Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
It's a bit of a pain but once you have the routine down, it is not too bad:

- On booking, twitter DM VX to get on the list. Should get a response in 10-15 mins. (I too never really used Twitter until having to do this)
- At T-24 (if Gold) you should be cleared, go to VX web site and pick your seat through Manage function.
- While at VX web site, check in, print BP if desired.
I should have light flight to FLL today and I'm in row 4 at least empty middle but I need to work and MCS will probably recline. I tweeted to see if I can get upgraded for this evening's return since it's pretty empty too but at least I have row 9
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LoachDriver
I played telephone tag today trying to get T-24 MCS upgrades for a MR (I'm AS Gold) and during that process I was given a VX internal/non-published number to bypass the whole "Call AS, get transferred to VX CSR" process. I tested and it indeed is answered by VX CSR.

Maybe this number would be helpful to others?

I hesitate to post the number - unless one of you with more knowledge and experience suggests its ok. Otherwise, I'm happy to share with a PM/email.
I don't see a problem in posting that (in the Wiki above, even). It would be the equivalent of the DM to Twitter team that is a publicly available channel.
If anybody gets a "who are you? how did you get this number? you shouldn't be calling this number...", then they can take it down
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*67 then the toll free # for VX or call from a phone not connected to your AS profile. Its routing to AS based off elite status.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The problem with not being upgraded (automatically) to MCS if you are already checked-in is that even if you wait and don't check-in at T-24, if you have connections that are more than 24 hours away, VX will check you in for the connecting flights thus keeping you from being upgraded without having to do the whole call/twitter/chat song and dance to get "unchecked in". Literally the only way that VX agents were able to process a MCS upgrade within the upgrade window for a flight that I was already checked-in for was to "uncheck" me in and THEN assign the seats. It's worse for MVPs/Silvers since the system won't run the upgrade til T-12. The only reason I sat in MCS on 4 out 6 flights during my VX mileage run this past weekend is because I spent at least 3-4 hours on VX chat/phone/twitter trying to get everything sorta out.
My wife and I have another MR coming up next week but during our last one we had to separate our reservations in order to get upgraded for MCS according to the VX agent. We were both MVP then, but I'm Gold now while she still is an MVP. Heres another data point.....I just flew with a friend last week on VX on the same PNR and we were already on the wait list for an upgrade. Do I need to call and separate our reservations or will my wife clear at T-24 as my companion with my status? Or do I wait till T-12 to see if we cleared? So annoying. Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
*67 then the toll free # for VX or call from a phone not connected to your AS profile. Its routing to AS based off elite status.
I think the AS agents aren't too excited about being given all the VX related calls, especially when they just have to transfer you anyway...one of the AS agents gave me the direct # to VX so I entered it in my phone contacts...very helpful to have on these long mileage runs. By the way, today's the first day of your 4 day trip, correct? Good luck....I don't know how you do it....I've never been so happy to land at PDX last Sunday afternoon after two cross country trips in a row.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I had myself added to the upgrade list to MCS and then had my check in reversed. I assume I just wait now? flight isn't for another 6-7 hours. 7 MCS seats available.

I think the AS agents aren't too excited about being given all the VX related calls, especially when they just have to transfer you anyway...one of the AS agents gave me the direct # to VX so I entered it in my phone contacts...very helpful to have on these long mileage runs. By the way, today's the first day of your 4 day trip, correct? Good luck....I don't know how you do it....I've never been so happy to land at PDX last Sunday afternoon after two cross country trips in a row.
I've been flying every day since Thursday when i flew BOS-PDX. Though the last 2 nights I've been on the ground. I was supposed to have 2 nights in PDX between run 1 and runs 2 & 3 but had to move PDX-SFO a day earlier and spent the day yesterday in San Francisco. Today is SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK (well technically LAX-JFK is red-eye)

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well I had myself added to the upgrade list to MCS and then had my check in reversed. I assume I just wait now? flight isn't for another 6-7 hours. 7 MCS seats available.
as I’ve mentioned a few times upthread, every time I’ve been inside T-24, live chat has worked to clear me from the list in less than 5 min ... in two cases the agent actually asked which MCS seat I wanted
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
as I’ve mentioned a few times upthread, every time I’ve been inside T-24, live chat has worked to clear me from the list in less than 5 min ... in two cases the agent actually asked which MCS seat I wanted
They weren't able to help says unsuccessful which is weird because its still W=6
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Mixed Itinerary AS-VX

I have a trip coming up which starts with AS to SFO and then connects to VX onward. I assume that I check in with AS. Will it automatically upgrade me to MCS on VX if that is available?

When do I call in to VX, at T-24 when my check in window opens, or at T-24 for the connecting VX flight? Any other hints to make this work?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by seacarl
I have a trip coming up which starts with AS to SFO and then connects to VX onward. I assume that I check in with AS. Will it automatically upgrade me to MCS on VX if that is available?
yes to check-in with AS; almost certainly NO to anything happening automagically with VX

Originally Posted by seacarl
When do I call in to VX, at T-24 when my check in window opens, or at T-24 for the connecting VX flight? Any other hints to make this work?
I haven't actually done this, but I highly doubt that VX will be able to do anything for you until T-24 for the VX flight
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They weren't able to help says unsuccessful which is weird because its still W=6
Are you checked in yet? If so, they have to manually uncheck you in before the upgrade can be processed inside your window...VX chat is the best way to do this but it can still turn into a time consuming process babysitting each and every segment.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you checked in yet? If so, they have to manually uncheck you in before the upgrade can be processed inside your window...VX chat is the best way to do this but it can still turn into a time consuming process babysitting each and every segment.
Yea I made it into MCS chat wasn't very helpful. Online let me select the seats but they don't stick. This is for all my downline legs too. Lost my seat assignment too and it dumped me in a random middle. They gave me back 9C since it remained blocked all that was left was middles. Someone no showed so was given their aisle seat. I'll need to chat to make sure my other legs didn't lose seat assignment
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea I made it into MCS chat wasn't very helpful. Online let me select the seats but they don't stick. This is for all my downline legs too. Lost my seat assignment too and it dumped me in a random middle. They gave me back 9C since it remained blocked all that was left was middles. Someone no showed so was given their aisle seat. I'll need to chat to make sure my other legs didn't lose seat assignment
The whole issue with seat assignments being a "request" rather than an actual "assignment" is so annoying, especially on long mileage runs like this. Were you on the 3:30pm last Sunday from SFO-PDX? If so, I was the guy in 3D...last flight of my VX mileage run. Good luck on the rest of your flights!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole issue with seat assignments being a "request" rather than an actual "assignment" is so annoying, especially on long mileage runs like this. Were you on the 3:30pm last Sunday from SFO-PDX? If so, I was the guy in 3D...last flight of my VX mileage run. Good luck on the rest of your flights!
I still have 9C for 2 legs. though MCS cleared for SFO-PDX but agent cannot assign since i'm checked in. Chat lady said she cannot un-check me in.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still have 9C for 2 legs. though MCS cleared for SFO-PDX but agent cannot assign since i'm checked in. Chat lady said she cannot un-check me in.
My guess is that not all agents know how to "uncheck" people in...since that's your ticket to a MCS upgrade, I'm surprised they don't all know how to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.