Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Did I miss something here? Maybe it's my 75K status, but for me upgrading into MCS from a normal coach seat (booked as part of an Alaska R fare) was as simple as calling Virgin America. The call was transferred to Alaska but the AS agent contacted Virgin and handled things for me just fine.

I'm flying in late November.
It is your status. As a Gold, I tried calling Virgin who then told me to call Alaska (since I had booked it through them). The Alaska agent told me to call Virgin. Had this happen 3 times for 3 separate flights----funny thing is I kept getting the same Alaska agent who kept passing me on despite what it said on the website.

SOOOOOO glad that the opt-in option is on the web now, not that it'll work for me but at least no more lazy or confused agents.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Did I miss something here? Maybe it's my 75K status, but for me upgrading into MCS from a normal coach seat (booked as part of an Alaska R fare) was as simple as calling Virgin America. The call was transferred to Alaska but the AS agent contacted Virgin and handled things for me just fine.

I'm flying in late November.
You were able to upgrade into a MCS seat free of charge without waiting for the T-24 upgrade period?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yes. I did it about five weeks out.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Yes. I did it about five weeks out.
Seems we need a primer on this. Or perhaps MM'ers get unpublished benefits
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PandaMVP
You were able to upgrade into a MCS seat free of charge without waiting for the T-24 upgrade period?
There have been isolated cases of this just happening....
It would be nice if the policy could be aligned with AS premium seating (allowing earlier selection). I don't see why it cannot be....

It might help that if everyone calling in for this ask for the immediate upgrade pointing out the AS premium seating policy. Even if denied at least they will get the feedback we notice and wish this was aligned.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have some VX flights coming up, first one this coming Monday. I tweeted VX to get on the MCS list. They replied back that there is now a link to do the request in the reservation on the VX site. Booked as AS flights on AS ticket stock. Went to the VX site and looked up the reservation using the VX confirmation number. Had already selected my seats using the hyperlink from the AS site earlier. Sure enough, there was a link to request to be put on the MCS upgrade list. I clicked on it and the page refreshed and the link went away. Is there any way to tell if the link actually did anything and I am on the list? Don't see anything in the reservation saying MCS wailtlisted.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
I have some VX flights coming up, first one this coming Monday. I tweeted VX to get on the MCS list. They replied back that there is now a link to do the request in the reservation on the VX site. Booked as AS flights on AS ticket stock. Went to the VX site and looked up the reservation using the VX confirmation number. Had already selected my seats using the hyperlink from the AS site earlier. Sure enough, there was a link to request to be put on the MCS upgrade list. I clicked on it and the page refreshed and the link went away. Is there any way to tell if the link actually did anything and I am on the list? Don't see anything in the reservation saying MCS wailtlisted.
Apparently not and see my post a few upthread - it doesn't seem to always work. Agent who fixed my situation said to call in - but she didn't seem all that informed so who knows.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Baze
Id tweet back, state you were told it didn't work for a friend and to see if they can confirmed tat you are wait listed.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Id tweet back, state you were told it didn't work for a friend and to see if they can confirmed tat you are wait listed.
Good point. Just tweeted them again and they said good to go. Already on list for both flights. So the link worked.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Have a flight in a few weeks SEA-LAX-FLL, of course LAX-FLL is VX. I booked on as.com

Link to VX site worked well, selected a decent cargo seat closer to front, put myself on MSC upgrade list.

It might be worth a pd upgrade to FC. I read it's cheaper to UG from MCS than cargo. Any ideas on LAX-FLL upgrade price from MCS to FC??
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:12 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BarryL
It might be worth a pd upgrade to FC. I read it's cheaper to UG from MCS than cargo. Any ideas on LAX-FLL upgrade price from MCS to FC??
$240?
Attached Images  
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by dayone
$240?
$240 would be worth it once on a transcon. Won’t VX send me an email trying to solicit a pd upgrade to FC (if avail)? As I recall these come T-24 before departure?

Only flown XV once before, it wasn’t a good experience as very limited benefits existed.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BarryL
Won’t VX send me an email trying to solicit a pd upgrade to FC (if avail)? As I recall these come T-24 before departure?
I have never seen one and the FC upgrade box is greyed out on check-in.

I then walk past a mostly empty F cabin. I guess they don't want money...

Only way I know how to do it (on an AS booked flight) is to call it in...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I have never seen one and the FC upgrade box is greyed out on check-in.

I then walk past a mostly empty F cabin. I guess they don't want money...

Only way I know how to do it (on an AS booked flight) is to call it in...
Or ask at check in desk or at gate. From what I have read, to do it online, don't check in at T-24 as the F buy up won't be there. Go at T-6 and it should be available. Never looked as T-6 is always 2-4 AM and I am not getting up that early to do a buy up to F.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:33 pm

Tried online under T-6 and FC upgrade was still grayed out. No seats taken.

That was after they fixed my reservation. Apparently, this time when I got upgraded to MCS, it kept my Main Cabin reservation as well so I had two records showing when I tried to check in on VX. I called in and the AS agent had to send me to VX where she killed the Main Cabin reservation.

Previously, whenever I auto upgraded to MCS at T-24, the Alaska reservation would disappear from their system and I would only have the MCS reservation in VX. Maybe they have tried to fix the behavior that removes the AS reservation but it is leaving a duplicate behind when VX sees it?

I will see what happens next time but my next VX flight isn't until mid-December. Hopefully more glitches are resolved by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.