Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
And my last 8 MCS auto-upgrades processed without a hitch. My only issue has been that I'm never offered a buy-up to F, even when F is wide open. When I've checked, it's been available at the gate.
You will not see an offer online or in the app to buy-up for VX F if you buy your ticket through AS. But if there are empty seats it is still doable via phone starting at your window, which depends on your elite status.

The AS agent who said "you are automatically added to the [VX] upgrade list" is wrong. I've had good experiences in the past being very specific on the phone and asking "Can you add me to the Virgin upgrade list for Main Cabin Select?" Others here have had good luck using Twitter.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
You will not see an offer online or in the app to buy-up for VX F if you buy your ticket through AS.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You will not see an offer online or in the app to buy-up for VX F if you buy your ticket through AS. But if there are empty seats it is still doable via phone starting at your window, which depends on your elite status.
Agree going from MCS>F is available by phone within the appropriate elite window. $99 LAX-SFO...umm thanks but no thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Selected the "opt in for MCS" on VX website after booking on AS website. Go to check in 24 hours before, and again my trip is deleted out of my trips. So I have to go find my confirmation code in an email to check in, freaked out for a few minutes thinking I didn't book a return. Outside of that issue, was upgraded to MCS and selected my seat with no issues.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
On my boarding pass it had my 75k status.... and group B.
I have always had Priority on my BP, and board with F pax - cross country flights (e.g. NYC - SFO).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by safari ari
Selected the "opt in for MCS" on VX website after booking on AS website. Go to check in 24 hours before, and again my trip is deleted out of my trips. So I have to go find my confirmation code in an email to check in, freaked out for a few minutes thinking I didn't book a return. Outside of that issue, was upgraded to MCS and selected my seat with no issues.
Yup, standard routine. I did actually see mention of this reservation deletion mentioned in Alaska's online help info casually....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
So I'm assuming food-on-demand will go away post-4/24?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I am flying MCO – LAX on Sunday. If the main cabin select upgrade clears, what is the next step to see if the first class upgrade is available? Also, it appears the cost fluctuates depending on the route. What, if anyone knows, can I expect the fee for the upgrade to be?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BOB W
I am flying MCO – LAX on Sunday. If the main cabin select upgrade clears, what is the next step to see if the first class upgrade is available? Also, it appears the cost fluctuates depending on the route. What, if anyone knows, can I expect the fee for the upgrade to be?
It should be $240 for transcon as long as MCS upgrade clears first. otherwise it will be $399, You have to call to buy up. My understanding its last seat available so if its for sale as revenue should be upgradable. though cant remember if it still need to wait until 6 hours before departure to purchase.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
It should be $240 for transcon as long as MCS upgrade clears first. otherwise it will be $399, You have to call to buy up. My understanding its last seat available so if its for sale as revenue should be upgradable. though cant remember if it still need to wait until 6 hours before departure to purchase.
Agree- give AS or VX a call for this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
though cant remember if it still need to wait until 6 hours before departure to purchase.
75k/Golds can do the buy-up to F starting at 24 hrs before departure. I think MVPs should be able to do it at 12 hrs before departure if they're honoring the old Elevate structure. Then open to all starting at 6 hrs.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:23 pm

75k/Golds can do the buy-up to F starting at 24 hrs before departure. I think MVPs should be able to do it at 12 hrs before departure if they're honoring the old Elevate structure. Then open to all starting at 6 hrs.
MVP is indeed T-12.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:24 pm

During OLCI as well on VX website.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Got moved from exit row aisle to 3E. I called and no aisle or window seats available so I will take 3E. No F buy ups available at thus time.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I cleared into 10F at the gate at BWI tonight with an open middle seat next to me. I requested the upgrade on-line on the return flight only just over 24 hours out, but the gate agent said my name was not on the list. Even called Alaska last night, when Expert Flyer showed 5 open seats between rows 3 and 10, to try and get cleared when it didn't automatically happen. Agent had to check with her supervisor and reported back to me that all those seats were occupied. I gave up at that point as I've always found EF reliable on available seats when I've moved up to MCS. I didn't request the upgrade on the entire itinerary as there were only middle seats on my first segment SFO-BWI and I don't want MCS bad enough to sit in one of those. Also, not much in terms of perks on a morning flight and I've grown tired of the turkey and sliced egg breakfast sandwich already and just bring something of my own now.

I think the Alaska agents still don't have a good handle on things, and there appears to be a glitch of some sort if you request an upgrade only on the return portion of an itinerary on-line that's not processing the request. I'll be glad when this whole MCS system is done with and the Alaska mainline upgrade system kicks in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.