Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I've been fairly successful getting MCS upgrades as a 75k recently, but does anyone know the priority order? Are the upgrades only processed when you check-in, or is there some order of clearing automatically at T-24?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Buried in the FAQ:

How do I upgrade to Main Cabin Select?

If you book your flight on virginamerica.com, you’ll have the chance to opt-in during the booking process.

If you book your Virgin America flights on alaskaair.com, visit the Manage page on virginamerica.com after completing your booking to opt-in, or opt-in with an agent when checking in at the airport.

Note that by opting-in in to Main Cabin Select upgrades, you may be assigned an exit row or a middle seat. Main Cabin Select upgrades are available only to the member; companions are not eligible.

If available, MVP's will be granted the upgrade up to 12 hours before departure. MVP Gold and Gold 75K's will be granted the upgrade 24 hours before departure. Upgrades are cleared in order of tier, then time of booking. Note that you will not be able to see a waitlist display for Virgin America flights as you do for Alaska operated flights. To find out if you have received a complimentary upgrade, we recommend checking your reservation 2 hours before departure on VirginAmerica.com (even if you booked on alaskaair.com). Please note that upgrades are automatic and you will need to check back in if an upgrade was successful.

If you booked your flight via alaskaair.com, once your upgrade has been processed (up to 12-24 hours before your flight depending on tier) your flight will not be visible in your My account profile on alaskaair.com, or in the Alaska app. Rest assured that your flight is still confirmed, and you can manage your booking or check-in as usual with Virgin America as you would with any other Virgin America operated flight.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Buried in the FAQ:

How do I upgrade to Main Cabin Select?

If you book your flight on virginamerica.com, you’ll have the chance to opt-in during the booking process.

If you book your Virgin America flights on alaskaair.com, visit the Manage page on virginamerica.com after completing your booking to opt-in, or opt-in with an agent when checking in at the airport.

Note that by opting-in in to Main Cabin Select upgrades, you may be assigned an exit row or a middle seat. Main Cabin Select upgrades are available only to the member; companions are not eligible.

If available, MVP's will be granted the upgrade up to 12 hours before departure. MVP Gold and Gold 75K's will be granted the upgrade 24 hours before departure. Upgrades are cleared in order of tier, then time of booking. Note that you will not be able to see a waitlist display for Virgin America flights as you do for Alaska operated flights. To find out if you have received a complimentary upgrade, we recommend checking your reservation 2 hours before departure on VirginAmerica.com (even if you booked on alaskaair.com). Please note that upgrades are automatic and you will need to check back in if an upgrade was successful.

If you booked your flight via alaskaair.com, once your upgrade has been processed (up to 12-24 hours before your flight depending on tier) your flight will not be visible in your My account profile on alaskaair.com, or in the Alaska app. Rest assured that your flight is still confirmed, and you can manage your booking or check-in as usual with Virgin America as you would with any other Virgin America operated flight.
That sounds like a cluster, but whatever. If it works, it works. But in my experience, it doesn't work.
For my flights, there have been NO AUTOMATIC anythings. If you wanted an upgrade, you had to go to the check in desk or the gate counter.
When I did, I was told that I needed to opt in. I explained that I had opted in online, and was told that I couldn't have done that, because they'd see it on their computer screen.
Yeah, cuz I'm a thirty-something that doesn't know how to use an Interweb Browser Site.
Dotcom.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Feels like I’m the only elite on board lol
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Feels like I’m the only elite on board lol

I only see one or two on my SEA-DAL afternoon runs, judging by who boards when. Usually a couple non-revs as well may be in MCS, otherwise a couple of buy-ups. I wish they would start comp upgrading into those empty F seats!
SEA-DFW at around the same time has typically 45-55 elites on the waitlist.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
LAX-DAL AS/VX 1874 2/3/2018 - basically empty in 1st three rows - 2 non-rev in F, 2 paid pax in MCS row 3.

No upgrades for any elite
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Just booked through my corporate travel agent SFO-AUS for this thursday on VX. I was able to select preferred seats, got the last non-middle preferred seat. MCS is wide open and first is 50% per expertflyer. Hoping for an MCS upgrade but for now all I can do is opt-in...did call the MVP line to just gripe...
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Is there a subset of W and J seats that are available for upgrade?
My flight tomorrow is at J5 W6 and at OLCI it said no upgrades are available. Is there a letter code that can be searched on EF to find upgrades?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
my upgrade on FLL/LAX cleared about 30 hours in advance. Middle was empty; non-rev at window.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Just booked through my corporate travel agent SFO-AUS for this thursday on VX. I was able to select preferred seats, got the last non-middle preferred seat. MCS is wide open and first is 50% per expertflyer. Hoping for an MCS upgrade but for now all I can do is opt-in...did call the MVP line to just gripe...
Just checked-in and as a 75k no upgrade to MCS and no option to pay for first. Checked Expertflyer and there are 2 MCS seats open and 2 F seats. I really hate VX....calling MVP line to complain
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Just checked-in and as a 75k no upgrade to MCS and no option to pay for first. Checked Expertflyer and there are 2 MCS seats open and 2 F seats. I really hate VX....calling MVP line to complain
Nothing to complain about. Policy is that elite and purchase MCS upgrades at 24 and 12 hours are not last-seat-availability. If seats are not sold prior to departure, upgrades are cleared at boarding (approximately).
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
it also causes a few glitches when you originate on Alaska and connect to VX. We lose out on the option to buy into F.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
it also causes a few glitches when you originate on Alaska and connect to VX. We lose out on the option to buy into F.
Yes, it is funny when I check in online on VX web site and it grays out the first class upgrade option when I know all seats are open. Lots of missed upsell opportunity. I don't even know how much it would cost unless I ask at the gate.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
just got for the first time an auto upgrade to MCS on SFO-DEN. Not sure when it happened though but it is now just a tad under 24hrs before departure.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:03 pm

Love the boarding process SFO-AUS tonight. Group A and half the plane boards. I'm in group B as a 75k and by the time I board the overhead is 100% full. #hatevx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.