Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Third time in the last two months, my VX flight booked through AS fell off my AS trips list because I got upgraded to MCS. I thought this would have been fixed by now. The reservation no longer shows up in my AS mobile app. It does show up on the Website but says that I need to call customer service because of changes in flight. So, I called CSR and they said that the reason why this happened is because the flight was canceled. I was still able to check in from VX and even get a boarding pass. I eventually canceled the flight but monitored it on flightstats and Google and the flights did take off on time. Anyone else experienced something like this?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jediwho
Third time in the last two months, my VX flight booked through AS fell off my AS trips list because I got upgraded to MCS.
This has happened to me on numerous occasions. You can use the VX app to see the reservation still though. I, as well, thought this would be fixed now that you can book/view MCS seats on the AS app/website. I have a flight today in MCS on VX and it still shows on my AS app, so may be some glitches still in the upgrade process.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by safari ari
This has happened to me on numerous occasions. You can use the VX app to see the reservation still though. I, as well, thought this would be fixed now that you can book/view MCS seats on the AS app/website. I have a flight today in MCS on VX and it still shows on my AS app, so may be some glitches still in the upgrade process.
And I am assuming this has not created any problems in getting credit/miles for the flights?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
And I am assuming this has not created any problems in getting credit/miles for the flights?
I have never had problems getting credit. (And it always counts toward MM flyer). Only issue is sometimes it takes the full 2 weeks that some partners take to credit, there are other threads that go over this, but in terms of credit you should have no problems.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Baze
I have some VX flights coming up, first one this coming Monday. I tweeted VX to get on the MCS list. They replied back that there is now a link to do the request in the reservation on the VX site. Booked as AS flights on AS ticket stock. Went to the VX site and looked up the reservation using the VX confirmation number. Had already selected my seats using the hyperlink from the AS site earlier. Sure enough, there was a link to request to be put on the MCS upgrade list. I clicked on it and the page refreshed and the link went away. Is there any way to tell if the link actually did anything and I am on the list? Don't see anything in the reservation saying MCS wailtlisted.
Can we get put on MCS upgrade list yet online? Or still need to call in to VX?

Answered my own question
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Today I flew from Denver to Portland via San Francisco with DEN-SFO via VX. This reservation was booked a couple months ago, intentionally routing via SFO so I could check out VX's premium economy product. About one month ago I (An MVPG 75K) requested an upgrade to Main Cabin Select seats. This had to be done through an Alaska agent who contacted Virgin and supposedly got it done. On the surface it seemed that everything went smoothly, so off I went looking forward to my MCS seat. As it turns out I was assigned a VX Preferred seat - the only benefit being that it was in the forward part of the cabin but with no extra leg room.

When I checked in at DEN, the VX agent informed me that complimentary upgrades to MCS were not available until after the merger. Hardly worth arguing over so I just took my seat. However, given the ongoing confusion and so-so seating comfort onboard the A320, this will be the last time I fly Virgin unless there's no other alternative.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Today I flew from Denver to Portland via San Francisco with DEN-SFO via VX. This reservation was booked a couple months ago, intentionally routing via SFO so I could check out VX's premium economy product. About one month ago I (An MVPG 75K) requested an upgrade to Main Cabin Select seats. This had to be done through an Alaska agent who contacted Virgin and supposedly got it done. On the surface it seemed that everything went smoothly, so off I went looking forward to my MCS seat. As it turns out I was assigned a VX Preferred seat - the only benefit being that it was in the forward part of the cabin but with no extra leg room.

When I checked in at DEN, the VX agent informed me that complimentary upgrades to MCS were not available until after the merger. Hardly worth arguing over so I just took my seat. However, given the ongoing confusion and so-so seating comfort onboard the A320, this will be the last time I fly Virgin unless there's no other alternative.
I’d say the VX agent at DEN was ill-informed or ill-trained ... as I mentioned a couple times upthread, using live chat on the VX website, I’ve never had a problem being assigned a Preferred seat (and being added to the MCS waitlist) at time of booking, and I’ve similarly been able to confirm MCS at T-24
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:53 pm

I've been able to ask for a MCS seat at the DEN desk, may have just been an employee who didn't want to or didn't know.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:02 am

AS-purchased VX flight today. Was added to MCS list by twitter a while ago and upgrade went through, but couldn't check in to flight yesterday. 30+ min on the phone yesterday to be able to get a seat assignment and check in. They said my birth date somehow got detached from the reservation. There appears to still be some miscommunication between systems.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Oddly, on my last flight I had two reservations showing after MCS clearing and could not check-in. I was also asked to provide my birthday which I thought was strange. Something is screwy if it is popping out birthday on clearing MCS.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
AS-purchased VX flight today. Was added to MCS list by twitter a while ago and upgrade went through, but couldn't check in to flight yesterday. 30+ min on the phone yesterday to be able to get a seat assignment and check in. They said my birth date somehow got detached from the reservation. There appears to still be some miscommunication between systems.
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Oddly, on my last flight I had two reservations showing after MCS clearing and could not check-in. I was also asked to provide my birthday which I thought was strange. Something is screwy if it is popping out birthday on clearing MCS.
If you have a profile with VX (Elevate account) that is tied to AS you will normally be able to see VX flights that you booked through AS. If the flights are not showing up that's an indication that the DOB did not transfer. Another indicator that I've found is if you pull up the reservation through the VX website in order to pick your seats and it tells you that you can't because you have to wait til check in. This is not the case, and it's the missing DOB that is not allowing access to the seat map. When you call VX if you ask them for a seat they may also tell you that you have to wait til check-in because they are not looking at the DOB issue so I recommend calling and just asking to see if your DOB transferred over. Once they fix that, you should be able to go online and pick your seat.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Having made my flights last week on Virgin, I can say that the whole thing is a complete mess.
Their APP wouldn't launch on my phone, after I tried to use it to check in. Crashed on every launch.
[MOBILE] Check in could not be completed, either by AS or VX, regardless of which was operating when and with whom and wherefore.

Also, in spite of adding myself to the MCS upgrade list on the website and it obviously working correctly, I was never given an MCS upgrade, even though the seats were wide open.

AT LEAST the gate agents in both SEA and DAL knew what they were doing, and that I was MVP-eligible (I refuse to use the word "entitled" when dealing with ANY customer service issue...) for a MCS upgrade.
In SEA, I was told that they'd call me up once boarding had started, to let me know if I could get the upgrade. It should have just been pushed- there were basically NO passengers in MCS.
In DAL, it was done at the check-in counter, but clearly the guy had no expectation of it happening automagically.

But whatever. I had to ask. Not the end of the world. It's just supposed to be more streamlined than that.
And in the end, I took advantage of the lower price from MCS--First paid upgrades, and had REALLY nice flights.

But yes, in summary, this whole process completely sucks.
The gate agents in SEA were clearly a bit stressed by the situation, and I (having lived through the UA/CO merger, if you could even call it completed yet) sympathized with them out loud. Trying to deal with two IT platforms is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

Last edited by Legend717; Dec 1, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: Added MOBILE to check in statement; I had to check in with an agent.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, United Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BarryL
Can we get put on MCS upgrade list yet online? Or still need to call in to VX?

Answered my own question
I flew on Thanksgiving Day from DEN-SFO, reservation made in September. The day prior to the flight, I noticed the link on the VX website to get added to the MCS upgrade list. I selected it, and after the 24 hour mark I was upgraded to MCS and was able to select a MCS seat, even prior to check-in.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just booked IAD-LAX for next Wed 13 Dec on AS website; went to VX website to make sure my KTN was in their system (no surprise, it wasn’t); then went to VX live chat to get added to MCS upgrade waitlist ... I’ve done this 4x in the past few months, but this was the first VX chat agent who had actually read and understood the subject line (“AS MVPG MCS UG waitlist request” followed by flight number and date and PNR) when I logged in; before I was halfway thru typing out the info again in response to her “good afternoon, thank you for contacting VX, my name is Diamond, how can I help you today?”, she had typed “It’s done, you’re on the upgrade list!”

sure hope she’s the one who picks up my chat request when the UG window opens on Tues!

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 12, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Looking at future flights, MCS isn't for sale on Airbus routes I checked from April 25, when VX flight numbers are sunsetted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.