Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone
Looking at future flights, MCS isn't for sale on Airbus routes I checked from April 25, when VX flight numbers are sunsetted.
Yeah, I kind of wonder what happens to those seats then...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
I wonder if they get converted to Premium Class, at least as far as the booking is concerned. Could explain the hiccups with Row 6 & Exit Rows recently perhaps if something was being done on the back end.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Well the current process sure seems broken for me. Have a trip coming with VX on the way out and AS on the way back. Not only did selecting the MCS upgrade option on the VX site seem to do nothing (at T-24 no change), the T-72 AS upgrades did not fire either. I have sorted it all out after several calls, but clearly this is not working as they say. Not sure why the AS ones didn't work since on 1 segment I am the only one even in the first cabin (early Sunday morning flight).

On a related note, I tried to have them figure out the cost to buy up to first on the VX segments and so much more confusion ensued, I just gave up. I will check in at T-6 I guess and see if I get an offer to buy up.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:33 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
On the flights I looked at, they are Premium Class.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by dayone
On the flights I looked at, they are Premium Class.
Do they revert back to just snack boxes? Or will catering be the same as VX MCS with free selection from the menu?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by G2244
Well the current process sure seems broken for me. Have a trip coming with VX on the way out and AS on the way back. Not only did selecting the MCS upgrade option on the VX site seem to do nothing (at T-24 no change), the T-72 AS upgrades did not fire either. I have sorted it all out after several calls, but clearly this is not working as they say. Not sure why the AS ones didn't work since on 1 segment I am the only one even in the first cabin (early Sunday morning flight).

On a related note, I tried to have them figure out the cost to buy up to first on the VX segments and so much more confusion ensued, I just gave up. I will check in at T-6 I guess and see if I get an offer to buy up.
My experience over last weekend flying LAX-PHL-LAX x 2 was that I had to opt in for the upgrade by managing booking. At T-24 I checked in and was allowed to select a MCS seat using the "select seat" button. I am MVPG75. Do MVPG have to wait until a different window? The scariest part is the warning it gives about possibly being handed a middle seat. Didn't run into that problem though since I was able to select my own at check in.

Same experience as you for AS upgrade to F. JFK-SEA this weekend, upgrade space available, upgrade wait listed, did not process and finally called at T-96 and had them manually process.

FC upgrade from my VX MCS upgraded seat PHL-LAX was $240 if I remember correctly. The AS agent passed me off to VX to handle. It only took a few minutes to figure it out, but it was only 2am Pacific Time. I passed as that seemed steep and MCS bulkhead suited me just fine. This is incongruous with what I experienced earlier in the year. As I checked in at T-24 the cost was only $99 SFO-JFK from main cabin to first. Yes, I jumped on that.

The trouble with FC upgrades on VX is that if it isn't available at T-24, but is available later, you can't "check in" again to grab it unless you have an agent "un-check you in". What a pain.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:50 am

If after April 25th MCS is now PC, I wonder if that means FC upgrades will follow Alaska's standards, and you will have the ability to get VX F seats free. Will be interesting to see the catering situation as well for both F and Y.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by clarrkkent
Do MVPG have to wait until a different window?

The trouble with FC upgrades on VX is that if it isn't available at T-24, but is available later, you can't "check in" again to grab it unless you have an agent "un-check you in". What a pain.
Same window, so if you get opted in at T-24 either automatically or via an agent, its almost like WN scramble to check in quickly and select the best available seat, since they are not assigned at upgrade. MVP is at T-12.

Major sticking point, where seats will be left but if you check in to get your best seat at T-24, and seats in F are still available there is no real way to upgrade once you are checked in. Plus paying a buy-up fee from MCS and having to deal with an agent its almost not worth it, unless it is a night flight TCON. Personally, I like the MCS seats better for the cost, since I can order anything on the screen and do not have to constantly interact with the FA to get something.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by G2244

I had a similar experience, and here's my advice.
Opt in on the website, and be aware that it does absolutely nothing.
Get to the airport. Go to the ticket counter and try to get them to push you to MCS. At some stations, they will, at some stations, they won't.
Go to the gate. Get them to push you to MCS.
ONLY AFTER they have done that, inquire about a first class upgrade. With VX not doing any freebies, they usually have lots of F space available. You can even upgrade to first using their IFE system (RED) onboard! But just have the gate agent do it.
The prices are published on the VX website, so I don't know why you called in to ask. Just check them out over there. Mid-cons like SEA-DAL are $110; in my experience, it was well worth my hundred bucks.

I have no idea why ClarkKent had the experience he did. JFK-SFO should under no circumstances ever have been $99. But hey, take what you can get.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:23 am

I'll echo the recent experiences upgrading to MCS. I selected the upgrade button online and accepted the middle seat warning. But the upgrade never cleared. I checked in at roughly T-24 and wasn't able to select MCS, which makes sense since I'm only MVP. After checking in I was unable to change seats online. I went to the counter at around T-10 and asked if I was on the list for MCS and the agent said she would add me, but I didn't clear while I was standing there. I eventually cleared at the gate. I got the exit row aisle, all the MCS middle seats went out empty.

The experience was nice. Seat wasn't anything special but plenty of legroom and the entertainment system was great. I ordered some snacks and drinks and the FAs brought them promptly. Definitely worth the hassle. Side note, crazy how VX invested a bunch of money in awesome IFE but their mobile app is awful. The touch screens at the check-in counter were running some ancient software, too.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
I'll echo the recent experiences upgrading to MCS. I selected the upgrade button online and accepted the middle seat warning. But the upgrade never cleared. I checked in at roughly T-24 and wasn't able to select MCS, which makes sense since I'm only MVP. After checking in I was unable to change seats online. I went to the counter at around T-10 and asked if I was on the list for MCS and the agent said she would add me, but I didn't clear while I was standing there. I eventually cleared at the gate. I got the exit row aisle, all the MCS middle seats went out empty.

The experience was nice. Seat wasn't anything special but plenty of legroom and the entertainment system was great. I ordered some snacks and drinks and the FAs brought them promptly. Definitely worth the hassle. Side note, crazy how VX invested a bunch of money in awesome IFE but their mobile app is awful. The touch screens at the check-in counter were running some ancient software, too.
VX's red kept failing for me. FA rebooted several times, but it still had seizures.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I've had no problems since the opt in feature on vx.com when booking VX segments through VX. I check-in at 24 hours and am able to select a MCS seat or upgrade to first ($80 on my 2.5 hour flight). Much better than when I had to call in and had issues with agents knowing what to do.

I like the ability to pay for an upgrade from MCS or stay in MCS.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I just got upgraded automatically as well when I had previously opted in on the website.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
First time got waitlisted for MCS after always clearing at T-24 as MP75
and flight empty
Every agent at AS told a different story and was actually told that row 4 on a320
was upgrade!
The whole system is broken and you can tell no one cares
AS agents dont seem to know much about VX product
1 they said record need to be split so partner traveling as MVP could upgrade
2 then told (different agent) row 4 was upgrade
3 Then different agent said there is no row 3 or 10 on their seat map
4 Supervisors on AS dont know much more
Messy
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
First time got waitlisted for MCS after always clearing at T-24 as MP75
and flight empty
Every agent at AS told a different story and was actually told that row 4 on a320
was upgrade!
The whole system is broken and you can tell no one cares
AS agents dont seem to know much about VX product
1 they said record need to be split so partner traveling as MVP could upgrade
2 then told (different agent) row 4 was upgrade
3 Then different agent said there is no row 3 or 10 on their seat map
4 Supervisors on AS dont know much more
Messy
I've had this happen on numerous occasions. Outside of explaining VX MCS to the AS agents, which I always do for their future benefit. You either have to push the AS agents to talk to VX or find an AS agent who has access to VX system. Or call again and hopefully get a person in the Seattle call center, I have always found them to be the best and more willing to help. But yes, it is annoying that they think preferred seats are the upgrade seats and don't even know about VX product this long after the purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.