Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CIVET FIVE
Two things I noticed when checking in just now for my flight tomorrow morning:
1) It still wants to charge me $39 for SFO-SAN MCE. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these seats are released at check-in for elites?
2) It does recognize my status, as my BP now says MVP GOLD 75K on the both top next to the PreCheck logo, and again where they print the ffp.
For #1 , I believe that since it's a different "cabin", you have to call in and have an agent move you if there are open upgrade seats available & you weren't on the automatic upgrade list. I don't think you can move yourself. VX apparently holds back some MCS seats for last minutes sales according to what I read over on the VX forum so even if there are open seats, they may not be available for upgrades until the gate.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I had to call in my MCS request to VX directly at T-24 and I was placed on hold for 25 minutes to process the request. They did not know how to waive the charge. Unbelievable... any training done yet??
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I had to call in my MCS request to VX directly at T-24 and I was placed on hold for 25 minutes to process the request. They did not know how to waive the charge. Unbelievable... any training done yet??
The VX call center is notoriously awful....I avoid that all costs. I know I have been able to get seat assignments from their Twitter team...perhaps try that route for the MCS upgrades next time?
dmodemd likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Alaska MVP who flies VX each week...

Was finally able to select any seat, except for MCS for free with the update last week. I was too lazy to call VX to inquire about MCS within 24 hours. However, I went up to the gate at DCA and asked if it'd be possible to get a MCS seat (only if it wouldn't be a middle) as an Alaska MVP. The agent put me on the list as a VX Silver (took 10 seconds) and told me I'd clear around 30 minutes prior to departure (but after boarding since that begins 35-40 minutes before scheduled departure, which is really annoying).

I was paged about 10 minutes prior to boarding and handed a new boarding pass for MCS aisle.

Overall, worked out well with minimal effort. I'm just glad I can select seats in advance without having to pay.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
its also nice not having to pay for alcohol on VX Although I do like the unlimited food / beverage offerings on VX compared to our G75 benefit in Y on AS. I've been mixing the margarita mix with sprite & tequila with lime..
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
... and my upgrade for MCS tomorrow just cleared. Was able to select a window in row 3. I had to go to virginamerica.com, though, to select my seat.

It also seems we have the same PNRs now, ie - they've synchronized between Alaska & Virgin.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
... and my upgrade for MCS tomorrow just cleared. Was able to select a window in row 3. I had to go to virginamerica.com, though, to select my seat.

It also seems we have the same PNRs now, ie - they've synchronized between Alaska & Virgin.
So when the upgrade clears it doesn't automatically assign a seat? I thought that was the negative of being automatically cleared--the potential for a middle.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
DEN-SFO-DEN Update

Regarding my VX flights DEN-SFO-DEN today: nothing seemed to change at the 24-hour mark; on the VX site it indicated no upgrades available to MCS or F. I called AS and the agent was friendly but misinformed about the VX seats; she did not know that rows 3 and 10 are MCS; she could only offer me rows 4-9 or 11 and up. I already had rows 5 and 6 so I said "thanks" but changed nothing.

This morning I called VX and the also very friendly agent was able to put me in MCS (aisles in row 10, my preference as I dislike bulkhead seats) DEN-SFO and SFO-DEN. I inquired about an upgrade to F and took the offer of $110 SFO-DEN and an aisle seat in row 2. A fair price, I'd say, for a nice seat and dinner. The call took five or six minutes.

So I'll get to try the MCS/F combo. I'll report back.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
So I called VX asking to be put on the upgrade list and they said because it was booked with AS it would have to be done on there side, they also wanted an elevate number and I told them that I didn't have one. I'm guessing just HUCA and try a different agent, or am I missing something else?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I tried entering my Virgin PNR into Alaska, still not recognized.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I tried entering my Virgin PNR into Alaska, still not recognized.
Same here.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Perhaps only very recent VX PNRs are universal?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps only very recent VX PNRs are universal?
That's my guess.

Another step for the Eskimo absorption
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Has anyone tried to select preferred seating when traveling with a non-elite (MVPG and non- on same PNR)? I wasn't able to do it online (I could select free of charge, but VX wanted to charge non-elite passenger). Called in to Alaska and they cleared it up, assigned us both preferred seating without charge.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Formal announcement in today's blog post:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.