Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Slightly off topic, I am traveling with two people who are AS Club 49 members, both with no other status. Both checked in this morning. One was charged $50 for two checked bags. The other was not charged anything. Both checked in on the AS website. We will try to get a refund at the airport.

Last edited by BOB W; Feb 25, 2018 at 10:09 am Reason: 50 not 500
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by BOB W
One was charged $500 for two checked bags.
I hope that has an extra 0 on the end. Or came with a free First seat.
safari ari likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Got moved from exit row aisle to 3E. I called and no aisle or window seats available so I will take 3E. No F buy ups available at thus time.
Ouch. one of my flights VX rep over phone said they put me in Aisle and went to check and it was middle. Lucky I found out before the seat I vacated was taken so they were able to give it back to me. So glad my next VX metal plane will be officially under AS umbrella (April 27) so I already have Row 3 aisle booked.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
My likely last VX flight is today. Got my MCS exit row aisle and so far no one else in the row. Note that auto seat assignment appears to work front to back left to right so if you pick the aisle on the right side you have a little better chance of having more elbow room. No one in first class on this flight :S Hey VX, how about a comp upgrade for my last chance in the white seats??
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Seating disaster - booked on flight 1340 SFO-FLL, Gold75K

Ticket purchsed about bout a month ago, seat 4C, opted-in for premium select.

go to check-in for flight this morning and see that my flight has disappeared and only my return flight remains on the reservation. I’ve seen this happen before when upgraded to premium select.

Wait few hours and see the flight has returned to my reservation, so I attempt to check-in, and find out no premium select, no seat at all. “Seat to be assigned at airport” pops up.

Place phone call to Alaska Gold customer service - am told I was upgraded to premium select, but some time after that an Alaska Airline agent pulled me out of premium select (no legit reason given) and reassigned me to standard economy, without a seat. The supervisor speculated that an agent may have panicked when my outbound flight disappeared and had maybe re-added my reservation to the system. Ridiculous suggestion.

After 1.5 hrs on the phone, I was told there was nothing they could do and was offered a middle seat in row 4 or an aisle seat in 12.

I’m really tired of all these problems and the excuse that all these issues will go away in April. I don’t believe it for a second.

Between the merger and Horizon problems, I’ve spent way too much time on the phone with Alaska Airlines over the last year. I’m tired of it.

Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yeah floating without a seat after upgrading to MCS makes me nervous so I set a reminder right at T-24 to make sure I check on the Virgin America app and pick my seat. At that time I have no assigned seat. I then wait to check-in until the next day to make sure I have maximum ability to make adjustments if needed before checking in. I don't know if having an assigned seat would have helped in the situation above, maybe.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:25 pm

I flew VX 1315 MCO-LAX last night. No buy up option and all F seats filled when I checked in at the airport. I am a 75K and have been since the beginning and was assigned 3E, MCS middle seat. A friend of mine was on the same flight. He is MVP for the first time ever this year, assigned to 10B, MCS. During the flight I walked back to chat with him and someone else was in his seat. At LAX we met up. He told me that one of the FA's came and moved him to row 1 in F. He thought it was a great treat. Good for him but-----

WTH AS & VX? You UG an MVP over a 75K when the 75K is told the flight is full!!!!! This is VX BS that will only end when their culture dies at the end of April. I can't wait!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
first off, always go to virginamerica.com and check out the seat map. You should also login using the VX PNR. I also will try to price shop my flight and click on "Seat map" to see what MCS and First are open.

MCO-LAX buy up should be $199, btw. At least thats what I paid.

Club 49- no bennies on Virgin. Still their baggage fees, $25 per bag.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:45 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
first off, always go to virginamerica.com and check out the seat map. You should also login using the VX PNR. I also will try to price shop my flight and click on "Seat map" to see what MCS and First are open.

MCO-LAX buy up should be $199, btw. At least thats what I paid.

Club 49- no bennies on Virgin. Still their baggage fees, $25 per bag.
All was done on virginamerica.com and I checked the seat map there. F was full. 4E, 10B & 10C were open at 24 hours. I was using the VX PNR,the app & at the VX counter at MCO. Never touched the AS website at any time. I could not select any seat due to "errors on the site". When I called minutes after checking at the 24 hours opening (the website would not allow me to select 10C) I was told it was taken, so I took 3E.

My friend was moved for free. That is where VX .....

In my entire life I have never cheered at any business going away, until now
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@BOB W sounds like an unfortunate situation that the FA tried to resolve on their own. Unfortunately this has stepped on some pretty big toes.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
@BOB W sounds like an unfortunate situation that the FA tried to resolve on their own. Unfortunately this has stepped on some pretty big toes.
Unfortunately it would be pointless to escalate this. VX doesn't care and has no one to talk to. AS will say it is a VX problem. So what would be to point?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I flew VX 1315 MCO-LAX last night. No buy up option and all F seats filled when I checked in at the airport. I am a 75K and have been since the beginning and was assigned 3E, MCS middle seat. A friend of mine was on the same flight. He is MVP for the first time ever this year, assigned to 10B, MCS. During the flight I walked back to chat with him and someone else was in his seat. At LAX we met up. He told me that one of the FA's came and moved him to row 1 in F. He thought it was a great treat. Good for him but-----

WTH AS & VX? You UG an MVP over a 75K when the 75K is told the flight is full!!!!! This is VX BS that will only end when their culture dies at the end of April. I can't wait!
Same thing happened to my brother today (Gold, usually buys F fares), but for some reason didn't for his ex-LAS flight. Watched FAs pull a bunch of non-revs to F, leaving elites in the back.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

I presume FAs do not have visibility into AS status and certainly not a waitlist, so it is pretty random who they upgrade. Non-revs they can recognize easiest.
An FA on my last VX flight almost let a non-MCS pax move right into MCS exit row upon asking pre-departure. After saying he could after door closing, she fortunately sought guidance from the purser and was pointed out that would require an upgrade fee. He was offered the price and declined .
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I'm MVPG and purchase MCS (S fares) online at as.com.

From what I read, I should be able to buy up to F at T-24. When I call in at T-24 the agents have told me a variety of things but most commonly either:

1) I have to pay fare diff to get F
2) I have to wait till T-6 for F because I'm not a VX elite (literally was told that this month)

I have HUCA'd a bunch. The AS agents keep putting me on hold to liase with their VX folks. There is no way to call VX anymore.

I'm really disappointed. Please take my money AS!

I have another long VX flight on Friday - I really want to make it work! Any tips? It has never worked during OLCI for me and clearly has never worked by calling. I got to buy up one time at airport at the VX checkin.

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Feb 28, 2018 at 11:58 pm Reason: corrected fare bucket
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, nonrevs get to fly in F on VX. It is a perk for both VX and AS employees.

Have 4 more VX flights left before the April changeover... then this should resolve itself.

And one can probably still send VX a note, but as mentioned earlier, with these policies sunsetting soon, perhaps its moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.