx
A good bet, then, is to drop your car off at a downtown rental location and take the MAX to the airport.
That might turn it into a very expensive one way rental...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
That might turn it into a very expensive one way rental...
IME picking up at the airport and dropping off downtown doesn't turn it into a one-way rental. At least not in Portland. Might depend on which rental company you're using.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx
IME picking up at the airport and dropping off downtown doesn't turn it into a one-way rental. At least not in Portland. Might depend on which rental company you're using.
AVIS.

thanks for that - I will enquire at the pick up.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I live in Eugene and it's all over our news today that many, many passengers are stranded (and sleeping from what I can see) in PDX because they are completely OUT of rental cars...today, Thursday, 4 days ahead of the Eclipse. So if renting a car out of PDX is in your plans I'd go to Plan B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.