Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Use AS Miles to Book British Airways Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use AS Miles to Book British Airways Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AMS-ANC ended up with a YQ of $206.30 booking last night.

Base fare 70,000 miles
Carrier imposed surcharge $206.30

Last edited by beckoa; Nov 11, 2017 at 9:56 am Reason: just YQ
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have recently booked:

EK J A380 SFO-DXB/26 days/DXB-JHB 105K
EY F A380 apartment AUH-SYD 100K via AA
QF F Domestic B737 SYD-DRW 20K
Paid LLC A321 DRW-DPS $80 all in
Paid KLM B777 DPS-SIN $100 all in
SQ J B777 SIN-DXB 45K Kris Flyer via SPG
CX J JNB-HKG/4 days/HKG-BOS 62.5K

Collectively, all the award booking fees and taxes totaled less than $350. Evidentally, I can't justify BA fees.
Well..you must be a magician since QF doesn't have domestic F......and if the choice is between using BA occasionally or NOT GETTING an award flight at all.... the choice is pretty simple....
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Thanks for this tip. Looks like Lisbon/Athens and other similar ones end up in ~$200-$250 oneway taxes also (as opposed to $500 or so right out of london).

Do we have a list of such origination points which keep the one-way taxes under, say, $300.
The basic rule is pretty simple. Originating in the UK, or stopping there for longer than 24 hours will trigger Air Passenger Duty, which is usually the thing that drives up the fees. APD is higher in premium cabins and for flights longer than 2000 miles.

So your list is:
UK - expensive
Other - usually not as expensive
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Calculon
The basic rule is pretty simple. Originating in the UK, or stopping there for longer than 24 hours will trigger Air Passenger Duty, which is usually the thing that drives up the fees. APD is higher in premium cabins and for flights longer than 2000 miles.

So your list is:
UK - expensive
Other - usually not as expensive
Note that INV is in the U.K...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I know that simply transiting the London airports knocks some off the fees....if you layover there, it seems to add about $250. Zurich seems to get US-LHR-ZRH of about $375. However, I was speaking with one of the partner award staff a few nights ago and she said the fees change sometimes hourly with BA so to keep checking back.....I don't know that they change by a lot but it's worth just checking online, I suppose.
I don't know about hourly...they seem pretty consistent. Exchange rates change daily, and they could theoretically file a new YQ several times a day, but they don't really do that.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Note that INV is in the U.K...
Yes it is. That’s why I described it as a “general” rule.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Well..you must be a magician since QF doesn't have domestic F......and if the choice is between using BA occasionally or NOT GETTING an award flight at all.... the choice is pretty simple....
Thank you for pointing out my typo. I updated my original post.

I didn't have any issues securing 2 J/F non BA awards to Europe for summer Mediterranean Cruises in 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016. Maybe I am a Magician... lol This summer I paid for 2 J earning 25K EQM & 35K RDM on AS securing MVPG75K.

For me, BA offers very little value. Am I going to burn 280,000 MP Miles and pay $1600 USD for 2 F awards to enjoy BA First (best business class in the world) on a "mid-haul" international flight from the west coast CAN/USA to the UK and then a blocked out middle economy seat in European Business onward? Not likely!

Looking at YVR-BCN next June on BA the return Y fare is $1261 CAD ($995 USD) including all fees and taxes on the A380 TATL sector. Hmmm, I can burn 140,000 Miles and save about $200 each for the privilege of a lie-flat seat on a sub 9.5 hour flight. Incredible value!!! Now if I wish to fly only to LHR the fees and taxes jump to $1030 USD. Of course, if one is buying non EQM miles to top up for their BA award it just seems utterly ridiculous but I also understand everyone values things differently. If no alternate awards are available, I am more than happy in Y for a route with a shorter international sector and would benefit from additional AS EQM/RDM while saving my MP Miles for more valuable 14hr + experiences.

I am aware that BA fees and taxes are different from certain markets. There is ZERO YQ fees on BA from HKG-LHR because HKG Government regulations forbid it. It isn't a valid route for an AS redemption on BA but it can be booked on CX.

EY does not pass on Surcharges to AA awards and AA even waived the phone booking fee for me without request because it can't be booked online. Similarly EK does not pass on surcharges to AS awards. Redemptions on EK, QF, JL, CX are all sub $100 for premium awards. HU & FI have higher fees but still not the extortionist rates BA charges for premium awards.

Phone rings! "Hello", "Hi" "You are the lucky winner of a British Airways Return First Class ticket to Europe! I just need your credit card to process the $1000 administration fee." CLICK!!
"Who was that honey?" "A scammer"

.....and if the choice is between using BA occasionally or NOT GETTING an award flight at all.... the choice is pretty simple
Absolutely! I dont get an award flight and AS doesn't get my Loyalty. Same principle.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS
Learned a quick lesson today.
Regarding BA award travel with AS Miles. 70,000 miles
Had 2X - 3/21
BCN - LHR Business
LHR/- SEA FIRST
Today, decided to try for a layover in London. Found award travel again on BA. (BA seems to only have F award seats on Thursdays)
Changed to
BCN/LHR 3/21
3/28
LHR - DEN FIRST/ DEN-SEA Main
Fees went from $310.31 per passenger to $540.31 per passenger
AS award desk had no idea why it increased. Same itinerary travel on same day fees were the $310.31
As he has me on hold, I found the answer here.
Stopping in the UK for longer than 24 hours will trigger Air Passenger Duty. In this case, it was the $200 or so increase in fees.

Thanks Calculon, good info. Even AS does not seem to know this rule. When he came back with still no clue, I gave him the answer and he said he would pass it on to the others.
Calculon likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; May 23, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
[QUOTE=pcoll;29786902
Thanks Calculon, good info. Even AS does not seem to know this rule. When he came back with still no clue, I gave him the answer and he said he would pass it on to the others.[/QUOTE]

Why would AS know this nuance? They barely do international bookings as it is.

I recently had an AS had an agent ask me what "CDG" was.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Not sure if there will be a change at all but BA's Avios award level is changing May 30 2019. There might be a changes afoot using Alaska Mileage on BA.

Jiburi
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
The leaked award info shows the old 7500 Avios award level moving to 9000. It also looks like the old 4500 award level might be coming back for flights under 650 miles, with a new cost of 6000 miles.

Neil
Old May 1, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by missamo80
The leaked award info shows the old 7500 Avios award level moving to 9000. It also looks like the old 4500 award level might be coming back for flights under 650 miles, with a new cost of 6000 miles.

Neil
Guessing the Zone 1 awards, 0-650 miles, will still not be available to, from or within in the US.
TPG chart: https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-br...r-award-chart/
Old May 2, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Uh, that's an Avios Chart- I think it's a wee bit misleading to have a thread title that implies a change in ALASKA's award chart for BA has been announced.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I presume BA APD is refundable beyond 24 hrs (I'm not worried about recovering the miles as a 75K, but not wild about losing ~$1000pp for what are currently placeholder tix at T-330) ... I can still cancel the booking within the 24-hr window
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767
I presume BA APD is refundable beyond 24 hrs (I'm not worried about recovering the miles as a 75K, but not wild about losing ~$1000pp for what are currently placeholder tix at T-330) ... I can still cancel the booking within the 24-hr window
Should be fine ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.