Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Love the boarding process SFO-AUS tonight. Group A and half the plane boards. I'm in group B as a 75k and by the time I board the overhead is 100% full. #hatevx
That's a Virgin aircraft? I've had 11 flights with them already this year, all in economy, and with every single one I've boarded either with first class or right behind first class, based on how they make the boarding announcement for MVPG 75K. They must be calling group A or B after I'm on board.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Love the boarding process SFO-AUS tonight. Group A and half the plane boards. I'm in group B as a 75k and by the time I board the overhead is 100% full. #hatevx
I think you might have missed the call for elite members (and maybe they didn't say it), but it's right after 1st class.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DrAlex
it's right after 1st class.
Or sometimes with F if the loads are light.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've noticed that my Alaska # doesn't carry over to VX quite a bit, so I have to go add it in. drewcwsj, I'd seriously think that your 75K # isn't in there. We haven't been given Group B boarding in at least 4 or 5 months, I believe. (September? October?)
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
On my boarding pass it had my 75k status.... and group B.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Hmm... I am not sure how boarding works at a VX hub but my experience at SEA has been that first class and all elites are called up at once in first group and on my flights, that amounts to about 4 people
Are they calling Group A as Elevate Gold then Group B as Silver and the Alaska MVPs?? You should at least be with the Elevate Golds!

Well if it says Group B on your BP, go on in Group A and if they give trouble point out that Elevate no longer exists, you are top dog
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Nothing to complain about. Policy is that elite and purchase MCS upgrades at 24 and 12 hours are not last-seat-availability. If seats are not sold prior to departure, upgrades are cleared at boarding (approximately).
I'm getting this right now too unfortunately. Flight in 11 hours. 4 MCS available, 2 FC available. Opted in, but AS/VX says they can't process the upgrade.

was told that only a select number of MVP MCS upgrades are allowed and I didn't get one. He said the 4 remaining will stay as paid upgrades should anyone want them. If not, try again at the gate.

seems a bit ridiculous.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I'm getting this right now too unfortunately. Flight in 11 hours. 4 MCS available, 2 FC available. Opted in, but AS/VX says they can't process the upgrade.

was told that only a select number of MVP MCS upgrades are allowed and I didn't get one. He said the 4 remaining will stay as paid upgrades should anyone want them. If not, try again at the gate.

seems a bit ridiculous.
It is ridiculous now that elevate is gone. I'll just avoid VX until after April.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I had all of row 3 to myself last night BWI-SFO, and the seating chart only showed one passenger back in row 10. There was a third MCS passenger but he upgraded to F once on board (gate agent came on board and processed it). I've had two other flights this year with three seats to myself. I decided not to even get on the list for one trip when the return flight showed only middle seats open days out.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Everything worked out for us at the gate...but it was kind of a mess. The agent actually made us wait until group a finished boarding just in case any last minute customer ran up to the gate to upgrade.

nobody came and he upgraded the 2 of us ( both mvp ) into an open mcs row.

the seats and service on flight were great. Even the gate agent that eventually helped was really nice....but it's pretty clear that virgin and alaska are making this much harder than it needs to be right now.

anyways, don't want to sound ungrateful because it was processed and made for an enjoyable flight.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Still confused

So, I'm flying VX for about the fourth time this Sunday (though I haven't been on a VX flight since November), and as an Alaska MVP Gold member, I must confess that the VX advanced upgrade thing is still a mystery to me. I have tried in futile attempts to somehow use the crummy virgin website to get on this mystery upgrade list. My virgin account does not even show any of my future flights. And, when I manually put in the VX number to look at my flight, there are no options available for any upgrade list (and I have tried this numerous times in the past for my previous VX flights), so I have no idea what people are talking about regarding this online thingy. Also in the past, I've tried calling the virgin number and calling the Alaska Gold line, etc (where the phone agents promise me I'm on a upgrade list) -- though it must be a phantom list, because I'm never on the upgrade list when I get to the gate connecting in Seattle. One time a VX gate agent felt sorry for me and gave me First Class last October though she technically was not supposed to. Another time, a VX gate agent hand-wrote my name on a blank boarding pass for a main cabin select seat, and that was my Boarding Pass! Hand Written!

So, for this Sunday, since the virgin website is no worky for me, I just got off the phone with an Alaska agent on the gold line that assured me that I am automatically placed on the upgrade list for my Sunday flight (though I don't think she could see anything... rather, I think it's something she has been told to tell gold customers), but I've heard that before.

I apologize in advance if there is some post from 8 weeks ago in this thread that may answer my question, but because this whole situation seems fluid, and I have not flown a Virgin flight since last November, I'm wondering if communication behind the scenes has changed. It's not the end of the world if I don't get upgraded, but is the gold phone agent correct?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
So, I'm flying VX for about the fourth time this Sunday (though I haven't been on a VX flight since November), and as an Alaska MVP Gold member, I must confess that the VX advanced upgrade thing is still a mystery to me. I have tried in futile attempts to somehow use the crummy virgin website to get on this mystery upgrade list. My virgin account does not even show any of my future flights. And, when I manually put in the VX number to look at my flight, there are no options available for any upgrade list (and I have tried this numerous times in the past for my previous VX flights), so I have no idea what people are talking about regarding this online thingy. Also in the past, I've tried calling the virgin number and calling the Alaska Gold line, etc (where the phone agents promise me I'm on a upgrade list) -- though it must be a phantom list, because I'm never on the upgrade list when I get to the gate connecting in Seattle. One time a VX gate agent felt sorry for me and gave me First Class last October though she technically was not supposed to. Another time, a VX gate agent hand-wrote my name on a blank boarding pass for a main cabin select seat, and that was my Boarding Pass! Hand Written!

So, for this Sunday, since the virgin website is no worky for me, I just got off the phone with an Alaska agent on the gold line that assured me that I am automatically placed on the upgrade list for my Sunday flight (though I don't think she could see anything... rather, I think it's something she has been told to tell gold customers), but I've heard that before.

I apologize in advance if there is some post from 8 weeks ago in this thread that may answer my question, but because this whole situation seems fluid, and I have not flown a Virgin flight since last November, I'm wondering if communication behind the scenes has changed. It's not the end of the world if I don't get upgraded, but is the gold phone agent correct?
My experiences have been much of the same. The AS Gold agents cannot see if you are on the upgrade list (one confessed this to me last week after 30 min on hold) yet they are telling people they are. RE: your trying to opt in on the virgin site, I find the option will not display if you have to enter your confirmation # manually. The "phantom" opt-in option will only display if your booking auto-syncs to your old VX elevate number and login. Very frustrating and IMHO another example of how AS does not care about how they are screwing over VX elites.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
On my boarding pass it had my 75k status.... and group B.
I've had that happen too. I recommend ignoring the group letter and board right after First as MVPG.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Very frustrating and IMHO another example of how AS does not care about how they are screwing over VX elites.
AS elites have a similar feeling when it comes to flying on VX it seems. However this all goes away in a few months. So not really worth AS to spend limited resources for a fix for just over 2 months.

My experience mirrors others with a difficult time opting into MCS and such. However I have had agents offer a buyup to F when processing the MCS upgrade (I inquired, but was a bit steep for the flight I had).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
this all goes away in a few months. So not really worth AS to spend limited resources for a fix for just over 2 months.
This.

And my last 8 MCS auto-upgrades processed without a hitch. My only issue has been that I'm never offered a buy-up to F, even when F is wide open. When I've checked, it's been available at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.