Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am seeing people successfully buy-up to F at the gate and have even seen GAs start pitching F upgrades at the gate more recently. If you do take advantage of it, make sure you get the MCS to F pricing. Even if you didn't clear MCS, I would press for that pricing based on your status. As far as getting it to happen earlier, good luck. Even online check-in does not present the option.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Club 49- no bennies on Virgin. Still their baggage fees, $25 per bag.
Friends have reported contacting AS Customer Care and having the bag fees refunded once they identified themselves as Club 49. YMMV
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I just booked a PHL SFO flight for the end of May. This flight is operated by VX metal. I am Gold 75K and I’m curious if we know when we will start receiving complimentary upgrades?

Thanks !
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I just booked a PHL SFO flight for the end of May. This flight is operated by VX metal. I am Gold 75K and I’m curious if we know when we will start receiving complimentary upgrades?

Thanks !
It's VX's reservation system holding things up, not the legacy of the aircraft or operations. 4/24 will be the last day that the system is used, and starting 4/25 Alaska's system, along with seating and upgrade policies, will be the only system in use. By May, there will be no such thing as "VX metal".

Sure, there will be plenty of brand legacy, such as the white recliners in the plane and the logo on the side. But according to the reservation system and upgrade processor, those planes will be full-fledged Alaska Airbuses. (Yes, yes, I realize that's already the case in the eyes of the FAA, but the question was about complementary upgrades, you pedantic FlyerTalker concerned with such things. )
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Saw 3 MCS window/aisle seats open on an east coast flight tomorrow, so got on the MCS list 20 mins before the upgrade window opened. Went back at the 24 hour mark and those 3 seats were gone. Clearly I'm not the only one hovering at the 24 hour mark to assign myself a seat. As my seat was now unassigned, called Alaska and asked to opt out of MCS and get my original window seat back. Agent called someone on the Virgin side while I was on hold. After 26 mins she was still waiting, and said she would call me back if she was unable to get my seat back. Checking a few hours later, and I am back in my original seat.

My return flight on Monday, 4 days out, still has open MCS seats and the Virgin website shows I'm still opted in. No idea what will happen there. This is my last VX flight before the April 25 changeover.

My next two trips are on Alaska metal from Sacramento (SEA and EWR) and I'm expecting a much smoother experience with those.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anybody ever tried/succeeded in getting MCS when using miles and seats are still available less than T-24?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:29 am

Have I wrongly assumed that you can only select your MCS seat at the 24 hour mark? Although I called in and asked to be taken off the MCS list for an outgoing flight on Friday due to middle seats only being left (and ended up on an entirely different flight due to weather), I just checked my return flight on Monday and I'm still waitlisted for MCS on that one. My seat showed unassigned at the 24 hour 40 min mark and I successfully changed seats to get in row 3. This is my last Virgin America flight before the changeover.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have seen MCS clear at around 30 minutes before the 24 hour mark so it can be a little variable. You know when you clear when your seat assignment goes blank.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
AS really missed an opportunity with their completely botched implementation of MCS upgrades for elites. I've rarely had a flight where it's gone smoothly and my biggest issue is this:

I normally don't like to opt-in to MCS if I notice only middles left on the seatmap. T-24 I notice some seats free up, but it's next to impossible to get an AS or VX rep to get the MCS upgrade to go through manually. In fact, 7/8 times I've had to stand at the gate and it upgrades immediately. In fairness, AS phone reps usually throw a voucher my way after they get stonewalled by a VX rep and their lack of autonomy.

Coupled with the fact that I still don't understand why AS doesn't allow upgrades to First Class on VX metal, as this would accommodate a lot more elites. What's the difference between giving those white seats out now vs. April 25th?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
What's the difference between giving those white seats out now vs. April 25th?
I’m really tired of “April 25th, all these problems will go away” talk coming from Alaska customer service reps.

the VX upgrades to MCS has been a huge mess, AS upgrade system isn’t operating as described on their own website.

i think they’re beta testing a new upgrade system and it’s not going to be good for elites.

theyre getting more leisure travelers and don’t want to miss out on any of that money. That’s fine as long as they’re not upset when a good portion of they’re business travelers head to another airline.

when the economy heads south again and the leisure travel business shrinks, AS will be in a bad place.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Tried to opt in for MCS online- system indicated success, but it kept allowing me to click the link again. Apparently it didn't work as nothing cleared today. Called an agent tonight who after a short hold, got a VX liaison on the line who asked if I preferred window or aisle She was able to secure MCS for RDU-SFO-SAN tomorrow. ^ OLCI worked too.

Did not ask @ F, as I am not prepared to pay $240 on a flight I'm sleeping on
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Tried to opt in for MCS online- system indicated success, but it kept allowing me to click the link again. Apparently it didn't work as nothing cleared today.
That was the issue I was having this morning. Even though the rez said “opted-in”, nothing cleared and when I would log back in the rez appeared like I never opted in... wonder if it’s a new issue.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Coupled with the fact that I still don't understand why AS doesn't allow upgrades to First Class on VX metal, as this would accommodate a lot more elites. What's the difference between giving those white seats out now vs. April 25th?
The difference is likely a not-insignificant amount of engineering work on a reservation system that hasn't had nonessential active development in a while and is going to be fully retired in 7 weeks. The VX system didn't have F upgrades, and implementing them would pull resources from other integration work that will continue to make a difference two months from now. I would much rather the airline put the resources into getting the currently-finicky AS upgrade processor fixed, and keep it working smoothly for the next however many years it's used, than spend one minute trying to give me free upgrades for my flights next week.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Tried to opt in for MCS online- system indicated success, but it kept allowing me to click the link again.
Did you make the request less than 24 hours before departure? I did that once this year and had the same web site behavior. Didn't ask, and didn't clear, on the outgoing flight, but on the return the gate agent told me I was not on the list, he added me, and I instantly cleared.

edited to add: expect less entertainment options, too
Is the "live" Dish Network news feed gone?

Last edited by tom911; Mar 6, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I was "upgraded" both ways between LAX and FLL last week. I was in an exit row middle on the outbound. It was ok with more legroom than the cramped coach seats. Free booze and food but I was still in a middle.

On the return I was on the bulkhead once again in a middle seat. I didn't care for the bulkhead at all. The panel goes to the floor so I wasn't able to stretch my legs fully. It was a morning flight so I wasn't drinking and even though the food offerings are free, the coach food is not very good at all. A white seat in front sat empty taunting me the entire flight. The seat cushions in the bulkhead also seemed short. I felt like I was perched on the seat instead of sitting in it. My hip bones were aching when we finally landed. I'm just 5-11 so I'm not exactly a giant.

I will avoid VX metal as much as possible going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.