Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
yes to check-in with AS; almost certainly NO to anything happening automagically with VX

I haven't actually done this, but I highly doubt that VX will be able to do anything for you until T-24 for the VX flight
You have to deal with VX separately and directly if you want to sit in MCS. You can have them put you on the waitlist at any time, but it won't clear until 24 hrs before the VX flight, regardless of whatever upline flights are on the same ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The whole issue with seat assignments being a "request" rather than an actual "assignment" is so annoying, especially on long mileage runs like this.
Standard airline industry response. Of course with no consideration to something called "customer satisfaction". The industry has already stated in numerous ways that this is a far lower priority today than it was relative to the revenue.

So far no trouble with me on having seat assignments stick and I have not had auto-upgrade assign me a seat. I think I have always beaten it at T-24 to get my own first. Maybe there is a delay between the upgrade and seat assignment. It seemed that way to me.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
as I’ve mentioned a few times upthread, every time I’ve been inside T-24, live chat has worked to clear me from the list in less than 5 min ... in two cases the agent actually asked which MCS seat I wanted
Did I miss something here? Maybe it's my 75K status, but for me upgrading into MCS from a normal coach seat (booked as part of an Alaska R fare) was as simple as calling Virgin America. The call was transferred to Alaska but the AS agent contacted Virgin and handled things for me just fine.

I'm flying in late November.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
After a bit of trouble in doing so as it took multiple calls and chats, was told I was on the waitlist. Was automatically upgraded for two of the four flights. But the last two I wasn't when it was within 24 hours, so chatted with VX. They said I wasn't actually on the list for those two flights, they did that and was upgraded instantly. Then went through my other reservation to add me to the list as they had missed some of the flights for the other agent(s) missed.

My only complaint is that once you are checked in, you are stuck in the seat you selected. There isn't a way to change it, unfortunate for me as people seem to love choosing the empty middle seat next to me even though there are plenty of other non-middle options available. So I tend to move my seat assignments around as better options open up. Easiest solution is to just wait until the last moment to actually check-in.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
I was surprised to be able to select MCS right after booking (but not during) with no fees or call-ins necessary. 75K, booked in AS stock; itinerary was LGA-DAL-SFO-JFK with the first leg on OO and all others on VX. VX site says MC, not MCS, but we're in row 4 on both VX legs.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kufat
I was surprised to be able to select MCS right after booking (but not during) with no fees or call-ins necessary. 75K, booked in AS stock; itinerary was LGA-DAL-SFO-JFK with the first leg on OO and all others on VX. VX site says MC, not MCS, but we're in row 4 on both VX legs.
Unless you are on A321, row 4 is Main Cabin. Row 3 and 10 are MCS on the A320s.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Unless you are on A321, row 4 is Main Cabin. Row 3 and 10 are MCS on the A320s.
Thanks; that explains it. Thought it was 3-5 on all craft.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
I was able to opt in for upgrade using VX website without calling.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SESTAR
I was able to opt in for upgrade using VX website without calling.
Really? What option did you click on? When I enter my AS-booked itinerary (using either AS or VX confirmation code), the Add Extras button is grayed out and I don't see anywhere else to do that.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
You have to deal with VX separately and directly if you want to sit in MCS. You can have them put you on the waitlist at any time, but it won't clear until 24 hrs before the VX flight, regardless of whatever upline flights are on the same ticket.

Managing my flights has gotten so mind numbingly crazy - when an automated process is implemented (sooner than later please AS!!!!), it will be a joyous event!

I'm on a mixed VX / AS (in that order) itinerary. Wondering the effects of getting MCS at the 24 hour window and it's effects on my already upgraded seats on the connecting flight.

The chat feature isn't bad and I've gotten what I needed from that process - just very cumbersome to identify all travel information.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:55 am

They set it up now so that from the AS web site you can click on the mention of VX preferred seating and it will open your seat map on the VX site.

Can't they at least make a link to say "request MCS waitlist" and have it do an http request to the VX website to make that call to whatever process does that?

I would have to presume that isn't built into their site anywhere and they have to create that function but I wish they would for the remaining months we have to suffer the inconvenience.

Then again, that is just more people missing out on MCS and more empty seats next to me for now
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AS GOLD
when I pulled up my reservation on VX, I saw a message right under the "travel Assistance Information/Request". It says something about opt in for MCS. I wish I had screenshot it.

Not sure why I had a message for opt in. I booked my trip on AS with a non status companion. I twitted VX to add me to the upgrade list. The next day, my trip disappeared from "My trip". According to AS, my reservation is still intact. The lady told me somehow VX split my reservation from my companion. We have different confirmation codes now. So, I used the new code at VX and I saw the link about opt in.

The only think I can think of is A) did I opt in for something different than I thought? B) it works if the reservation was made from VX? C) I really have no idea. lol
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Sounds like you have a native VX reservation now which would have advanced options like buy up.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Sounds like you have a native VX reservation now which would have advanced options like buy up.
I wish I had seen that option to opt-in on the website, it would have been so much easier. I had to have a friend call the silver elite line who processed some upgrades for me. chat/twitter/airport agents were mostly a miss. I did notice the option to pay for F/MCS seat during check in. I have no plans on booking mixed metal reservations. I've been through enough mergers to know that is a mistake.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wish I had seen that option to opt-in on the website, it would have been so much easier. I had to have a friend call the silver elite line who processed some upgrades for me. chat/twitter/airport agents were mostly a miss. I did notice the option to pay for F/MCS seat during check in. I have no plans on booking mixed metal reservations. I've been through enough mergers to know that is a mistake.
I agree....mixed metal or even all VX metal, after my most recent VX mileage run, I'm staying off VX metal until they get lumped into AS officially next April, it's just not worth the hassle and it made a tough mileage run more stressful than it needed to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.