Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Didn't want to get on the MCS list in the event only middle seats were left, so waited for less than 24 hours before my departing flight from SFO tomorrow before calling. Called Virgin America reservations, figuring that would be a good place to start, but received a recorded message that my call was being rerouted to Alaska reservations in Seattle.

My Virgin aircraft has rows 3-4-5 as MCS (recently changed - I was in row 5 in plain economy before and was bumped back to 7 with the aircraft change). Alaska agent could not see rows 3-4-5 on her seating chart and offered me something back in 18 (I passed). Transferred me over to Virgin America at this point where the line was immediately answered by an agent who put in the request, told me it instantly cleared, and assigned me a window seat.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Didn't want to get on the MCS list in the event only middle seats were left, so waited for less than 24 hours before my departing flight from SFO tomorrow before calling. Called Virgin America reservations, figuring that would be a good place to start, but received a recorded message that my call was being rerouted to Alaska reservations in Seattle.

My Virgin aircraft has rows 3-4-5 as MCS (recently changed - I was in row 5 in plain economy before and was bumped back to 7 with the aircraft change). Alaska agent could not see rows 3-4-5 on her seating chart and offered me something back in 18 (I passed). Transferred me over to Virgin America at this point where the line was immediately answered by an agent who put in the request, told me it instantly cleared, and assigned me a window seat.
Must be the new A321 with those rows as MCS.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Maybe this question belongs in the VX forum, but if you are upgraded to a middle MCS can you downgrade? Easy enough to just check in and choose a different seat in the main cabin, or would you need to call in?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Maybe this question belongs in the VX forum, but if you are upgraded to a middle MCS can you downgrade? Easy enough to just check in and choose a different seat in the main cabin, or would you need to call in?
Very good question!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:55 pm

Back on the phone again with Virgin after Alaska transferred me over (couldn't handle this request on their side). My booking now shows the same Virgin flight from SFO twice, one being in main cabin and another in main cabin select, though I only have the seat assignment in MCS. Can't check in on-line for either of them. Virgin agent says he has never ran across this, but deleted the main cabin flight and asked me to try on-line check in again and it worked fine. Clearly some bugs to be worked out still.

Originally Posted by Baze
Must be the new A321 with those rows as MCS.
Looked up fleet info and the first hit was Wikipedia, if that's accurate, showing they only have two of this aircraft.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Very enjoyable flight to Orlando. I had all of row 5 and the passenger across the aisle from me had all of row 4. Remaining four passengers, including one infant, were in row 3. Did select a sandwich from the video menu. Pity they only have two of these aircraft. F/A did remark about it being a new aircraft when I was first to board.

More photos in the two Alaska galleries linked below.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:30 am

Another round to get an MCS seat. Call Virgin and get rerouted to Alaska in Seattle. Explain to agent what MCS is and why I want a seat there. She tells me I'm already in the first row of economy (4), and I explain to her there is a row 3 that she can't see. Get transferred to Virgin America.

Agent at Virgin America takes my info, puts me on hold, and comes back to tell me I'm too early to request same day change for another flight. Not sure where she came up with that request as all I asked for was an MCS seat. Puts me on hold again, then came back and said the request was processed and she assigned me a seat.

Couple hours later try check-in with the Virgin app. App tells me I do not have a seat assignment, yet it is opening up the MCS seats so I can select from the two available rows (3 and 10 for this aircraft). Select a seat and complete check-in.

Not sure I want to go through another round of this for a sandwich or snack and a few inches of legroom (I survived a bunch of flights this year in row 19 and back).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Use Twitter to VX directly. It works for me. Send last name, VX conf code and ask to be put on MCS upgrade list. You will get a response in 5-10 min it is done (unless there are complications with the record).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Use Twitter to VX directly. It works for me. Send last name, VX conf code and ask to be put on MCS upgrade list. You will get a response in 5-10 min it is done (unless there are complications with the record).
The previous poster called (within the window I assume) and was assigned (after much hassle) a seat in MCS....would VX Twitter have done the same thing or are they just adding people to the upgrade list?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I haven't tried contacting them through twitter within the window as each time so far for me, I was upgraded right before T-24 and could select seat and print boarding pass on the VX web site. I presume Twitter team could upgrade and assign seat if available.

After suffering all the above pain myself, I have it down to a routine now that works well. Twitter request for list right after you book, and then pick seat at T-24 online and print BP. I just wish the add to upgrade list was automatic...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
MCS or FC with non-elite travelling companion

I am MVPG and have a SFO-BOS segment for my partner and I booked on VX through the AS website.

A few weeks ago I was able to move us forward to row 7, free for myself, and $40 for my non-elite travelling companion (partner.) I gather these center seats might stay vacant a little longer than the ones in the non-preferred area do, anyone know?

I hesitate to ask but has anyone elite gone through the hoops and been able to get into MCS and then pay to upgrade their travelling companion to MCS? Sounds like this is a long way off?

What about upgrading to FC and paying? My guess is by the time AS folks have such an opportunity everything up there would be full, but thought I would ask, as we are less than a month out before this trip.

Hope the purple mood lighting is worth it. When taking this trip, I've gotten used to OAK-SEA-BOS because most of the time, Alaska rocks.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Just spent literally 30 mins on the phone with VX to try to help an AS friend flying them tomorrow get an MCS upgrade.

It was finally a success, but now they can't check him in and say he has to see an agent at the airport to get a boarding pass.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:VX

I just booked a VX flight on Alaska's site. It's showing a fare code of Q, which should be MCS. But it's not (can't change seat to MCS). A week or two ago when I was looking @ the flight, it was booking into W, which would've been even better. At the time, MCS was cheaper than MC.

Has anyone else run into this?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:VX

I just booked a VX flight on Alaska's site. It's showing a fare code of Q, which should be MCS. But it's not (can't change seat to MCS). A week or two ago when I was looking @ the flight, it was booking into W, which would've been even better. At the time, MCS was cheaper than MC.

Has anyone else run into this?
If booking on AS, wouldn't AS' fare classes need to map to VX? AFAIK alaskaair.com does not support MCS, and one needs to book thru VX directly.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Now I look back on how messed up AS first class upgrade process was with fond memories. This MCS thing is such a pain I am just going to avoid VX totally until this becomes automated. Simply not worth the effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.